The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 234

User Info Menu

When I want to hear jazz guitar, I think Wes, Kenny, Grant. To me those are the definitive tones. Grant gets me most, he's got a thick funk to his sound.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I like jeff becks different sounds he use's

User Info Menu

If we're talking traditional jazz tone then definitely Grant Green a la Idle Moments and Matador era.

Last edited by rmpmcdermott; 04-06-2019 at 10:42 PM.

User Info Menu

Billy Bean, Hank Garland, and George Barnes.

User Info Menu

How could I forget George Barnes. Wonderful sound. While we’re at it, TK Smith.

User Info Menu

For me, nothing beats Jesse Van Ruller's tone on Live at Murphy's Law.

In a delightful recent surprise, Jakob Bro's tone (and playing) are knocking me out on All of Me (he comes in around 1:20):

User Info Menu

Tal Farlow and Jimmy Raney. Both had tone I really liked, and I can't decide between the two. Hank Garland was close, but not quite at the top for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Tal Farlow and Jimmy Raney. Both had tone I really liked, and I can't decide between the two. Hank Garland was close, but not quite at the top for me.
    I agree, and what I find interesting is that Farlow's tone was at its best on his 50s Verve recordings, while Raney's was at its best on those 80s Criss Cross recordings. (many of Jimmy's 50's recording were not that well recorded IMO).
    Last edited by jameslovestal; 02-26-2019 at 02:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Me.
    Kenny Burrell and Jonathan Kreisberg get close.
    Szymon Mika has a fully sick tone.

User Info Menu

Grant Green.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    You know, though, poor piano players...there's much less they can do to affect the overall tone of their instrument.

Hell, most of 'em can't even tune their own instrument!
    Why, wasn't it tuned at the factory??

User Info Menu

In the jazz world, I would say Kenny Burrell and Jim Hall are my favorites--Kenny during his Midnight Blue years and Jim with his duets with Bill Evans and Red Mitchell especially. Of course I like a processed sound like Scofield and Metheny on occasion as well.

In rock, Santana is a god. His tone on Moonflower--Yamaha SG2000 played through a Mesa Boogie--is the epitome of rock tone in my book.

A couple of other candidates for great tone would be Mark Knopfler, Richard Thompson and Dave Hidalgo (Los Lobos). And Eric Clapton at certain points of his career--Blind Faith and early solo work. And Jeff Beck's 70's solo stuff. And of course Jimi Hendrix.

Let's not forget about acoustic tone. Some of the great flatpickers like Doc Watson, Norman Blake, Dan Tymanski and Tony Rice have great tone.

User Info Menu

Allan Holdsworth
    Scott Henderson
    Allen Hinds
    Mike Landau
    Jeff Beck
    Mike Miller
    Wayne Krantz
    Eric Johnson

For clean sounds: Mike Stern, Pat Metheny, Pat Martino as well as Al Di Meola, Ralph Towner and John McLaughlin on acoustic (I also like Metheny on nylon string).

For older straight ahead players, Jimmy Raney and Joe Diorio had a sparkle missing for me in jazz guitar more typically.

User Info Menu

Older Kenny Burrell...damn...just a little hair, bright and articulate, but never shrill or brittle. My gold standard. That's what I go for when I plug in.
    How do you get the hair? Pedal?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Yeah, I use a Tech 21 blonde if I want that sound through a solid state amp...I set it just so that thae hardest notes I hit have that "edge."

Interestingly enough, if you've heard it in any videos I've posted here, that's a Roland Microcube. The "british combo" setting (guess it's a Vox) is perfect for getting that tone...just set the gain low enough so that only the hardest notes hit break up.

It's a surprisingly touch sensitive amp.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Yeah, I use a Tech 21 blonde if I want that sound through a solid state amp...I set it just so that thae hardest notes I hit have that "edge."

Interestingly enough, if you've heard it in any videos I've posted here, that's a Roland Microcube. The "british combo" setting (guess it's a Vox) is perfect for getting that tone...just set the gain low enough so that only the hardest notes hit break up.

It's a surprisingly touch sensitive amp.
    Yes, I've seen some of your videos. You sound good.
    That's exactly how I set up my amps and pedals as well. Right at the edge of breakup. Softer/normal touches are clean to mostly clean. When I dig in or do double stops (a la Burrell), I get the breakup.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 02-27-2019 at 02:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Well I knew this thread would have legs, everybody has an opinion.
    Great input all the way around!!

Well it seems we have clear winners in both categories:

Jazz tone king- Kenny B!!!

For everything else- Señor Carlos!!!

.... I think my tone goal would be halfway between the two ................... yea I know, good luck with that one. LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez
    Me.
    Kenny Burrell and Jonathan Kreisberg get close.
    Szymon Mika has a fully sick tone.
    Szymon Mika is fantastic and has a wonderfully complex but clear tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Conditioner and a blow dry

User Info Menu

Sorry for the repeat... but Kenny Burrell's name can not be repeated enough times in this thread.

after him immediately...

- Jesse van Ruller (must listen)
    - Peter Bernstein
    - Jonathan Kreisberg (master of ballads)
    - I think Wes can not left out this list.

User Info Menu

JVR and MVI-- the European connection of killer tone (and playing)

User Info Menu

JVR and MVI-- the European connection of killer tone (and playing)
    Bernstein's been in the Netherlands this week. Did some dates with JVR earlier in the week. He's playing with MVI on Sunday. If I wasn't working, I would be looking to get a cheap flight to The Hague to catch them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Conditioner and a blow dry
    What jazz guitar player has the best tone to you?-patmetheny_1570293a-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Bernstein's been in the Netherlands this week. Did some dates with JVR earlier in the week. He's playing with MVI on Sunday. If I wasn't working, I would be looking to get a cheap flight to The Hague to catch them!
    Man...that'd be amazing.

Those guys, and add Bobby Broom...one foot in the past, but always looking forward.