The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

I am in-love with this album. It's more compositional in nature and Lage has used some unique sounds to convey more atmosphere rather than just jamming.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

It's really outstanding, I agree. His best work...and that's saying something!

User Info Menu

So, in American English, dropped means become available...I'll try to remember.

I thought you meant the record company had dropped it, stopped it from being released.

Great player. So many great players around these days.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop

I thought you meant the record company had dropped it, stopped it from being released.

for new products-- "the bathroom dropped" would sound funny

User Info Menu

Yes, Sorry.... I've been youthinized. lol

What does everyone think about his use of effects on this album?

I hear a little Mary Halvorson, Bill Frisell, and Kurt Rosenwinkel, but not in a copy-cat kind of way. Lage really has his own tone going on here. I'm completely loving it.

User Info Menu

Beautiful, very creative and intricate compositions with refreshing and unusual harmonies.

The cohesion and power of the backing trio is absolutely remarkable.

And what can I say about Lund guitar playing? Even the effects are smart used.

Already one of the best albuns of the year, for me. I can’t stop listening.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cordalis
    Beautiful, very creative and intricate compositions with refreshing and unusual harmonies.

The cohesion and power of the backing trio is absolutely remarkable.

And what can I say about Lund guitar playing? Even the effects are smart used.

Already one of the best albums of the year, for me. I can’t stop listening.
    I agree on so many levels!

User Info Menu

Very nice compositions and playing. Is it just my stereo (or my cold) or is this record all mixed in a really narrow frequency range? I can barely hear it over my dishwasher.

I should come back with an honest assessment when I'm feeling better/less congested. The only jazz guitarists my ear is able to pick out of a mix right now are Frisell and Grant Green.

User Info Menu

dropped

(v.) to use the drug, LSD (otherwise known as acid).
    George dropped acid today.
    dropped
    dropped - to kill someone
    Back up before u get dropped.

dropped
    Of a recording artist, to have been released from their record company contract.

Typically used in connection with major label artists popular two years ago after an colossally expensive marketing campaign, but who are now objects of derision.

Most amusing when the artist was signed for tens of millions of dollars a few months previously, went mad and has sold four records since. See also Mariah Carey.

"Good Charlotte? Dropped within the year, I bet you."

dropped
    Just came out, debut, just released.
    Man, that new NaS CD this dropped!

dropped
    In Liverpool this is wen you punch someone and they go down
    did u see the wack on him. He dropped him off one punch.

dropped
    became good. comes from how guys become much better when their balls drop.
    Bill: Luke can finally punt the ball
    Fred: Yeah his punts finally dropped

User Info Menu

It all depends on the context.
    Lage Lund's new album dropped.-2129907138230550869-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    It's really outstanding, I agree. His best work...and that's saying something!
    Completely agree with every one of these sentiments. It’s a deeply captivating album for me.

User Info Menu

this is awesome. Cool title and artwork too. it's on spotify also.

User Info Menu

does the drummer sound super laid back to you guys? I like it, but i was just wondering if i was starting to hear music right haha

User Info Menu

I really like his effects usage on this record. Having never thought of him as an "effects" player, I was pleasantly surprised here. The great thing about them is that they never really overtake his pure tone, and feel like they are "further away" / back in the mix and not on top of his notes.

That aside, the actual compositions are beautiful, and the melodies on this record feel more focused than some of his previous stuff. When "Hard Eights" kicks into the back-beat swing with a great catchy melody, it kills me (in a good way). A lot of modern jazz that I've heard seems to be afraid of singable melody, and strays more into "it's gotta be vague and complicated" territory, so I really appreciate this.

User Info Menu

new album dropped = new album released

User Info Menu

Super rare to hear Tyshawn Sorey play this kind of music as a sideman. This is my favorite album of 2019 so far!

User Info Menu

Agreed, this is a remarkable recording for Lage, and a huge leap forward in terms of its compositional aspects. I wonder how much Tyshawn Sorey contributed to that aspect of the recording; he's a remarkable musician -- plays trombone and piano as well as percussion -- and has a doctorate in composition from Columbia University. Maybe there's some mention in liner notes (assuming there are liner notes to the CD version?); I bought the digital download via Amazon, something I usually avoid because of the lack of liner notes, but I couldn't wait to get my hands (actually, my ears) on this one, and it appeared there'd be some delay in getting the CD version. Anyone have the CD that can confirm or deny?

User Info Menu

I don’t know. I know Lage mentioned that he recently got Logic Pro X, which got him writing more.
    Also he’s recently done shows focusing more on composition with some vocalist.
    I think he’s allowing his love for classical music to come through more.