The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 44 of 44

User Info Menu

Here's the link for the digital download (in the US anyways): Back on Indiana Avenue: The Carr... | Wes Montgomery | MP3 Downloads | 7digital United States

There's 30sec samples of all the tunes, and IMO the sound is fine.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Live in Paris that came out last year is absolutely wonderful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    The Live in Paris that came out last year is absolutely wonderful.
    I agree 110 per cent. Anyone that has only heard Wes's later more commercial stuff needs to hear Wes and Co. doing some really good live jazz. Highly recommended.

Doug
    Last edited by Doug B; 04-16-2019 at 04:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    These are previously unissued recordings of the greatest jazz guitarist ever (there, I said it)
    If you really love his playing, good sound quality is only a bonus imo.
    +1 Anyone who disagrees with this assessment is simply wrong.

User Info Menu

Just downloaded this. Will be listening ALL DAY LONG. What a wonderful treat. Resonance Records is really doing a service by releasing these will care and quality. I love it.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the link, it isn't available elsewhere for download yet. I downloaded it and it's great. There wasn't a digital version of the liner notes/booklet though. Is there a way to get a copy as I've already purchased the download and ordered a CD version for a friend?

User Info Menu

It seems to be on iTunes which also includes a digital booklet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    It seems to be on iTunes which also includes a digital booklet.
    Yes, it is on ITunes for a dollar less than the other download site and also contains the booklet. You can't buy the booklet separately. Resonance Records site says CDs and digital download aren't available April 26. No mention of ITunes. Too bad, I would have saved a dollar and got the booklet too if they had their marketing together.

User Info Menu

The guy mentioned in the label, Carroll DeCamp, is the late uncle of jazz guitarist Royce Campbell. Royce told a bit of the story on Facebook, and I'm copying part of his post:

"I think the fact that they are using Carroll's name in the title is really cool. When I first saw that I got a little misty eyed. Carroll passed away 5 years ago at age 90. I'm sure Carroll would be very happy about this release. He loved Wes so much. I also have a special connection with those Wes tapes. The first time I heard Wes was a vague memory I have of a family get together where my uncle played the tapes. I think I was around 11. My uncle had the reel to reel tapes transferred to cassette tapes and I still have those. I learned how to play jazz listening to those tapes.
    I could go on and on about what a great musician my uncle was but you might think I was biased because he's family so I'll give a couple examples to prove my point...Carroll was such an accomplished pianist that Wes hired him to replace his brother Buddy on piano when Buddy left for the Army. Then Carroll was a guitarist also. When I joined Henry Mancini the guitarist who had done the previous tour on guitar was my uncle. Then as an arranger Stan Kenton, Les Elgart and the great clarinet player Eddie Daniels all enlisted Carroll to do arrangements for them and he also had over 100 published arrangements that are played by bands all over the world. In spite of his accomplishments Carroll still didn't receive the recognition I feel he deserved so you can see why I was moved by the fact he will be receiving some recognition from his Wes tapes. Thanks again to Zev Feldman and Resonance Records for making the release of the tapes possible."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Interesting about Jamey Aebersold-if he hadn't the foresight to digitize the tapes, these recordings may have disintegrated on tape and we wouldn't have them today!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    Interesting about Jamey Aebersold-if he hadn't the foresight to digitize the tapes, these recordings may have disintegrated on tape and we wouldn't have them today!
    It wasn't disintegrated, but didn't they say Carrol's house burned and he lost everything? Indeed, some foresight. A very interesting story all around how these tapes came to light.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnzo
    It wasn't disintegrated, but didn't they say Carrol's house burned and he lost everything? Indeed, some foresight. A very interesting story all around how these tapes came to light.
    It does make me wonder what other treasures might be out there waiting to be found; whether it's more Wes, Miles, Coltrane or many others!

Doug

User Info Menu

I keep hoping for the Coltrane-Wes jam session.

User Info Menu

That would sure be nice! Meanwhile I got one called The Cats-John Coltrane and Kenny Burrell.

Sign in | High-quality Music Downloads | 7digital Canada

Not too shaby!

Doug

User Info Menu

I got the CD today and listened to CD 1

This is amazing stuff. Listening to this is as close to a religious experience as it gets for me. A fully formed Wes Montgomery playing at his Riverside recording best.

Thank you Resonance Records! All six of their Wes releases are a must have.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I got the CD today and listened to CD 1

This is amazing stuff. Listening to this is as close to a religious experience as it gets for me. A fully formed Wes Montgomery playing at his Riverside recording best.

Thank you Resonance Records! All six of their Wes releases are a must have.
    Well, that's a great endorsement SS, thanks.
    So you can bet I'll be buying a copy sooner than later.
    Fortunately he's well documented on record as well as video, but undiscovered performances are always a treat, especially w such a consistently brilliant performer as Wes.

User Info Menu

I received the Wes (and Bill) albums yesterday and set aside a few minutes today to listen to some of Disc 1 (starting on Ecaroh) on my home stereo. Really great stuff and sound quality is quite good. Highly recommended.

User Info Menu

This new release has a vibe that any jazzer is going to love ... the recordings, the photographs, the writing, the packaging ... it's another collector's item from Resonance Records. Listening to these early renditions of Four on Six, Mr. Walker, Ecorah, Jingles ... all of it is blowing me away. We've been listening to this all day!

User Info Menu

Having spent some real time with this record, I'm just absolutely in love with it. I know. Surprising, right? Haha. I'm really blown away by the sound quality, but like others have said, it's all about hearing the evolution of what would become those first two Riverside Records.

So good.