Posts 76 to 100 of 100

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blues
    I absolutely love a good ballad!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

How pretty is this?:

Man, that’s beautiful MB! I can’t get enough of this cat. What a player he is!

joelf Guest
    Very cool guys!

I've never had the pleasure of meeting him, but we do correspond via e-mail and I agree, very nice man.

He came to my gig at Walker's Restaurant and immediately hugged me. Of course he sat in (with Sean Smith, bass). After the gig we sat facing each other and played an acoustic set of Django tunes. I made sure to bring him to Gene Bertoncini's steady and he played with Gene. He had fun in NY...

User Info Menu

Great sound he gets. Woody, percussive, rich, warm but still detailed and not muffled. Awesome.

User Info Menu

Great player, I saw him last year here in the UK with Nigel Price. I spoke briefly with him after the gig and bought his excellent Ellington-Strayhorn CD.

Alessio Menconi-115ac8c8-11ef-4d03-a9cf-7a63fc081ad1-jpegAlessio Menconi-b86db543-ac42-4477-94e4-69bb1ed0260c-jpegAlessio Menconi-1300ff2a-95cf-4370-8c57-dd279ffec9c7-jpegAlessio Menconi-cbb3416b-0664-49fc-8a28-ae59e3b9933d-jpeg

User Info Menu

Has anybody tried Alessio's lessons on his guitar institute? Online School - Alessio Menconi Guitar Institute

While pricey, it seems like they're well thought out with a thorough lesson plan,, and perhaps cheap for the relative value (getting the same topics covered in live instruction would cost more across several lessons).

Would love to hear the perspective of some that have tried the materials

User Info Menu

Absolutely, one of my favorites too. Lovely player.

User Info Menu

I like his playing but I do not like it when people do not respect the character of a Mingus (same with Monk) composition.

Goodbye Pork Pie is a sad elegy for Lester Young and therefore very sostenuto and has a rather straight rhythm. Better save the funky double time stuff for its blowing changes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    I like his playing but I do not like it when people do not respect the character of a Mingus (same with Monk) composition.

Goodbye Pork Pie is a sad elegy for Lester Young and therefore very sostenuto and has a rather straight rhythm. Better save the funky double time stuff for its blowing changes.
    Uh, it's jazz. (while I'm very much a traditionalist I don't find doing-ones-own-thing being disrespectful in any regard).
    Last edited by jameslovestal; 12-31-2023 at 12:06 PM.

User Info Menu

Do you realise there are no transcriptions of his playing on YouTube? Almost everybody else but not him. Shame. Also odd.

Try this on for size! :

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Do you realise there are no transcriptions of his playing on YouTube? Almost everybody else but not him. Shame. Also odd.
    Probably doesn't have the time, but yeah, I wish he'd post some, it'd be pretty cool.

Other than Guitar Forums, I'm not a "Social Media" guy, so there's a chance that he might do that elsewhere?

Thanks for the post and

Quote Originally Posted by JazzMuzak
    Has anybody tried Alessio's lessons on his guitar institute? Online School - Alessio Menconi Guitar Institute

While pricey, it seems like they're well thought out with a thorough lesson plan,, and perhaps cheap for the relative value (getting the same topics covered in live instruction would cost more across several lessons).

Would love to hear the perspective of some that have tried the materials
    I have not, but I have purchased a couple of his instructions books like "50 Bebop Licks), which is really good and some one-offs like; "Autumn Leaves", "Blue in Green", "Body and Soul" etc.. All are worth is and personally, I think he's and excellent instructor.

Thanks for the post and

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Great player, I saw him last year here in the UK with Nigel Price. I spoke briefly with him after the gig and bought his excellent Ellington-Strayhorn CD.

Alessio Menconi-115ac8c8-11ef-4d03-a9cf-7a63fc081ad1-jpegAlessio Menconi-b86db543-ac42-4477-94e4-69bb1ed0260c-jpegAlessio Menconi-1300ff2a-95cf-4370-8c57-dd279ffec9c7-jpegAlessio Menconi-cbb3416b-0664-49fc-8a28-ae59e3b9933d-jpeg
    Great album!

Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to see him live. My wife and I are going to Italy in April, so maybe we'll be able to catch one of his shows while were there?

Thanks for the post and

User Info Menu

Probably doesn't have the time, but yeah, I wish he'd post some, it'd be pretty cool.

Other than Guitar Forums, I'm not a "Social Media" guy, so there's a chance that he might do that elsewhere?

Thanks for the post and
    He’s got some transcriptions for sale here:

Alessio Menconi “Guitar Solos” PDF + Audio - Alessio Menconi Guitar Institute

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head

I read ya and I can respect what you're typing.

He has his take on it, which I like and undoubtedly there is no disrespect meant on his part. Hey, even Jeff Beck had his own interpretation, which I personally enjoy as well.

Thanks for the post and

Thanks grahambob!

I'd like to get his analysis of Wes' and Kenny Burrell's style. Those two for me are 1 and 1A.

Thanks for the post and

User Info Menu

Really like the Ellington-Strayhorn CD :

made me think of a younger Jimmy Bruno:

or Ron Affif :

Glad to see some Alessio LOVE.

Thx for posting...............

Sol

Quote Originally Posted by SOLR
    Really like the Ellington-Strayhorn CD :

made me think of a younger Jimmy Bruno:

or Ron Affif :

Glad to see some Alessio LOVE.

Thx for posting...............

Sol
    I agree Sol, very much so, particularly JB.

Thanks for the post and

User Info Menu

By the way there are some videos on youtube from Alessio’s UK tour with Nigel Price (which is when I saw him, though not at this gig).

There’s also a recording available of this gig, from the usual places (i.e. bandcamp/amazon/itunes).

By the way there are some videos on youtube from Alessio’s UK tour with Nigel Price (which is when I saw him, though not at this gig).

There’s also a recording available of this gig, from the usual places (i.e. bandcamp/amazon/itunes).

I have it, bought it on iTunes. It's a great album! There really good together.

I've asked Alessio is he plans on releasing the recordings he did on his "Wes 100" tour, but he hasn't said yet if he plans on doing so. I for one am hoping he does.

Thanks for the post Graham and

Typing of which: