The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 100
    A few of my favorites from Mr. Menconi:

Hope you enjoy them too!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have been listening to this guy for the past month never previously heard of him. Wow what a player he just gets around so smooth and easy. I like his take on Nobody Else But a real workout and melodic.

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I have been listening to this guy for the past month never previously heard of him. Wow what a player he just gets around so smooth and easy. I like his take on Nobody Else But a real workout and melodic.
    He really does and great tone too!

Have you listened to any of his "Trio Bobo" stuff?

Thanks for the post and

User Info Menu

Check out his rendition of "April in Paris" while demo-ing a Gibson LeGrand. I came upon it when researching the instrument and he makes it sing! (Scroll to the bottom of the listing for the video.)

Albert

Gibson Legrand '95 Master Model | Davide's Gear | Reverb

User Info Menu

tasty! just the right mix of blaze and restraint and I love the comping. If I could get half this good I'd be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by AKA
    Check out his rendition of "April in Paris" while demo-ing a Gibson LeGrand. I came upon it when researching the instrument and he makes it sing! (Scroll to the bottom of the listing for the video.)

Albert

Thanks Albert! I actually saw that as well on Reverb while perusing the archtops. Very, very tasteful playing.

On a side note, that LeGrand is molto bella!

Thanks for the post and

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kaye
    tasty! just the right mix of blaze and restraint and I love the comping. If I could get half this good I'd be happy.
    Well typed Michael! I love his comping as well.

You're not alone either, if I could only be half that good I'd be thrilled!

Thanks for the post and

A few more nice ones:

This one jumps!

Trio Bobo:

User Info Menu

Good Lord - that guy plays some soulful, spontaneous, and beautiful jazz guitar!

And I've never heard of him before until now.

Thank you for introducing me to Alessio Menconi - I'll remember his name for sure!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blues
    Well typed Michael! I love his comping as well.

You're not alone either, if I could only be half that good I'd be thrilled!

Thanks for the post and
    thanks for bringing him to my attention! I'll definitely be taking a closer look at Stolen Moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Herron
    Good Lord - that guy plays some soulful, spontaneous, and beautiful jazz guitar!

And I've never heard of him before until now.

Thank you for introducing me to Alessio Menconi - I'll remember his name for sure!

Regards,
    Steven Herron
    Jazz Guitar Tabs - Solos, Tabs Books, Instruction DVDs + Video Lessons
    You’re welcome Steven. I stumbled upon him myself a while ago when checking stuff out on YouTube. Pretty impressive IMHO.

Thanks for the post and
    Last edited by Midnight Blues; 01-31-2019 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kaye
    thanks for bringing him to my attention! I'll definitely be taking a closer look at Stolen Moments.
    You’re welcome Michael. My favorite arrangement of “Stolen Moments”, at least as far a guitar is concerned, is Lee Ritneour’s. Alessio’s is a close second.

Thanks for the post and
    Last edited by Midnight Blues; 01-31-2019 at 10:44 PM.

User Info Menu

I really like Menconi. Here he is live with over an hour of great playing in a trio:

Quote Originally Posted by maggles55
    I really like Menconi. Here he is live with over an hour of great playing in a trio:
    Thanks for that maggies55! That's one I haven't seen before?

Man, I love his phrasing and his picking technique is so economical! The other thing; every time I see a video I haven't seen before, he has a different guitar! I think Gibson owes him an "Artist Model"!

Thanks for the post and

One of my all-time favorite tunes:

How pretty is this?:

User Info Menu

I have done nothing but listen to this fellow now the past week and he is becoming my favorite player. He has full command of the guitar he just makes it all look really cool in a way. He plays great chord melody and smokes through bop tunes with ease. It seems much of his stuff is available to listen to so that is great. Oh he plays cool guitars to boot.

I have done nothing but listen to this fellow now the past week and he is becoming my favorite player. He has full command of the guitar he just makes it all look really cool in a way. He plays great chord melody and smokes through bop tunes with ease. It seems much of his stuff is available to listen to so that is great. Oh he plays cool guitars to boot.
    I’ve been doing the same myself Mark. I can’t seem to get enough? He’s got a few releases on iTunes as well. One in particular, “Standard Trio” is great!

On a side note, he’s not a bad instructor either.

Thanks for the post and

User Info Menu

I particularly like his playing on Nobody Else But Me. In fact the tune got me to even find him. I was playing the tune to memorize it and it not many do the tune but it is nice. So I go back to the classic Joe Pass recording on Simplcity. Then I google and find the guy and he just sounds like a combination of Wes and Pat Martino without going the George Benson route. Nothing wrong with Benson at all but I find Menconi's lines move different and he has developed his own sound. Plus being an archtop player myself exclusively I like is L5's and JS. He even plays a handmade guitar I have not seen. I am guessing if you are a builder you want him playing your guitar.

Reads similar to how I found him too Mark. Lee Ritenour’s rendition of “Stolen Moments” is one of my all-time favorites. I was looking for a backing track on YouTube and I can across Alessio’s version and I was hooked!

I completely agree with you that he sounds like a combination of Wes and Pat. In addition I’d also throw-in some Kenny Burrell as well.

I’d love to see him do a video of his guitars and amps!

Thanks for the post and Alessio Menconi-cheers-gif

P.S.

On an unrelated subject, I see by your salutation that you specialize in repairs and setups. Would you mind if I PM you in relation to the latter? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AKA

Albert

Geez Albert, I apologize, I thought I had posted this already?:

I must've posted it elsewhere? What a beautiful rendition and what a beautiful LeGrand!

Thanks for the recommendation and

Alessio plays a little Wes: