The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 66

User Info Menu

I really love all the albums he did with Richard Wyands on Electric keys!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I love Kenny. I'm also a huge Blossom Dearie fan, so the recording they did of Comden and Green tunes will always be on my playlist, up there with the two Kenny did with Tommy Flanagan and Trane.

David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    I love Kenny. I'm also a huge Blossom Dearie fan, so the recording they did of Comden and Green tunes will always be on my playlist, up there with the two Kenny did with Tommy Flanagan and Trane.

David
    Thanks for that. I adore Blossom Dearie. One of the best 'moments' of my adult life was walking along a levee in "New Orleans" while singing her version of "Someone's Been Sending Me Flowers" while my brilliant / creative friend Vicky (-who had never heard the song before) improvised a dance. The people with us applauded when we were done. It really was like something out of a musical....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Thanks for that. I adore Blossom Dearie. One of the best 'moments' of my adult life was walking along a levee in "New Orleans" while singing her version of "Someone's Been Sending Me Flowers" while my brilliant / creative friend Vicky (-who had never heard the song before) improvised a dance. The people with us applauded when we were done. It really was like something out of a musical....
    Yes! The Comden and Green recording is a rare intimate glimpse into hearing Kenny in such an intimate setting and though he doesn't play on every track, hearing him support Blossom is a treat. I was lucky to see Blossom live (as I've been lucky to see Kenny) and Blossom's audience rapport with the audience was legendary. She immediately made you feel like you were spending an after dinner evening in her living room. You knew when you set foot in the room this was the feel. One time a guy was there to impress a girl, and he was at a table talking to her about his jazz savvy. Blossom finished a song and quietly leaned into the mic "I will gladly refund your seat costs but I would appreciate it if you would leave right now. Thank you." Score. Keith Jarrett never tamed a room the way Blossom could.
    OK back to Kenny Burrell...
    David

User Info Menu

Yes, we should get back to Kenny, but one more Blossom story never hurt anyone. On one of her live recordings, she finishes a song, pauses for applause, then says, "My mother doesn't know I'm here. She has no idea I sing in nightclubs. She thinks I'm still in jail!"

(I think it's time for a new thread in "From the Banstand" called 'Audience patter.')

User Info Menu

If you havn't xhecked out the one dedicated to charlie christian then i'd suggest that one

User Info Menu

yeah - don't know the charlie christian one - so that's a score

as for the one's i play all the time:

with wynton kelly as leader - 'piano' (oddly titled i suppose)

various ones with jimmy smith (i particularly love 'the sermon' which has another guitarist on it too - 'blue bash')

'all night long' and 'all day long'

'round midnight' (is this early 70's maybe?)

obviously - 'midnight blue'

any record on which anyone plays 'greensleaves' (when they ain't playin a fruckin lute) is best not discussed (((imho)))

User Info Menu

"any record on which anyone plays 'greensleaves' (when they ain't playin a fruckin lute) is best not discussed (((imho)))"

I like this one, and there's no 'fruckin lute'

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nick1994
    If you havn't xhecked out the one dedicated to charlie christian then i'd suggest that one
    I can't help wondering: how many jazz guitarists have done albums dedicated to Charlie Christian? I have the ones by Kenny Burrell and Herb Ellis. (Well, I have them on CD....) Who else did one?

User Info Menu

Midnight Blue

Guitar Forms

Organ Grinder Swing

the Sermon

Back at the Chicken Shack...last three with Jimmy Smith

User Info Menu

If you have not read this I am sure you will get a bit out of this fantastic interview (and some pointers on recordings):

Kenny Burrell | Vintage Guitar® magazine

User Info Menu

My faves are the ones he played his D'A with the DeArmond pick up on it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I can't help wondering: how many jazz guitarists have done albums dedicated to Charlie Christian? I have the ones by Kenny Burrell and Herb Ellis. (Well, I have them on CD....) Who else did one?
    I actually only knew of the Kenny burrell one, now I want to check out this herb ellis one. I don't know of any more but I'm sure there might be a couple more out there.

User Info Menu

I keep 'promoting' his solo record 'Tenderly'... to me it one of the best solo guiatar performance ever, which represents brilliant thoughtful musian, arranger, composer in one person.

User Info Menu

this is just fantastic - thanks thanks thanks! especially to ingeneri

and to wintermoon - yes - if anyone can make greensleaves work its pd and jh - but i'm still not digging the jazz meets henry the eighth thing

every now and again i come back to kb and find myself thinking - this is just the best tone you can get out of a guitar

then i listen to peter bernstein and think something very similar

'the sermon' was pretty much my first exposure to jazz (that and 'portrait in jazz') - i still adore it

that wynton kelly album is a treat too

lots of new stuff for me here - what a great forum this is!

User Info Menu

Pretty much any KB album will be good!

Besides Midnight Blue and the albums with Jimmy Smith, one of my favourites is Soul Call. Another one, but not an obvious choice I supppose, is Weaver of Dreams, on which KB sings (and plays guitar, of course)!

User Info Menu

Blue Bash - it is in Kenny's name but is a Jimmy Smith Trio recording.

DG

User Info Menu

DG

All the Blue Note stuff that Kenny Burrell plays guitar on is great, but especially the Jimmy Smith records.

GT

User Info Menu

Ok, so I've got Midnight Blue (I'm pretty sure you all do as well). I have Guitar Forms, and some of the Jimmy Smith stuff.

And then I looked up his discography, and holy cow....

So what are some Kenny Burrell, either as a leader or a sideman, that I should be looking to listen to?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

These two albums have some great stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    These two albums have some great stuff.

Yes indeed!
    Hearing Freight Train is what put the hook in me a long time ago.
    Tommy (as usual) really knocks me out on that, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I recently purchased a double CD (Live At The Village Vanguard) of live recordings - three live albums recorded for the Muse label in the late 70s.

Definitely recommended: Ellington Is Forever Vol.1 and 2.

User Info Menu

One album that rarely gets mentioned is "The Tender Gender" from 1966 - perfect KB tone and a great bunch of sidemen:

The Tender Gender:

If Someone Had Told Me:

Girl Talk:

User Info Menu

I really like Lotus Blossom.

All his albums are worth having.

Kenny Burrell "Lotus Blossom" - Full Album - YouTube

Recommend A Kenny Burrell Album-0001343146682_600-jpg