The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 234

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Nobody seems to like John McLaughlin's tone !
    I like 60s/70s JM tone

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

strange but I never cared much abouot the tone... I tried to think about it now and I can't... it is too much connected with music taht is played...

By the way I like how Julian Lage tries to creat esome kind of idiomatic tone for every type of guitar... he really has some cultural vision how Martin, or archtop, or Tele or Les Paul thing should sound and this vision is in some sense historic... he relates hiself with tradition this way.
    And he developes that speicfic guitar tone association...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    strange but I never cared much abouot the tone... I tried to think about it now and I can't... it is too much connected with music taht is played...

By the way I like how Julian Lage tries to creat esome kind of idiomatic tone for every type of guitar... he really has some cultural vision how Martin, or archtop, or Tele or Les Paul thing should sound and this vision is in some sense historic... he relates hiself with tradition this way.
    And he developes that speicfic guitar tone association...
    That’s a really interesting point.

User Info Menu

This morning I have been listening to Rene Thomas, and I think his tone is quite wonderful too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Nobody seems to like John McLaughlin's tone !
    I think his tone on Electric Guitarist is just awesome. One of my favorite guitar albums ever.

User Info Menu

John Gray does it for me. He is instantly recognisable, too. His one leader album The New Wave with Herb Ellis on second guitar is a gem. And, listen for him on Nancy Wilson albums. I also like Chuck Wayne and George Barnes. They all are so clean, fast, inventive and warm, warm warm.

User Info Menu

I like Bauer's tone on the entire album; Plectrist. It has a warmth but also that snap when called for.

User Info Menu

I like Bauer's tone on the entire album; Plectrist. It has a warmth but also that snap when called for.

(sorry for the repeat so I posted another song)

User Info Menu

I have come to realise that I am not sure if I know what is tone. I suppose it is the result of a combination of mind and fingers, guitar and amp; but is it consistent? Do these guitarists we have elected as masters of tone have one tone or several? Do they develop their tones? Do their tones deteriorate? Can we name good guitarists who were let down by bad tone?

User Info Menu

Something like this would be my ideal for a tone I would like to work with. The playing ain't half bad either. As much as love the classic clean jazz tones, I like to hear a little breakup in guitar

User Info Menu

I love that the first post here echoes my feelings exactly
    Kenny is the most underrated guitarist ever, and his tone and feel are TO DIE FOR!!
    Plus he's a Detroit cat, which makes him even cooler, because I'm from Michigan lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patshep
    I love that the first post here echoes my feelings exactly
    Kenny is the most underrated guitarist ever, and his tone and feel are TO DIE FOR!!
    Plus he's a Detroit cat, which makes him even cooler, because I'm from Michigan lol
    Detroit's a good jazz heritage..

User Info Menu

The best of the best have already been mentioned. I really like the arrangement by this fellow, Hagai Rehavia. Hope it's not too far OT.

User Info Menu

Jesse Van Ruller, with his Westville. What a great sound.

User Info Menu

sg--sorry, but I'm afraid there may be songs that are simply better if not jazzed up too very much.

User Info Menu

Everyone has an opinion. And the subject of the thread is tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I like 60s/70s JM tone
    I love his sound ( and his playing ) on Bitches Brew and Extrapolation - I think he was using a cheap Fender , a Musicmaster or something .

The Mahavishnu Orchestra can do one though .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    ew. fantastic playing though holy shit

This may be the Guiness Record for greatest playing with mediocre tone .The Martino clip .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robertkoa
    This may be the Guiness Record for greatest playing with mediocre tone .The Martino clip .
    He's playing on a detuned 12-string, strung in (almost) unison. Yikes!

User Info Menu

Hank Garland’s tone here is heavenly! I do love guitar with a big plate reverb, to me that’s the quintessential 50s bop guitar sound.

Oh Joe Pass’ tone on For Django is great too!

User Info Menu

There are so many nice and inspiring guitar tones. Here's one I like.
    A production by Universal Music Australia. I've been trying to find out who plays the guitar...-Do you know?

User Info Menu

Being from Detroit, I have seen Kenny Burrell a few times and I do remember thinking, "Gee what a nice sound AND a great player." Also saw Joe Pass with Ella. His sound was great of course, but his amp was picking up a radio station and while we couldn't hear it, he did - he held his mic up to the amp so we could all hear it and he made a joke about it. However, when Ella came out, you can forget all discussions of "tone." Her voice, in person, was indescribable.

I'm sorry, but what sticks out to me with so many 1970s and 1980s jazz players is their flat and uninspiring tone. Mike Stern, Scofield, Coryell and others. Frisell on the other hand gets it, even his insane distorted tones in earlier albums.

User Info Menu

I don’t evaluate tone as good or bad. I evaluate it as distinctive and personal or generic.

Obviously I have personal feelings one way or the other, but you can’t take away from Stern and Sco that you know it’s them after one note.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deke
    I'm sorry, but what sticks out to me with so many 1970s and 1980s jazz players is their flat and uninspiring tone. Mike Stern, Scofield, Coryell and others. Frisell on the other hand gets it, even his insane distorted tones in earlier albums.
    Oh, the "chorus effect" era. I totally agree. I hate that too. It became even worse with a distortion. The only exception is Sco though. I love his playing in Miles' group even though I hate that group's music and his tone at the time. Too many guys ruined their music with their shitty chorus tones. Frisell didn't use it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deke
    We agree on Kenny Burrell... we also agree on Bill Frisell.

What makes me answer is you were mentioning Mike Stern and Coryell with Scofield... I think Scofield created something what is now the part of the jazz culture. I do not think Mike Stern and Coryell fall in the same league, they have literally no sound, and what is more important most of the time no music comes out (sorry) :-)

Of course one can like or dislike Scofield's music. Just for the record I am not a Scofield fan, but really appreciate his works.

Back to the topic the sound itself: "flat and uninspiring"? please listen, what a great sound, not talking about the music....