The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 53

User Info Menu

Stumbled upon this guy a year ago or so and forgot about him. Shame on me. Stumbled upon him again today. What a wonderful, young guitarist. Subbed his channel to avoid making the same mistake again

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Better go practice lol

User Info Menu

just unbelievable!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I wonder what'll happen to him. He's got that look. I hope he doesn't go into self-destruct or anything. You never know.

I was transfixed by that Sound Of Silence.

User Info Menu

He's a fantastic player and we've corresponded a little via email.
    Caught him in Paris last spring. So talented. His GJ albums are some of the best out there.
    He also did an album recently with a violinist that studied under Jean Luc. Can't recall her name but its really enjoyable.
    I look forward to following Antoine's career.

User Info Menu

This video is what I was talking about in my controversial thread a couple weeks ago.

Ya this video popped up on my YT page a couple weeks ago too. I added him to FB. Then Wednesday he posted about his upcoming American tour which will come to my college in February! I think it's his gypsy group. If anybody else lives in the Sacramento area, let me know.

Check his website, he's playing all across the country, including Alaska!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eh6794-2.0
    I think it's his gypsy group.
    The tour is with an acoustic guitar quartet. One of them plays a fretless guitar. I think I might need to pull the frets on one of mine

User Info Menu

He is touring with other three in what they call "International Guitar Night". He is brilliant and quite honestly clean cut. I have no reason to believe he would be into destroying what he loves, his career and guitar playing. He won Best Guitarrist at age 16.

I share this video which totally blew my mind. He is carrying two melodies at once in the arrangement for Sound of Silence.

Enjoy him. He will be around for a while. BTW, he was playing a very fine looking Collins guitar (Collings CL Jazz | Thin-line Archtop Electric Guitar). It is a Texas based company. The fretless guitar player Cenk Erdogan was also excellent and very politely told me that I must go to Istambul if I want to get one of those guitars. It not as simple as "removing the frets". The angle of the neck has to be perfect.

Sadly American Airlines damaged Cenk's guitar. It is 24 years old (as he told me 2 years older than Antoine).

User Info Menu

AA also broke one of Antoine's acoustic guitars on this tour. He told me he gate checked it, too.

User Info Menu

Note that he has a Dunlop pick holder on the bass upper bout. I have used these for many years without any lacquer damage. Sometimes I drop picks while playing. Sometimes that's on purpose so I can go fingerstyle for a while. In a split second, faster than using my mouth, I'm ready to play again with a pick.

Sorry! Something went wrong!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Runepune
    The tour is with an acoustic guitar quartet. One of them plays a fretless guitar. I think I might need to pull the frets on one of mine

Wow. I was dreaming about the fretless acoustic guitar (Everytime you listen to Jaco it's impossible not thinking about it, right?) and never thought it existed! Impressive playing.

User Info Menu

So, probably everyone knows about him apart from me.

Technique in youth is one thing. This level of musical maturity quite another. Very special.

User Info Menu

He is definitely amazing. Not just a gypsy jazz wizz kid, for sure!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Scarlatti on a guitar he built himself? Incredible! Chops and finesse and panache like that, at what, 17, 18? The ear rejoices, the heart leaps, the mind boggles, the ego needs a sit down.

User Info Menu

Wow. I'd never heard of him. Stunningly good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Scarlatti on a guitar he built himself? Incredible! Chops and finesse and panache like that, at what, 17, 18? The ear rejoices, the heart leaps, the mind boggles, the ego needs a sit down.
    He is very good, and not to take anything from him but I believe he is in his mid twenties. He released his first Gypsy jazz album about ten years ago. I thing he es 15 or 16 then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Amazing player. He's only 24 years old now. What a beautiful plectrum sound!
    I never thought I'd see anyone play with a pick better than Johnny Smith, but that first waltz he played was incredible!

User Info Menu

It's pick playing with the sensibility of a classical musician. The attention paid to the melody and internal dynamics within phrases etc are really advanced. Very carefully weighted and considered against the shape of the whole piece.

I don't hear that much in guitar players outside of the classical tradition. Even some players within it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    He is very good, and not to take anything from him but I believe he is in his mid twenties. He released his first Gypsy jazz album about ten years ago. I thing he es 15 or 16 then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    At this stage of the game, they all look 12 to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    At this stage of the game, they all look 12 to me.
    Except for the ones who are only 9...

User Info Menu

I used to spend hours watching this young lady's videos.
    I think she was around 14 at the time

User Info Menu

With respect to the last two videos, Antoine Boyer is on a different planet. He doesn't do ugly virtuosity, he plays with the highest level of subtlety and nuance, even when being aggressive. Plus he writes his own music and makes his own guitars! That waltz reminds me of Angelo Debarre's playing, no mean feat in itself, but to compose at that level when in your early twenties is really something.

And he can play jazz!

User Info Menu

A Charlie Haden song:

User Info Menu