The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Clebergf got me into this guy. (Thanks, Cleber!)
    He teaches a course on "The Roots Of Jazz Guitar" at Peghead Nation and I just signed up for a month. See what it's like.

Nick Lucas, Eddie Lang, Carl Kress, Lonnie Johnson, George van Eps, Dick McDonough, Freddie Green----those are the big names here. (Maybe one or two more I left out.)

Here's a promo for the course. (After, some performance pieces by Munisteri---he's exceptional.)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Listen to the playing on that second video, and you'll hear why the early 16" Gibson archtops are so special. They are chamber instruments in nature, capable of wide dynamic range and expression, much like a classical guitar. And that's how people like Eddie Lang played them.

Sure, they can be loud like their 17" younger cousins, but they are not designed to be loud (implying that tone is secondary) as the big band era Gibson archtops arguably were.

Thanks for the share.

User Info Menu

Matt's playing really captures the harmonies and the feel of the 20's and the 30's extremely well.

I don't hear very many guitarists playing music from that time era anymore which is a shame since it is so distinctive.

Does anyone know which particular model Gibson guitar he is playing?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Herron
    Does anyone know which particular model Gibson guitar he is playing?
    It's a 1930 L-5. He talks about it here.

https://pegheadnation.com/string-sch...on-l-5-guitar/

User Info Menu

Every time I pick up a dot neck L5 (which is surprisingly often given that I don’t own one), I have to play a little love a little kiss, thanks to Matt Munisteri. I love the later swing stuff, but the Eddie Lang repertoire really brings out the voice of the archtop in all if it’s dynamic and timbral capabilities. Goes back to what roger was talking about in the other thread about guitars that reward your effort. My 16” Gibson and 16” Epiphones from the early 30s do this better than just about any guitar I own.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Clebergf got me into this guy. (Thanks, Cleber!)
    He teaches a course on "The Roots Of Jazz Guitar" at Peghead Nation and I just signed up for a month. See what it's like.

Nick Lucas, Eddie Lang, Carl Kress, Lonnie Johnson, George van Eps, Dick McDonough, Freddie Green----those are the big names here. (Maybe one or two more I left out.)

Here's a promo for the course. (After, some performance pieces by Munisteri---he's exceptional.)

Got some Eddie approved strings on that beauty too!

What a great player.

User Info Menu

Yeah Mark, Matt is incredible. I'm learning a lot from him. This is the style that I really want to know to play. I feel so good and have so much fun playing that 20's, 30's jazz and it's sad that is very hard to see people playing it today. Maybe someday my name will be associate with this style. hahahahhaha

Those guitars are really something special. Probably I'll never have one, they are pretty expensive for us in Brazil, but I'm doing one with a Brazilian luthier that is inspired on Collings AT-16. I'll post pictures and sounds when I got it.

User Info Menu

Matt teaches an arrangement of this in his "Roots Of Jazz Guitar" course.

Nice tune, and this group (The EarRegulars) has such a feel for this music.

User Info Menu

Wow. I love Singin' the Blues and Matt's version is such a joy. I think that EarRegulars are a very nice blend between the traditional and modern.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by clebergf
    Wow. I love Singin' the Blues and Matt's version is such a joy. I think that EarRegulars are a very nice blend between the traditional and modern.
    yes I got this one, it’s excellent:

In the Land of Beginning Again by Jon-Erik Kellso and The EarRegulars on Amazon Music - Amazon.co.uk

Jon-Erik And The Earregulars Kellso - In The Land Of Beginning Again - Amazon.com Music

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

@MarkRhodes. Did you continue studying this course? Is the lesson material able to be saved or printed? I've been thinking about trying this course on Peghead Nation. Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Brion
    @MarkRhodes. Did you continue studying this course? Is the lesson material able to be saved or printed? I've been thinking about trying this course on Peghead Nation. Thanks
    Hi, Brion.
    Yes, the lesson pdfs may be downloaded and printed. (I'm not sure if the videos can be downloaded...)
    I am no longer studying the course. It's good but it's not a priority for me now. I'm concentrating on material from Frank Vignola's "Jazz Studio" channel at TrueFire and some Joe Pass and Herb Ellis material. That keeps me plenty busy.

Matt is great at this style and if you're at all interested in it, try it for a month. There's no way it won't be worth $20 bucks!

User Info Menu

Mark,
    thanks for the reply and information. I'm going to go ahead and try it. I have tried some of the Frank Vignola classes on Tru-Fire and those were good.

Thanks again,
    Brion

User Info Menu

Bucky Pizzarelli is another master of this style. He took my 1935 D'A, and according to Roger Borys, acoustically (there was no P/U on the guitar) filled up the club he was playing at with sound. You could hear him clearly throughout the whole club with no mic.
    He can do things with the pick that i couldn't even imagine.

User Info Menu

I recently saw a great concert - vocalist Catherine Russell, backed by her regular trio: Matt Munisteri, Mark Shane (piano) and Tal Ronen (bass). The trio was swinging like crazy from the first beat - a real joy to listen to. Of course, Ms. Russell was swinging just as hard; she's become one of my favorite singers. In addition to rhythm, Matt soloed on most every song.

A year or two ago I saw Catherine with John Pizzarellli - a good show, but there was nowhere near the energy of Cat with her working trio. If you enjoy straight up swing with a liberal dose of blues tunes thrown in, don't pass up the opportunity to attend a Catherine Russell show.

Here's a link to one of her performances (with a larger band) I saw a couple of years back:

I apologize for drifting away from the main focus of this thread....