The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 44

User Info Menu

https://resonancerecords.org/shop/wes-montgomery-back-on-indiana-avenue-the-carroll-decamp-recordings/

Pre-sale for two-CD set available now. Ships on April 19.
    Two-LP Record Store Day exclusive April 13

New live Wes Montgomery recordings-wes-montgomery-back-indiana-avenue-carroll-decamp-recordings-jpg

Pre-sale for two-CD set available now. Ships on April 19.
    Two-LP Record Store Day exclusive April 13

Montgomery’s early career in Indianapolis revealed in studio and live recordings by Indianapolis pianist and arranger Carroll DeCamp

Deluxe package includes essay by jazz scholar Lewis Porter and exclusive interviews with guitar giants George Benson and John Scofield

Los Angeles, Calif.—Resonance Records, the leading outlet for high-quality, previously unissued archival jazz releases, delves deeper into the early, unheard work of the innovative and influential guitarist Wes Montgomery with its April 13 (LP) and April 19 (CD) release, Back on Indiana Avenue: The Carroll DeCamp Recordings.

Maintaining its tradition of support for independent retailers, the label will initially issue the set — its sixth devoted to unreleased official Montgomery performances — as an exclusive limited edition 180-gram two-LP set on Record Store Day, the annual independent record store event. The vinyl edition is mastered by Bernie Grundman at Bernie Grundman Mastering in Hollywood and pressed at Record Technology, Inc. (RTI). Deluxe two-CD and digital configurations will be available April 19.

All iterations of the collection will include essays by jazz scholar Lewis Porter and Resonance co-president and producer Zev Feldman; plus interviews with master jazz guitarists George Benson and John Scofield; saxophonist, educator, and publisher Jamey Aebersold; and guitarist Royce Campbell, nephew of Carroll DeCamp, the late Indiana musician and arranger who captured the revelatory music heard on the new album.

Resonance’s most recent releases devoted to Montgomery have garnered widespread acclaim. Both 2018’s Wes Montgomery in Paris, a set of 1965 concert recordings from France’s Office of French Radio and Television archives, and 2017’s Smokin’ in Seattle, drawn from 1966 radio dates by the guitarist with pianist Wynton Kelly’s combo, were named among the top archival releases of the year by DownBeat, JazzTimes, and NPR Music’s Jazz Critics Poll.

Like Echoes of Indiana Avenue (2012), In the Beginning (2015), and the live One Night in Indy (2016), Back on Indiana Avenue surveys the music Montgomery made in his hometown during the years before he rocketed to fame after signing with Riverside Records in 1959.

Feldman – known in the industry as “the Jazz Detective” for his ability to ferret out previously unheard music — says, “In many ways, this is another case of Resonance solving a mystery. When we released Echoes of Indiana Avenue, we didn’t know the story of where the tapes had come from, but now with Back on Indiana Avenue we know they came from the great composer/pianist Carroll DeCamp. This release is another ‘holy grail’ find for Wes Montgomery fans.”

In his essay, historian Porter says the provenance of the material on that first Resonance collection became evident after he struck up a friendship with DeCamp, a noted arranger and musician who had been based in Indianapolisfor many years. At Porter’s suggestion, DeCamp’s protégé Brook Reindollar contacted Feldman about this precious store of buried recordings — some cut by Montgomery in a studio, some captured informally in “live” settings by DeCamp.

“Eventually,” Porter writes, “with the help of our mutual friend Jamey Aebersold, we tracked down Carroll’s cache of unissued Wes Montgomery recordings — almost three hours worth! You’ve heard some on Echoes of Indiana Avenue, but we did not know that those tapes came from DeCamp’s collection. This album rectifies that situation by giving Carroll full credit. Even better, it gives you and the world two more excellent hours of never-heard Wes!”

On the DeCamp recordings, Montgomery is heard in full flight in a variety of settings — piano quartets, organ trios, sextets, and drummer-less Nat “King” Cole-style trios. Though DeCamp made no notes on the personnel, dedicated research and listening by Porter and the late musician and educator David Baker suggests that the players included such close associates as Montgomery’s brother Buddy, the guitarist’s longtime organist Melvin Rhyne, pianist John Bunch, and even the legendary Indianapolis-born pianist Carl Perkins just to name a few.

The 22 selections on Back on Indiana Avenue include embryonic versions of several of the numbers Montgomery would record at his early sessions for Riverside, including “Round Midnight,” “Jingles,” “Whisper Not,” “The End of a Love Affair,” “Ecaroh,” “West Coast Blues,” “Four On Six,” “Mister Walker,” “Tune-Up,” and “Sandu.”

Feldman says, “These are very exciting recordings that Resonance is honored to present in conjunction
    with the Montgomery Estate. To be able to contribute to a large part of the legacy of such an iconic artist as Wes — with even more newly-discovered, great music — is very special. Unearthing not just run of the mill recordings, but some really great material from one of the guitar’s most distinctive voices, is a momentous event. Stuff like this just doesn’t pop up every day.”

Some 60 years after the music on Back on Indiana Avenue was recorded, Wes Montgomery still inspires awe in the distinguished guitarists who followed him.

As John Scofield notes in his interview, “He was the main man back then in the ’60s, so everybody knew about him. If you were a kid and wanted to learn about jazz guitar, he was at the top of the list.”
    Recalling the moment in 1961 that he heard Montgomery for the first time, playing “While We’re Young” on the radio of his 1952 Dodge, his great disciple George Benson recalls, “I had to pull over to the side because I’d never heard this great a tone in all my life.”

Track listing for Back on Indiana Avenue:

DISC ONE:

• Four On Six (4:45)
    • Mr. Walker (3:45)
    • ‘Round Midnight (7:12)
    • So What (4:56)
    • The End of A Love Affair (4:25)
    • Tune Up (4:34)
    • West Coast Blues (3:14)
    • Jingles (8:19)
    • It’s You Or No One (4:29)
    • Nothing Ever Changes My Love For You (5:56)
    • Ecaroh (3:49)
    • Sandu (4:26)
    • Whisper Not (6:45)

DISC TWO:

• Stompin’ at the Savoy (7:26)
    • It’s You or No One (Take 2) (9:21)
    • Opus De Funk (6:52)
    • Summertime (9:38)
    • Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (4:51)
    • Easy Living (5:49)
    • Four (5:36)
    • I’ll Remember April (5:23)
    • The Song Is You (8:48)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks for letting us know about this! For any fan of Wes and especially for completist collectors,this looks to be a major release.

User Info Menu

I'll be buying that!

Thanks for the heads up. Wes gave me a lantern and showed me the path.

This should be outstanding!

Thanks for the heads-up David!

User Info Menu

I'm initially excited to see this.

But...sound quality? I'm always worried about these "long lost" recordings.

User Info Menu

It's nice to have good sound quality but ANYTHING "new" by someone of Wes' caliber is worth hearing regardless.

I bought the "Indy" cd recently and it's great.
    Looking forward to this one, thanks David

User Info Menu

Looking forward to that!

User Info Menu

That is an amazing line-up - it will be great to hear Wes play Tune-up in a small group setting. So far the only recording I've heard of that was recorded late in his career and with strings - wonderful in its own way but I expect this cut would have given him room to spread out and solo through his classic form (single lines, octaves, chords). I'm looking forward to April 19!

I also think what Resonance is doing for jazz and for the families of players like Wes and Grant is a great thing.
    Last edited by Bflat233; 03-06-2019 at 12:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Wes played Tune Up on the cd Movin' Along. I believe he used an electric bass guitar on that version.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bebop Tom
    Wes played Tune Up on the cd Movin' Along. I believe he used an electric bass guitar on that version.
    I must have put that album (and the two takes of Tune-up) out of my mind because of the flute on that LP. Same story with Sandu. It's just not my cup of tea. The title track on that album provides Wes the space and time I'm talking about.

User Info Menu

Aaaagghhh, jazz flute. I hate jazz flute. Brrrrrr! These days I find most jazz sax hard to tolerate (too much overplaying and too many cliches), but I've never been able to stand jazz flute. Can't listen to recordings with it, even if it's Wes (or Tal, there's flute on one of his recordings).

But back to the topic, this sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun to hear. It always seemed to me that Wes had sprung upon the scene fully formed as a musician, an assessment he would likely disagree with, so hearing his earlier playing on these recordings is really interesting.

User Info Menu

"It always seemed to me that Wes had sprung upon the scene fully formed as a musician, an assessment he would likely disagree with"

He actually said he was playing better before that, but I don't know if he really meant it.

User Info Menu

In the Beginning was an ear-opener for me, with its collection of live and studio recordings of Wes et al. from 1949-1958 and some tangible reverberations of Charlie Christian, so I'm looking forward to getting into this material; thanks for the heads-up!

User Info Menu

My absolute favorite early recording is "The Wes Montgomery Trio" on the Riverside label, which was recorded in 1959. According to Wes' biography penned by author Adrian Ingram, it was Wes' first album as leader, and came after 20 years as a guitarist.

The album was recorded in New York City. The band is tight and the fidelity is amazing as you'd expect it would be. It will be cool to hear another album featuring the group's live recordings before that time in their home town. "Echoes of Indiana" is another pre-1959 complication from Resonance and the fidelity is just great. I expect as much from "Back on Indiana Avenue" since a number of Carroll DeCamp's recordings were on that LP, as well.

Is it April 19 yet?

User Info Menu

I was queueing up at 7.30am this morning for Record Store Day 2019. Got the Wes, the Bill Evans trio at Ronnie Scott's (also from Resonance), Charlie Parker with Strings alternate takes and Otis Redding live at Monterey.

Resonance continue to do fantastic work. Heavyweight vinyl and a beautiful package with extensive liner notes, interviews and photographs. Listening to it now.

New live Wes Montgomery recordings-eff02894-1368-48de-b606-3f346b354658-jpg

New live Wes Montgomery recordings-img_7215-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images New live Wes Montgomery recordings-img_7216-jpg New live Wes Montgomery recordings-img_7214-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnzo
    I'm initially excited to see this.

But...sound quality? I'm always worried about these "long lost" recordings.
    Your worries are well founded, I heard some of this recording. Sound quality is rather poor?

User Info Menu

Here's the link (actually hyperlinked) -- I know OP provided it in text form.

Wes Montgomery Back on Indiana Avenue: The Carroll DeCamp Recordings | Resonance Records

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Thanks for the tip on this! I ordered the Wes and Bill albums, but on CD.

I checked out clips online - the sound quality is reasonable IMO. When sound quality is not pristine, I find that listening through stereo speakers is better than headphones/earphones. Live recordings always have a bit of a vibe anyway and in general I'm less bothered by less-than-stellar sound quality for live recordings.

User Info Menu

These are previously unissued recordings of the greatest jazz guitarist ever (there, I said it)
    If you really love his playing, good sound quality is only a bonus imo.

User Info Menu

Are the Wes recordings available for download (flac files, etc} ?

Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    Are the Wes recordings available for download (flac files, etc} ?
    The earlier Resonance sets are all on iTunes, so I expect this will be. I can't find any means to purchase in FLAC or other formats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    The earlier Resonance sets are all on iTunes, so I expect this will be. I can't find any means to purchase in FLAC or other formats.

Thanks, David. I have never downloaded from iTunes before, do you know what format they use? I'm on Linux and can play most sound formats such as wav, flac, ogg, mp4, etc

Doug

User Info Menu

I just found the Wes Montgomery recording on 7Digital Canada site available for download. So I assume that it is also available on other 7Digital sites.

Doug

EDIT: All of the WM recordings by Resonance Records are all so available for download on 7Digital.
    Last edited by Doug B; 04-15-2019 at 07:21 PM.

User Info Menu

For private recordings from the 1950s, the clips of "So What" on Soundcloud and the excerpts in the youtube promo video are pretty clean and vivid. For jazz fans used to Charlie Parker and Lester Young airchecks, or Ellington's 1940s Fargo show and similar historical recordings, the sound on these Wes tracks is very easy on the ears.

The Bill Evans set from Ronnie Scott's, on the other hand, was a bit of a dissappointment to me. Certainly acceptable, but if you don't have any live recordings of his trio from the fall of 1969, the two CDs on Fantasy titled "Jazzhouse" and "You're Gonna Hear from Me", from a Scandinavian gig a couple of weeks prior to the Scott's gig--those have pretty wonderful sound and playing. I may have already collected all the Bill Evans I can possibly consume. Any time I think about getting another Evans historical live recording, I wonder what unknown jazz treasure I'm letting myself pass up in its place.