The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 142 of 142

User Info Menu

Thought that overdrive was great!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

An Evening with Joe Pass - 1 hour and 26 minutes on youtube. Check it out, most of us will get ideas for practice, or just sit back and listen!

User Info Menu

Joe Pass After 25 Years-joe-333-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Namelyguitar
    An Evening with Joe Pass - 1 hour and 26 minutes on youtube. Check it out, most of us will get ideas for practice, or just sit back and listen!
    Is that the one where you see him arrive for the gig and rehearse with the band? The one where Don Mock interviews him about his musical background? That's a treasure trove!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Then there is this wonderful exchange:

It's nice.. but this Chaconne thig has nothing to do neither with classical guitar nor with classical music (except that Williams holds a classical guitar). JW plays a few basic chords (which could be anything anywhere), Joe plays lines quite in his style over these simple chords.

User Info Menu

i tried the BB JOE soloing this morning on Tangerine... very Passian ..i know some you folk would like to kill me for harking on about BB...does it endorse joes soloing....nothing ever will but it has its moments..one the best threads ive ever read ..thanks all

User Info Menu

Yeah this thread has put me on a Joe kick, I have a couple of the Virtuosos but I felt like getting another solo set with a better guitar sound, so just purchased ‘Meditation’ which sounds good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    It's nice.. but this Chaconne thig has nothing to do neither with classical guitar nor with classical music (except that Williams holds a classical guitar). JW plays a few basic chords (which could be anything anywhere), Joe plays lines quite in his style over these simple chords.
    Yes, and Jascha Haifetz playing the violin is just the application of the outside of a horse to the inside of a cat.

User Info Menu

Joe Pass is a jazz guitar master.

User Info Menu

I recall one of Joe's instructional videos where he said something like that it's not about playing "hard things" or "fast things" to impress other players; it's about making music. That was a profound statement that stuck with me. As far as speed, one of the salient aspects of JP's style, at least to my ear, is how well he could use slurs via hammer and pull offs to tie lines together. I prefer that to the every-note-is-picked articulation of other players (McLaughlin comes to mind).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV
    I recall one of Joe's instructional videos where he said something like that it's not about playing "hard things" or "fast things" to impress other players; it's about making music.
    I've been shouting that for years.

Of course, the difference is that Joe could play embarrassingly fast and I can't :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I've been shouting that for years.

Of course, the difference is that Joe could play embarrassingly fast and I can't :-)
    and people who play embarrassingly are half way there!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Is that the one where you see him arrive for the gig and rehearse with the band? The one where Don Mock interviews him about his musical background? That's a treasure trove!
    That's the one!

User Info Menu

So it turns out, Antoine is playing at my college in February. I believe it is a Gypsy Jazz set. If anybody lives in the Sacramento/Folsom area, and you want to go, let me know (I get a student discount).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eh6794-2.0
    I'd suggest you try to re-read what I wrote. The fact that you brought up the gypsy stuff again, tells me you are confused.

eh6794 you certainly dont have ears or respect, and are definitely not up to speed regarding music language and taste, perhaps you are baiting us, and will next be on Wes's cases for using his thumb ,

possibly when you are older things may start dropping into place,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Durban
    eh6794 you certainly dont have ears or respect, and are definitely not up to speed regarding music language and taste, perhaps you are baiting us, and will next be on Wes's cases for using his thumb ,

possibly when you are older things may start dropping into place,
    Ya I baited you. For sure!

User Info Menu

JP was truly a master.

When I listen to his playing, I find it a bit too busy for my ear (same thing with Oscar Peterson versus a more melodic Bill Evans).

Still, I would have given my eye teeth just to carry JP's guitar case.