The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Allan Holdsworth interview from 'Guitar' magazine, September 1974.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The accompanying photo is interesting: Holdsworth playing a Gibson ES-175. Not an instrument one tends to associate with him. In that era he is usually shown playing a white Gibson SG.

User Info Menu

I found some references online where he said he played a 175 for a while when he was with Tempest.

User Info Menu

Great interview. Thank you very much Graham. Although I admire Alan Holdsworth for a long time, to me there was some mystery around the man and the process of his music, that this interview dissipates a lot.

Envoyé de mon SM-G930F en utilisant Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I said before on a thread that he didn't read music and I got killed for it.

I remember seeing him in a small-ish club in the mid '80s. I came across two young 20's years old girls who were there and we started up a conversation. I was surprised that they were into his music and knew a lot about him. Of course they could have said all that just to meet guys. I think that they were the only girls there.

User Info Menu

Here are lots of interviews of Allan. Press coverage - Allan Holdsworth Information Center
    And someone made an excellent site dedicated to his entire career. A Thread of Lunacy

User Info Menu

another great interview...from my fave era of ah..when he first burst forth on the scene..with a mindblowing force!!!...glad to see he gave beloved soft machine some props

thanks g!!..keep 'em coming!

cheers

User Info Menu

Ok, not much else left, I think there’s a Joe Pass interview, I’ll have a look.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I found some references online where he said he played a 175 for a while when he was with Tempest.
    This is where I found the 175 info. The headings are links to more details about each guitar and where Allan mentioned it etc.

Allan's guitars - Allan Holdsworth Information Center

User Info Menu

Fascinating interview, thanks for sharing. I'd always assumed Allan had studied Schlominsky scales and such much earlier than this but it seems he didn't seriously get down to practising properly until the early seventies, when he already had a monster technique.