The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 113 of 113

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Equating jazz with shredding is the worst mistake you can make.
    Semantics!

Ray

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Why oh why?

User Info Menu

Well I find jazz musicians that super-speed up and down the range of their instrument with barely a pause, often to the detriment of the rhythm and feel of the music, to be boring to listen to. I'd much rather they go slower, leave lots of space, and produce exquisite harmonies and tensions that I was not expecting. Just IMVHO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RayS
    Semantics!

Ray
    I nearly liked this...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by James W
    This not so much... for a reason I can't be bothered to put into words

But it's harmless enough as a technical etude I suppose...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    This not so much... for a reason I can't be bothered to put into words

But it's harmless enough as a technical etude I suppose...
    There's more than meet the eye here for those willing to look..... Ben also does this which is very informative/instructive and very much along the concepts/ exercises Pat Martino taught

(Matteo does it too)

Ray
    Last edited by RayS; 05-04-2022 at 04:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by j4zz
    Well I find jazz musicians that super-speed up and down the range of their instrument with barely a pause, often to the detriment of the rhythm and feel of the music, to be boring to listen to. I'd much rather they go slower, leave lots of space, and produce exquisite harmonies and tensions that I was not expecting. Just IMVHO
    In that case, you must not appreciate these, so you have my pity:

User Info Menu

Compare and contrast.

User Info Menu

No rests, no space, no music, but it’s a lot of noise.

User Info Menu

Forum etiquette would dictate that if one doesn't like a specific thread's subject ..one should move on ! AFAIK This is not an opinion poll, why make it so? I find this behaviour "rude" to say the least....

The subject was and is "Jazz shredders " guitarist is blowing through changes like a maniacal demon

find your demon....

Ray

User Info Menu

Forum etiquette would dictate that if one doesn't like a specific thread's subject ..one should move on ! AFAIK This is not an opinion poll, why make it so? I find this behaviour "rude" to say the least....

The subject was and is "Jazz shredders " guitarist is blowing through changes like a maniacal demon

find your demon....

Ray
    He's right. You should just put them on Ignore like I've done. You can also put the thread on Ignore, which I've done also.

User Info Menu

There's more than meet the eye here for those willing to look..... Ben also does this which is very informative/instructive and very much along the concepts/ exercises Pat Martino taught

(Matteo does it too)

Ray
    Oh I'm willing to look, and also wanting to like. FWIW I like blazing fast Jazz when it sounds like music as opposed to sounding like a "sport", if you get me... I mean, you mention Martino, who is wasn't a particularly "fast" player, but often played at tempi that still created excitement (great lines, great taste). Him playing any faster would have made the music worse (like Tal Farlow maybe?- ouch!). Just as turning up your amp beyond it's sweet spot makes it worse, or turning up the colour on your TV makes it worse. Sure, one person's "sweet spot" will differ from the next person's, but I'm pretty sure it's universally acknowledged amongst "good" jazz guitarists that speed for speed's sake is not particularly desirable or even admirable. Combine it with killer lines, killer expression and dynamics, killer time and feel, and killer sound... well yeah, now your talkin'

Which is why I think you're comparison of young guitar shredders to Jazz greats like Coltrane is missing the point of what Hard and Post Boppers were going for when playing uptempo. It's like comparing a contemporary video gamer's nerdy skill to a pissed off Hard Bopper from the 50'-60's. Or to put it another way (at the risk of belabouring my point), just because you can type fast, it won't always follow that you can tell a compelling story, right?

Hmm, maybe that kind of video should have its own Youtube channel - call it something like "Jazz Sports" ?