The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Jamaican jazz and studio guitarist. Here he is on a burning cut with one of my favorite pianists, Monty Alexander.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Me!!!! My favorite!

User Info Menu

The album that made me want to play an archtop strung with phat flatwounds. Thank you, Mr Ranglin!

User Info Menu

I have two of Ranglin solo albums, the Monty Alexander in the initial post and a Charlie Hunter album he played on. While I enjoy the overall sound and his playing I don't listen to these albums very often.

But I have found his solo albums to be great dinner party music (since I prefer to pay instrumental music at such events). My friends (well mostly my wife's friends!), know that I'm really into jazz but straight ahead jazz is often too much for people not familiar with that type of music.

His solo albums have that reggae feel and easy on the ears melodies and that works well for all. (as does Charlie Hunter since he often plays rock covers like Fly Like an Eagle, which also go over well with non jazz listeners).

User Info Menu

I have Below The Bassline, Order Of Distinction, and Memories Of Barber Mack. But I havent heard any album or song that I didnt like with him. For me that precisely kind of jazz I prefer- lively, groovy, rich with catchy rhythms and melodies, and easier on harmonic content.

Plus I spent years playing in ska bands, so that's a perfect mix.

User Info Menu

Like him a whole bunch. Barber Mack and Below the Bass line are probably my favorites of his.

User Info Menu

He's my favorite too. I have 'Guitar in Ernest' on the turntable right now, but they're all great.

User Info Menu

He's great. I have Boss Reggae and Below the Bassline.

User Info Menu

Love Ranglin's playing! He's like Howard Roberts in that they both could play super speedy phrases that went out of time but miraculously landed like a cat in perfect time at the end.

"Memories of Barber Mack" is probably my favorite but he's recorded so many great records in his long career. His duet LP with Monty Alexander comes to mind but I've never heard anything by Ranglin I didn't dig. He uses double stop thirds in his jazz and ska work really tastefully. Outside of Barney Kessell, not that many guitarists seem to do so as a regular feature of their style.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I saw him in the mid 70s backing up Toots and the Maytals. Two guitarists. Ranglin and Rad Bryan. Bryan played a Strat, chopping out the bar chords, and Ranglin played different voicings on a Gibson. Maybe an LP.
    Not exactly jazz chords (extensions even 7ths don't usually work that great in Reggae) but different than the usual grips for triads. I like Ranglin a lot even if I'd like a little more grit. That's just my opinion though and isn't a deal breaker. His stuff with Monty Alexander was nice. Alexander as everyone knows was married to Emily Remler for a few minutes.

User Info Menu

Neat stuff. Great since I am going to Jamaica next week.

Hopefully we will be playing some traditional Jamaican mento music with some local musicians.

User Info Menu

A teacher at a school I taught at knew him in Jamaica, and was a friend of his. I was surprised when he told me ER was closely involved with Bob Marley, and played in Jamaica with him.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    A teacher at a school I taught at knew him in Jamaica, and was a friend of his. I was surprised when he told me ER was closely involved with Bob Marley, and played in Jamaica with him.

I've got a feeling he was the 'house guitarist' for sir coxsone dodd in the late 50's / early 60's...that would explain the wailers connection..small island - I saw Toots in he late 70's too but have no idea who was on guitar...I probably hadn't heard of Ranglin at the time..

User Info Menu

I have Gotcha and Below the Bassline. I enjoyed both, though it's been a while since I gave them a spin.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dot75
    I've got a feeling he was the 'house guitarist' for sir coxsone dodd in the late 50's / early 60's...that would explain the wailers connection..small island - I saw Toots in he late 70's too but have no idea who was on guitar...I probably hadn't heard of Ranglin at the time..
    I think he played with just about everybody. Not only is Jamaica a small island but Kingston today isn't much more than half a million people. Back in the day it was smaller yet so the whole music scene was a big handfull of people many of who were living in the same neighborhood. Until Marley broke it was small time store front action.

User Info Menu

I have Rocksteady which is a Monty Alexander cd with Ernest which they cover ska and reggae tunes. It is totally fun music that everyone in my house (2 teenage boys, one is hiphop fan and one is more a hard rock/metal fan) enjoys. Both Monty and Ernest are wonderful.
    Rocksteady - Monty Alexander | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic

User Info Menu