The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 100

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks Midnight Blues for creating this thread; I have never heard of Menconi and wow, what a player. I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said about his playing, so I'll just say that most of the songs posted here are some of my favorite standards.

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    Thanks Midnight Blues for creating this thread; I have never heard of Menconi and wow, what a player. I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said about his playing, so I'll just say that most of the songs posted here are some of my favorite standards.

My pleasure James.

I was lucky to find him myself. Just happened to be looking for some videos on “Stolen Moments” a while back and I came across Alessio’s rendition. I was hooked right then and there! He’s an “Old School” player, which I really like, with a touch modernism. He’s quickly become my favorite “New” player!

Thanks for the post and

Although I can understand a bit of what he’s saying, regrettably, I can’t speak Italian, but IMHO, this is worth watching nonetheless:

User Info Menu

As others have stated, thanks to Midnight Blues for introducing us to Alessio Menconi. I've been thoroughly enjoying his music!!
    Absolutely masterful player!

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    As others have stated, thanks to Midnight Blues for introducing us to Alessio Menconi. I've been thoroughly enjoying his music!!
    Absolutely masterful player!
    You're quite welcome Gitfiddler! I'm happy to read that so many others are enjoying his playing as much as I am as well!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blues
    Although I can understand a bit of what he’s saying, regrettably, I can’t speak Italian, but IMHO, this is worth watching nonetheless:

My wife is Italian, so I'm going to have her translate this for me. Oh, wait, I didn't get her anything for Valentines Day,,,,,, Yea, I better wait a few weeks before asking!

PS: Someone posted saying something like 'this is why there are so many solid Italian-American jazz guitarist'; If that is true, I wonder if anyone knows why that is; I go to Italy about every year, and I do run into some of her friends that own a guitar. All they ever want me to do is play delta-blues type music and if they know of a jazz guitarist it is Pat Metheny.

User Info Menu

I don't know.......I think ......... I'm in love.

I cant get enough of this guy

My wife is Italian, so I'm going to have her translate this for me. Oh, wait, I didn't get her anything for Valentines Day,,,,,, Yea, I better wait a few weeks before asking!

PS: Someone posted saying something like 'this is why there are so many solid Italian-American jazz guitarist'; If that is true, I wonder if anyone knows why that is; I go to Italy about every year, and I do run into some of her friends that own a guitar. All they ever want me to do is play delta-blues type music and if they know of a jazz guitarist it is Pat Metheny.
    Don't feel bad James, I'm full-blooded Italian-American and I'd have to have someone translate it for me as well! It's a shame really, but when my grand parents came here from Italy, they wanted to learn the English language to help them assimilate and as a consequence, really didn't teach their children their language. They wanted to converse with them in English. My parents picked-up some of the Italian language, but not much. Even though they understood a lot of it, they didn't pass it down either.

One of these days I may try to learn it.

That is interesting how many Italian-American jazz guitarist there are. Maybe it had to do with the point in time of their ancestors immigration to the U.S.? Needless to type, there are a lot of guitar players in Italy, which BTW, just watching the videos of Alessio, I've seen a several other Italian jazz guitarists that are not too shabby either.

Thanks for the post and

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kaye
    I don't know.......I think ......... I'm in love.

I cant get enough of this guy

Don't blame you Michael, I can't either! Been listening to him all day!

Maybe instead of "The End of a Love Affair", we can write tune and entitle it: "The Beginning of a Bromance"?

Thanks for the post and

User Info Menu

There aren't that many jazz musicians in Africa either. Or in any other country for that matter Seems like most contemporary European guitarists I know of are French/Dutch. Possibly the gypsy culture keeping things alive down there. Or it could just be what've coincidentally reached my attention

Quote Originally Posted by Runepune
    There aren't that many jazz musicians in Africa either. Or in any other country for that matter Seems like most contemporary European guitarists I know of are French/Dutch. Possibly the gypsy culture keeping things alive down there. Or it could just be what've coincidentally reached my attention
    You're right about the French/Dutch and I'd throw-in Japan as well, so I think there could be something to the cultural aspect.

Thanks for the post Runepune and