The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 234

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    JVR and MVI-- the European connection of killer tone (and playing)
    Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Bernstein's been in the Netherlands this week. Did some dates with JVR earlier in the week. He's playing with MVI on Sunday. If I wasn't working, I would be looking to get a cheap flight to The Hague to catch them!

I was about to ask since a few month, now it's the time: How can one get information about Jesse van Ruller dates in Europe? It seems as a top secret, I am googling it regularly with no result...
    Last edited by Gabor; 02-28-2019 at 03:28 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Robben Ford
    Scott Henderson
    And a whole bunch of others!
    Jeff Beck (from BBB through There and Back)
    David Gilmour
    Peter Frampton
    Alex Macachek
    Sco (at times)
    Pat
    Alan (guitar Alan...not synth Alan)
    Kurt (guitar Kurt...not synth Kurt)
    Ken Talve
    Mike Landau
    Joe Bonamassa
    Krantz
    Jimmy Herring
    Paul Bollenback/Vic Juris
    Last edited by jbear; 02-28-2019 at 05:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor

I was about to ask since a few month, now it's the time: How can one get information about Jesse van Ruller dates in Europe? It seems as a top secret, I am googling it regularly with no result...
    I see he has a Facebook page, perhaps it has information. I don't know, because I don't do Facebook. At all. If he has an actual website, I don't see it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I see he has a Facebook page, perhaps it has information. I don't know, because I don't do Facebook. At all. If he has an actual website, I don't see it.
    Yes he has a facebook page, the single line there is a past year december gig...
    No traces at all...

User Info Menu

Jazz guitar tone's a funny one. Was listening to Kenny Burrell's A Night at the Vanguard album. Stellar stuff, and a classic jazz tone, but at the same time I find my ears wanting tonal variety. I think there's something about the soupy midrangey live Gibson sound that can sound a bit tiring on the ears.

I think that what I really like from guitar in that kind of setting is a bit of acoustic top end. I like when players mike the instrument itself. You need the right kind of top end really... If it's just the pick up tone it can be a bit bright. Obviously in the days of recording on one mic, you would naturally get some of the acoustic tone from the box.

Chico Pinheiro seems to be using a DPA mic for this purpose and has a great tone that I find very attractive to my ears.

User Info Menu

Related to tonal variety; (starts around 2:20 but one can hear how Philip is changing his sound as he gets to that point). Of course he is using a pedal to get this "dirty" sound but to me it makes the solo much more interesting (verses if he just stayed with the same sound for the entire solo).

User Info Menu

Larry Carlton first, then Grant Geissman, his solo over Chuck Mangione's "Feels so good" is amazing, Martin Taylor, Pat Metheny on One Quiet Night, SRV, Anthony Wilson on any of his recordings with Diana Krall.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sundogg52
    Larry Carlton first, then Grant Geissman, his solo over Chuck Mangione's "Feels so good" is amazing, Martin Taylor, Pat Metheny on One Quiet Night, SRV, Anthony Wilson on any of his recordings with Diana Krall.
    One Quiet Night is exclusively on a baritone guitar, I believe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Jazz guitar tone's a funny one. Was listening to Kenny Burrell's A Night at the Vanguard album. Stellar stuff, and a classic jazz tone, but at the same time I find my ears wanting tonal variety. I think there's something about the soupy midrangey live Gibson sound that can sound a bit tiring on the ears.

I think that what I really like from guitar in that kind of setting is a bit of acoustic top end. I like when players mike the instrument itself. You need the right kind of top end really... If it's just the pick up tone it can be a bit bright. Obviously in the days of recording on one mic, you would naturally get some of the acoustic tone from the box.

Chico Pinheiro seems to be using a DPA mic for this purpose and has a great tone that I find very attractive to my ears.

Chico sounds terrific on that Benedetto guitar. It came, I believe, with that external mic as well as the magnetic pickup. I know he uses the external mic, I don't know how he blends them, if at all.

Before the Benedetto, Chico played a 175, Frameworks nylon and a full bodied classical(s) of some type. Maybe others. Sounded great on every one of them. He has a particularly precise touch in the way he articulates notes which brings out the best in any guitar, for single notes and chords. I heard him sit in with Strings Attached on Mark Whitfield's guitar and he sounded great on that one too.

The first tune in the video is Tempestade, an original. The drummer is Rafa Barata, who toured with Eliane Elias, among other credits. World class player. I'm always amazed how comfortable Chico's groups are in odd meters.

User Info Menu

He doesn't always use the mic. Here is what a carved-top archtop is supposed to sound like. I really want a Bravo Elite, but I don't have 15 large in disposable funds.

User Info Menu

The tone Kenny Burrell gets on “Weaver of Dreams” is so gorgeous. I just personally wish he didn’t roll the tone knob so far back (or cut top end off with EQ). It seems so airy and bell-like and then flattened too much for my personal taste.

User Info Menu

Graham Dechter
    Jake Langley

User Info Menu

With a guitar and amp there is the obvious output tone that is heard, but there is also a much more subtle aspect of tone that interacts with the connection between the player's ears and fingers. People are mentioning the tone of being close to breakup - the glassy region of increased compression and sustain that emerges before rolling into over drive, where it sounds like the strings just sing, the response is vivid, chords are alive and balanced, dynamics and phrasing come easy, naturally... because you have added a few additional degrees of freedom beyond the absolutely clean tone. There are endless ways to describe this, but you know when it is happening because the ear, hands, guitar, and amp all sound like they become fused into the tone zone. It is a little bit like the difference between playing just slightly out of tune and playing in perfect tune - it becomes physically and mentally easier to hear and play.

Recording and touring pros have a lot of opportunities to explore how to find this and those with the best tone have held onto what worked with their personal hand and ear contribution to this result. Just attempting to match their gear can't include matching their ears and hands, so you can't just buy a copy of their guitar and amp and expect to achieve and hear the same tone. Just like the pros who have found their tone, we have to search and find what works for ourselves... a wonderful day when we do!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    How do you get the hair? Pedal?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Chico sounds terrific on that Benedetto guitar. It came, I believe, with that external mic as well as the magnetic pickup. I know he uses the external mic, I don't know how he blends them, if at all.

Before the Benedetto, Chico played a 175, Frameworks nylon and a full bodied classical(s) of some type. Maybe others. Sounded great on every one of them. He has a particularly precise touch in the way he articulates notes which brings out the best in any guitar, for single notes and chords. I heard him sit in with Strings Attached on Mark Whitfield's guitar and he sounded great on that one too.

The first tune in the video is Tempestade, an original. The drummer is Rafa Barata, who toured with Eliane Elias, among other credits. World class player. I'm always amazed how comfortable Chico's groups are in odd meters.
    From personal experience I imagine amp on stage and dpa/amp blend front of house.

Don’t want that shit in the monitors trust me

User Info Menu

Lately I've been enjoying this tone a lot. Maybe I need a Fender amp in my life.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Lately I've been enjoying this tone a lot. Maybe I need a Fender amp in my life.

Yes that dude has a fantastic sound

User Info Menu

I'm amazed nobody has cited Barney Kessel. One of the founding fathers of jazz guitar. He had a terrific tone with his ES-350 equipped with a CC pickup. What a drive!

Also, for the modern players, John Abercrombie's sound was one of my favorites. Both with pick (early years) and fingers (his last 30 years).

Cheers.

User Info Menu

easy, Reverb to 11.

User Info Menu

• Ed Bickert - great jazz tone from a Tele is possible! Who would have thunk? (RIP)
    • Allan Holdsworth - aways identifiable whether on clean, distorted or synth guitars. (RIP)
    • Jimmy Raney
    • Johnny Smith - the chord voicing from heaven!
    • Jim Hall
    • Marc Ribot - love his angular note choice and sense of rhythm. Anyone who could have the crowd at a Knitting Factory gig out of their seats and dancing is a hero in my book!
    • John Scofield - instantly identifiable touch no matter what guitar and tone he is using.
    • Bill Frisell - impeccable touch and time.
    • John Abercrombie - his tone and style changed over the years but his playing was always beautiful.(RIP)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by p1p
    easy, Reverb to 11.
    Ha, if only it was that easy... But guess we don't want to go into the eternal debate how much tone comes from the fingers.

User Info Menu

Listening to Bill Frisell all day today...excellent tone both processed and (relatively) clean. I think most people who play jazz on a Tele (RIP Ed Bickert) learn the value of touch regarding their sound.

User Info Menu

and a wig.

User Info Menu

Nobody seems to like John McLaughlin's tone !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    and a wig.
    I'm thinking about it! Or at least I'm thinking how to look cool on stage AND have a great tone.