The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 142

User Info Menu

But he's not a bad classical player for his age. That would be fair.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I had never heard of Antoine, so thanks for that. Very inspiring young player.

I don't recall a player with both classical (real classical) right hand AND competent Gypsy jazz playing, legit in both styles/disciplines.

I was thinking that he was not nearly as harmonically sophisticated as Joe after listening to his Gypsy video, then saw his more contemporary arrangements. Wow, much different story. It sounds like he's been listening to Frisell, among others. Lots of ambient aesthetics combined with contrapuntal expressiveness.

But - I don't think that a comparison to Joe Pass really makes much sense. He's not going for the same thing at all, and if he would he would have a long way to go, but could probably get there.

Given the market demand and tastes in 2019, his more contemporary leanings would seem to be a wiser choice indeed.

User Info Menu

This is the real deal. I like the big tyre myself :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt

Given the market demand and tastes in 2019, his more contemporary leanings would seem to be a wiser choice indeed.
    I'm with you there. Absolutely.

This isn't bad (but he's still very much a classical player).

User Info Menu

Compare and contrast...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    "but what really matters is a 'feel'. In that sense Joe Pass maybe a bit, well, passe"

Huh?
    What Andy V said, "Pass had a certain stiffness in his time feel". That's what I was thinking. Mainly swing/time feel. I mean, after the new crop of players arrived, like Sco, Abercrombie, Frisell, they set new standards for jazz guitar, and especially swing/time feel, which was hipper and better suited for playing in ensembles IMO.

Besides that, I'm gonna say very sacrilegious thing here, but ES175WithHumbuckersAndFlatwoundStringsIntoPolytone is the most outdated and (to me) boring jazz tone ever. Ha, I had to get that of my chest!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    What Andy V said, "Pass had a certain stiffness in his time feel". That's what I was thinking. Mainly swing/time feel. I mean, after the new crop of players arrived, like Sco, Abercrombie, Frisell, they set new standards for jazz guitar, and especially swing/time feel, which was hipper and better suited for playing in ensembles IMO.

Besides that, I'm gonna say very sacrilegious thing here, but ES175WithHumbuckersAndFlatwoundStringsIntoPolytone is the most outdated and (to me) boring jazz tone ever. Ha, I had to get that of my chest!
    Wow. That last bit is the most discouraging musical statement from a serious person I've ever read on this forum. Maybe I need a break. You just panned the sound that has haunted me all my life and I've striven to achieve and use. Somehow your statement, which is fair, not harsh, and serious, not trolling... it has momentarily crushed my spirit. Guess I'm a traditional jazz snowflake...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Maybe I need a break. You just panned the sound that has haunted me all my life

Guitar is dead and lives only in the memories of baby boomers and a few gen-x'ers ... I don't mind tho

User Info Menu

Wow. That last bit is the most discouraging musical statement from a serious person I've ever read on this forum. Maybe I need a break. You just panned the sound that has haunted me all my life and I've striven to achieve and use. Somehow your statement, which is fair, not harsh, and serious, not trolling... it has momentarily crushed my spirit. Guess I'm a traditional jazz snowflake...
    He said he was being sacrilegious because people strive for that tone almost religiously, right? That tone is the Holy Grail to many players. As he noted, he's in the minority with that opinion. Take heart, don't take the comment to heart, and continue to strive for the tone in your heart.

User Info Menu

Good thing we are musicians, Lawson, and not accountants. If you're an accountant, it either adds up to $27,504.22 or it doesn't. The sound you love is the sound you love and no one can tell you it doesn't add up. We react as we react and the world of all art is made better for the diversity of feeling within.

I'm supposed to love the music of Billie Holiday and Bob Dylan. Both of them are like chalk on a blackboard to my ear - and don't get me started on Joan Baez! A thousand posters can tell me why I'm wrong but I will shrug it off with my soul and personal taste completely shiny and intact.

Let me say also that I've read many of your reminiscences about Joe's music and your personal relationship with him and have always found them interesting and insightful. So let's engage in fair musical criticism but not take it all too seriously because we are all right and we are all wrong! Via la difference.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV

I'm supposed to love the music of Billie Holiday and Bob Dylan.
    Supposed to?

User Info Menu

Maybe I need a break. You just panned the sound that has haunted me all my life
    ...... i was waiting for LAWson to say that

User Info Menu

I think the more appropriate way for these things is for one to just say "I prefer so and so's play to so and so" instead of this player is BETTER than that player

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voxss
    ...... i was waiting for LAWson to say that
    I don't understand the point you are making.

User Info Menu

i did once dream of that set up..ES175WithHumbuckersAndFlatwoundStringsIntoPolytone ....finances wouldnt allow so i have a peerless Monarch and a Roland microcube...kitchen player not a bedroom one..warmer here....lol

User Info Menu

I felt that way as a teenager. I was used to Hendrix and Beck and the rest. But now, that is my favorite guitar sound. (And a close second is Frank Vignola's acoustic sound.) I don't like the "processed" sound that I associate with more modern jazz players, especially of the fusion variety. I just don't care for it. And as much as I enjoy the ocassional jolt of crunchy rock guitar, I rarely seek it out.

User Info Menu

The 175 into Polytone thing is kinda hit or miss for me. There's records of Joe playing live where I love it, the room supplies a nice natural reverb...it's not like the Joy Spring/Intercontinental type sound, which is almost surely a tube amp (and imho, ranks up there with the best clean electric jazz tones ever) but it's really good.

On some of the studio recordings though, it's just too dry and "brittle" almost ("Eximous," for example)

None of that is Joe's fault though, I think. Those records were made pretty quickly with a pretty low budget. And the playing is still stellar. But I do find the tone off putting enough to where I don't listen to those records as often--and I honestly think if it were a lesser player like, I dunno...Jeff Matz, for example-- I wouldn't listen at all

User Info Menu

I still love the ES175WithHumbuckersAndFlatwoundStringsIntoPolytone sound right alongside the WithL5cesWithHumbuckersAndFlatwoundStringsIntoPoly tone sound best. But the other sounds, processing, effects, Metheny, Scofield, are great too. I enjoy them, learn from them, feel no need to diss them. It's not how I hope to play, but in a Faustian bargain if I were told I could play like Scofield but I would have to surrender my ES175 and Polytone, I'm making that deal yesterday!

User Info Menu

I remember seeing Scofield live once back in the late eighties and thinking I had never heard something so stiff and unmusical or a player with so little interest or connection with the other musicians on stage in my life. I was debating walking out when I saw a guy at a table next to me tapping his feet and bobbing his head like he was at a fiddle jam at a Kentucky hoedown. He had a huge grin and was clearly hearing a serious groove where I heard an AI experiment. That’s when I realized how differently two people could hear the same music!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

<goes home and hugs MiniBrute/>

User Info Menu

WES smokes. i wouldnt say Joe Smokes..just an elegance in his playing...im just playing his For Django transcription original with John Pisano underpinning Joes Es 175 .............did i just hear Saen Saens Dance MAcabre..Faust ...midnight dance

User Info Menu

Wow, im sorry, i didnt mean to crush your or anyone spirit. You know, i very appreciate you calling me a 'seriuos' person, and I am, but when it comes to playing music. Talking on the forum sometimes is different... I guess i can be a bit of troll, but i dont mean bad, just having fun ha!

I do not favor that tone, but by all means, do not stop pursuing it if that's what you love! Why would you! Tone is so subjective. And playing wise, lets just say I use JP licks all the time, he's a giant obviously.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voxss
    WES smokes. i wouldnt say Joe Smokes..just an elegance in his playing...im just playing his For Django transcription original with John Pisano underpinning Joes Es 175
    See I think Joe smokes too. haven't you seen that cigar???

He also swings, laughs, smirks, grimaces, rolls his eyes, parodies himself, and seems to have fun playing.

And I think he smokes.

User Info Menu

What a cathartic thread! Let it all out!