The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

I was looking at Pat Metheny's output and he releases an album a year (on average) all the way back to Bright Size Life: Pat Metheny - Wikipedia ... but nothing recently. The last two releases, KIN and The Unity Sessions were recorded in 2014, so there's been a good four years break there. Anyone know what's up?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Man, that Slaman Waiting List must have taken a long time! Actually, I was just wondering about a new Metheny myself. I see he is still touring a lot. Hopefully, he gets back in the studio soon, but maybe he is slowing down because of the state of the music business. The biggest players and bands are barely moving very few units... Is it still worth it to him to make an album a year when he is probably making more money from the road?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SandChannel
    Man, that Slaman Waiting List must have taken a long time! Actually, I was just wondering about a new Metheny myself. I see he is still touring a lot. Hopefully, he gets back in the studio soon, but maybe he is slowing down because of the state of the music business. The biggest players and bands are barely moving very few units... Is it still worth it to him to make an album a year when he is probably making more money from the road?
    True, true, but you gotta have merch to sell on tour. But then, how about PM hair scrunchies that double as string dampeners?

User Info Menu

Linda Oh said in an interview (as did Antonio Sanchez) that they recorded a record with Pat and Gwilym Simcock I think at least a year ago.
    Maybe Pat wasn't satisfied with the outcome and the album's never going to come out, who knows?

User Info Menu

He's building Orchestrion 2: Judgement Day.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Orchestrion must have been a crazy tour for the roadies. And to think people here were moaning about stereo amp configurations.

User Info Menu

I saw him on that tour - it was bonkers.

User Info Menu

oh yeah that's the improved one that can assume the shape of any other guitarist.

User Info Menu

He does tour a lot. From his web site I see a new tour "Pat Metheny Side Eye" starting on March 23 in ... Homer, NY? I used to live in the Finger Lakes (in Ithaca). Homer is a tiny town! Interesting start.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    oh yeah that's the improved one that can assume the shape of any other guitarist.
    Liquid metal.

User Info Menu

Liquid metal.
    So Tosin Abasi mostly then?

User Info Menu

What if we asked Paul Gilbert to use the neck pickup and roll his tone back a bit...

User Info Menu

Liquid metal.
    Pat’s always been quite mercurial.

User Info Menu

maybe he is slowing down because of the state of the music business. The biggest players and bands are barely moving very few units
    This, I spent a little time a couple years ago trying to shop original tunes and got the same reply from artists and label folks. John Santos even told me he couldn't even look at other peoples material cause he was having a hard time just getting his own originals recorded.

User Info Menu

Haha!!! Not quite, but close! Stay tuned.......

User Info Menu

Most likely answer is the same for many artists these days; why spend the time, money and effort to make a recording that can and will be digitally stolen within hours of release?

User Info Menu

And at the level Metheny is we re talking some serious money to record an album..

User Info Menu

Someone told me that the recent firing of Lindsey Buckingham was largely because he wanted to make another recording while the others thought why do it when nobody buys CD’s. Imagine a rock band spending 18 months and tons of money (not counting the grams) to make Rumours today....it just couldn’t happen, they’d be piarated into the poir house.