The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 54

User Info Menu

Such sad news! He will be missed!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If you have a Telecaster, take it out tonight and play it in his honor. And if you do or don’t listen to his music anyway - we lost a great player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

My heart is heavy.
    Ed was my idol and inspiration.
    Rest in peace Maestro.

User Info Menu

Oh, no! So sorry to hear this. Ed is one of my favorite musicians ever. My condolences to his family and friends, I hope they know how highly regarded Ed was by his peers and fans alike.

User Info Menu

Such an elegant guy and player. That congenial comping. Chordal passages like gentle bubbling brooks. And all with seemingly no pretense.

I'm home streaming everything Ed Bickert tonight, playing my Tele.

They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

RIP, Maestro.

User Info Menu

Very sad, love Ed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    This is very sad news. Having lived near Toronto all my life, I was fortunate to be able to see Ed play on a regular basis over the years. My favorite memories of Ed are watching him perform as a sideman in small, intimate combos at George’s Spaghetti House and George’s Bourbon Street (Toronto people will remember those venues). His comping and support to the rest of the group was absolutely perfect. Ed was a gentleman, very quiet and extremely humble, not seeking a lot of attention. My brother and I visited him after he retired and had a chance to ask him about his amazing career. He played with virtually everyone over the years and he shared some incredible stories with us. He was definitely one of the great jazz musicians. RIP Ed.
    Keith
    I had the same experience. My dad would take me to see Ed at George's. I was in my teens and, at first, I had no idea what was going on musically (my head was filled with Bachman, Turner Overdrive) but I knew I liked Ed's playing. No flash but he would spin those beguiling solo and inner lines all night. It was rather intoxicating.

Sad news.

Here is an obituary from our Ottawa paper. Peter Hum, the author, is an excellent pianist here in town.
    RIP, Ed Bickert | Ottawa Citizen

User Info Menu

That's bad news...

Rest in peace.

One of my favorite pieces... such a great tone and feel

User Info Menu

RIP Ed Bickert-eds-guitar-2-jpg

User Info Menu

Requiem In Pace, mr. Ed Bickert.

Your legacy will surely live on for whole generations of Jazz guitar players to come.

Yours very truly,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TLerch
    Now, that is a real roadworn Tele!

User Info Menu

This is the album with Frank Rosalino that I was referring to, I really like it. Listen to how Ed says, "I'm not just accompanying you, Frank. I want to be part of your story too!"

The rest of the album is even better, including a nice take of 'Round Midnight.

User Info Menu

thanks Tim

User Info Menu

One of my favorite guitarists. He will be missed, here.

User Info Menu

Vale Ed!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TLerch

really quite the guitar..rosewood fingerboard tele..ashtray bridge cover intact (with the pez machine style printed sticker)...hex wrench taped to pickguard...and string ends not cut at tuner..for added vibe!! haha...classic humbucker replacement in neck..but done well..with polepieces in right spot...classic...(tho they could have bypassed the pup ring) & little bit of natural wear on upper bout..(real relicing)

in the aforementioned vimeo vids ^ by eds son, one episode talks about this magic guitar...and the lack of a fender ed bickert model

rip

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    This is very sad news. Having lived near Toronto all my life, I was fortunate to be able to see Ed play on a regular basis over the years. My favorite memories of Ed are watching him perform as a sideman in small, intimate combos at George’s Spaghetti House and George’s Bourbon Street (Toronto people will remember those venues). His comping and support to the rest of the group was absolutely perfect. Ed was a gentleman, very quiet and extremely humble, not seeking a lot of attention. My brother and I visited him after he retired and had a chance to ask him about his amazing career. He played with virtually everyone over the years and he shared some incredible stories with us. He was definitely one of the great jazz musicians. RIP Ed.
    Keith
    I, too, was lucky enough to have seen Ed (with Don Thompson and (I think) Terry Clarke)
    at George's. Such a loss. Ed will be missed.

User Info Menu

RIP Ed Bickert-20728154_1482652188438982_1811816092521463887_n-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    RIP Ed Bickert-20728154_1482652188438982_1811816092521463887_n-jpg
    Wonderful photo.

A nice remembrance can be found here: So Long, Ed: A Remembrance - Steve WallaceSteve Wallace

User Info Menu

Great tribute by Steve Wallace.

User Info Menu

I suspect you all know but - just in case - the whole series of video interviews with Ed can be found here:

Jeff Bickert on Vimeo

The interview linked above is part of this series.

User Info Menu

I will miss you Ed
    listening to one of your CD almost every day since years
    EmilP

User Info Menu

Understated genius. RIP

User Info Menu

Finally, an obit in the Globe & Mail: Jazz virtuoso Ed Bickert influenced a generation of Canadian guitarists - The Globe and Mail

If a quiet mind is considered a crown, Ed Bickert was the king of calm jazz guitarists. The Canadian great was a celebrated introvert and a genius in the background. His nimble style and four-bar wit demanded to be heard, but only in the best hushed, economical and distinctively harmonic ways. An appreciator of turtleneck sweaters, he cleared his throat only if he had something absolutely necessary to say, and although he usually spoke with his Fender Telecaster, occasionally he used words...

User Info Menu

Well, I'm embarrassed to say I never really listened to Ed, somehow he just passed me by. But I've certainly enjoyed listening to the videos in this thread, and sure wish I could play like him. Wow, such a tasteful player. Better late than never, I'll be listening to him a lot from now on. Sorry to hear he has gone.