Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pat Martino

Pat Martino

Just heard that the Pat Martino show at Yale next Friday is cancelled due to performer illness. I hope he is ok.
    Yale School of Music | The Pat Martino Quintet (CANCELED)

Wow, sorry to hear this. According to his website his most recent concert was November 24th, and the three on this year's calendar are all canceled. Clearly it's Pat who is ill, because he'd have time to find a sub if it was another band member.

When we talk about Martino's health etc., we often focus on his brain situation. However, he was a heavy smoker and has had significant COPD for years, recurrent pneumonia, etc. Best wishes to him for his health!
    Beauty is as close to terror as we can well endure. -Rainer Maria Rilke

Pat was supposed to play in Baltimore, MD on Sunday 1/27. He is ill and was replaced this week by Paul Bollenback. Pat Bianchi will still be on organ.

An update. Got a call from Blues Alley today that his gig on June 1 has been cancelled and they don't know if and when it will be rescheduled.

Thankful that I've gotten to see him a lot, especially back when I lived in Philly. Really hope he's OK. What a legend. What a giant of jazz.
    On the Turntable: George Benson (CTI Years), Pat Martino, Weather Report
    Guitar:
    Aria Pro II PE-175 Herb Ellis
    Through: DV Mark Micro 50

Doesn't sound good to me folks.

In fact the more I hear the worse it sounds.

Pat Martino is one of the very few of whom I consider to be the original mainstream jazz guitarists left - Kessel, Farlow, Ellis, Smith, Pass, Montgomery, Roberts, Wayne etc.

I certainly wish Pat well.

Regards,
    Steven Herron
    Pat Martino Tabs - Guitar Solos, Tab Books, Instruction DVDs + Video Lessons

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Herron View Post
    Doesn't sound good to me folks.

In fact the more I hear the worse it sounds.

Pat Martino is one of the very few of whom I consider to be the original mainstream jazz guitarists left - Kessel, Farlow, Ellis, Smith, Pass, Montgomery, Roberts, Wayne etc.

I certainly wish Pat well.

Regards,
    Steven Herron
    Pat Martino Tabs - Guitar Solos, Tab Books, Instruction DVDs + Video Lessons
    Same here. And not to seem selfish, since his death would be far more upsetting to the friends and family who love him, but it would also be absolutely devastating to the jazz community.
    Guitar:

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Herron View Post
    As far as I can tell, the remaining Friends Of Wes Montgomery list is short indeed: Pat Martino, Kenny Burrell, Ron Carter and James Cobb.

Deep peace and smooth groove to Pat Martino and his family at this time.
    "Don't worry about that. Everybody talks about finding your voice. Do your homework and your voice will find you." - Branford Marsalis

Let's not be too hasty here chaps.

To quote Mark Twain, "the reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated"

I think that my love for the man and his music are as strong as anyone here but I prefer to not leap to
    conclusions. Let life take its course.

Pat's had a hard road and has shown an amazing tenacity ....let's all send him our love and best wishes and not speculate
    about the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonray View Post
    Let's not be too hasty here chaps.

To quote Mark Twain, "the reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated"

I think that my love for the man and his music are as strong as anyone here but I prefer to not leap to
    conclusions. Let life take its course.

Pat's had a hard road and has shown an amazing tenacity ....let's all send him our love and best wishes and not speculate
    about the situation.
    Agreed 100%. That certainly wasn't my intention.
    Guitar:

He cancelled the date in Japan due to his illness last year but it was rescheduled and completed. Hope he'll be good soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry View Post
    As far as I can tell, the remaining Friends Of Wes Montgomery list is short indeed: Pat Martino, Kenny Burrell, Ron Carter and James Cobb.
    George Benson is certainly on that list, too.

He is such a pure musician. He was just born to do it. Love his playing so much!

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed