The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 54

User Info Menu

Ed Bickert passed away on Feb 28/2019. He was, hands down, my favourite jazz guitarist of all time.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

RIP, Ed.

User Info Menu

RIP.

User Info Menu

R.I.P., Mr. Bickert. One of the greats.

User Info Menu

Sad day. A true master.

User Info Menu

The greatest harmonist ever on the guitar

Giant of jazz ,a sublime comper and soloist

Rest in peace Ed , we love you

User Info Menu

RIP.

Another one of the greats gone.
    Last edited by Drumbler; 03-02-2019 at 03:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Oh wow. Rest in peace, master

User Info Menu

He’s probably my favorite guitarist. I wish there were more recordings, but I prize those I have.

User Info Menu

love

User Info Menu

My telecaster gently weeps...RIP

User Info Menu

RIP. Where Ed has gone we all will go at some point ourselves as well. Play them guitars while you still can.....

User Info Menu

I was dreading this day. There's no one that can take his place. It's gonna be tough going to the gigs this weekend knowing this. RIP to one of the greatest that ever lived...

User Info Menu

Very sad!

User Info Menu

Sad news.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jbernstein91
    RIP.

Wow, that right hand looks so loose I am surprised that he can hold onto his pick!

User Info Menu

ugh so sorry to read that

rip ed bickert

cheers

ps- a fave recording with ed -pure desmond- jim hall turned desmond on to bickert

Last edited by neatomic; 03-02-2019 at 04:52 PM.

User Info Menu

R.I.P. master of the tele jazz. So fluid and clear in his playing.

User Info Menu

Huge loss for us. RIP Mr Bickert.

User Info Menu

He's still my go to for guitar comping. He did a really good record date with Frank Rosalino and you can really hear him let loose with the accompaniment. He comps exactly like what I used to say on the forum, his comps tell a story that is interwoven with the soloist. A lot of "horizontal thinking" going on, just like Jim Hall behind Paul Desmond.

What a player! Whatever happened to that docu-series that one of our forum members posted on here a while back? I remember that Ed spoke about comping "like a big band" or something to that effect.

User Info Menu

So sad to lose a master harmonist and put class into cool jazz.

We are reminded that it's not all about showboating but can be about quiet fire.

RIP Ed....it's up to us to learn from your legacy and put some of it into our playing each in our own voice.

We can hope that the videos available,especially those done by his son will be made into a longer document.

User Info Menu

that's the documentary I was talking about!

User Info Menu

RIP Mr. Bickert. Thanks for all the beautiful music you've left for us.

User Info Menu

This is very sad news. Having lived near Toronto all my life, I was fortunate to be able to see Ed play on a regular basis over the years. My favorite memories of Ed are watching him perform as a sideman in small, intimate combos at George’s Spaghetti House and George’s Bourbon Street (Toronto people will remember those venues). His comping and support to the rest of the group was absolutely perfect. Ed was a gentleman, very quiet and extremely humble, not seeking a lot of attention. My brother and I visited him after he retired and had a chance to ask him about his amazing career. He played with virtually everyone over the years and he shared some incredible stories with us. He was definitely one of the great jazz musicians. RIP Ed.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Great, great player. RIP Ed.