The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29

User Info Menu

Another PSA for the fans of Miles Okazaki: 3 very recent releases that I am aware of

- Hive Mind, with Trevor Dunn and Dan Weiss on Tzadik Records… out yesterday! John Zorn is involved, so expect the unexpected…

- saxophonist Aakash Mittal’s Nocturne, with Rajna Swaminathan on percussions. Very interesting Hindustani Raga / Jazz music.

- with Amir ElSaffar & Rivers of Sound: The Other Shore. He can’t be heard very much, to be honest (less so than on the previous release of the same formation), but an excellent album nonetheless. At the junction between Jazz and Arabic music.
    Last edited by ES125er; 10-16-2021 at 12:01 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Miles has just sent a note through Bandcamp to announce that his duo album with drummer Dan Weiss, 'Music for Drums and Guitar', is out on 29 October. Double-vinyl, single CD and digital. You can stream all the tracks now.

Link: Dan Weiss and Miles Okazaki

User Info Menu

Ha! Love this stuff. MO is fearless. Thanks for the heads up David! Download in progress.

User Info Menu

Miles has just announced pre-orders on Bandcamp for his next album, 'Thinness', out 22 March 2022.

LINK: Thisness | Miles Okazaki

"convulsive beauty, propulsive rhythm, elusive meaning...a spontaneous and unpredictable work of art, accordingly discordant, subversively accordant, a pendulum crushing the cage of temporality. This is Surrealism in practice. This is jazz. This is freedom."
    - from the liner notes by Robin D.G. Kelley

Thisness is Miles Okazaki's third volume of compositions for Trickster, a quartet featuring Matt Mitchell on piano, Anthony Tidd on drums, and Sean Rickman on drums. The album is a set of themes that are shuffled and connected in different ways to make four large movements. Okazaki describes the process in the liner notes:

"Our previous albums were made up of what I would simply call "songs," but for this project I decided to expand the format. The intention was to make something like an exquisite corpse, the collective improvisations developed by the Surrealists. So for this album my job as composer was to bring in some ideas, set them in motion and then listen, trying to recognize the value of serendipitous events at transitional points in the music and lead the band down whatever path may be opening. The borderlands are where the Trickster hangs out, the undefined space where logic dissolves and creativity thrives. My hope was that the listener... more

credits

releases March 20, 2022

Miles Okazaki – Guitar
    Matt Mitchell– Piano
    Anthony Tidd– Electric Bass
    Sean Rickman– Drums

Thanks from Miles Okazaki-a4090830753_16-jpg