The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 42 of 42

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzimprov
    is flac better than mps/

9will the site allow for downloads of both flac and mp3??)

if so will a cd player read the flac as opposed to the mp3

don't want to Dl something my system will not read//
    difference??

thanks,
    Yes, as far as I'm aware FLAC is a lossless format. The files are certainly much large than most mp3s.

Yes, the Bandcamp store will let you download in both formats if you wish.

As far as I'm aware, when you burn an audio CD (as opposed to just burning a data CD or DVD), it shouldn't matter what the original file format was.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzimprov
    is flac better than mps/

9will the site allow for downloads of both flac and mp3??)

if so will a cd player read the flac as opposed to the mp3

don't want to Dl something my system will not read//
    difference??

thanks,
    FLAC is much better than MP3 which are compressed.

I can copy mp3s to a CD (as a ‘data CD’) and my CD player can play that because it has MP3 playback as well as normal audio CD playback.

For FLAC files I have to convert them to WAV using Audacity and then burn the WAVs as an Audio CD. This preserves the quality as both formats are lossless.

I can’t play them on my CD player as FLAC files on a data CD. But my CD player is quite old.

User Info Menu

Been listening to these for the last week. Wow, absolutely fantastic. That is all.

User Info Menu

Flac is losless compressed version of the wav files so way better than mp3...but nice thing w/bandcamp is no matter what with price of admission you can d/l ALL of these ..wav, flac mp3 AAC and so on get all them and use as you see fit all for same price, etc.

RF

User Info Menu

A good interview with Okazaki on the latest Fretboard Journal podcast, about the 'Work' project, gear talk etc.

Listen here: The Fretboard Journal Guitar Podcast: Podcast 215: Guitarist Miles Okazaki

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    As much as I love 50s and 60s jazz guitar sounds, I think Miles sound here is basically that stripped of all kitsch. His flatwounds go plunk to the point of sounding dead at times, completely unlike the glamorous “thunk” people go on about when talking about vintage tone. You’re dead on - this recording sounds totally natural. Peter Bernstein’s solos record also has this characteristic. He has a pretty heavy attack, and sometimes you really hear the clang of his strings, but the outcome isn’t bad: it’s just a much more complex timbre than we’re used to. I think it opens up a whole world of dynamics in composition and performance that a lot of electric guitarists can sometimes overlook.
    I agree with you, although I didn't particularly care for Peter Bernstein's recording of Monk tunes. To me, that album was too refined, too much reverb. Miles' recording is the way that I imagined Monk could sound on guitar, a bit rough and raw at times. I think Miles nailed it.

User Info Menu

'Straight, no chaser' is an interesting take. I don't like too much unaccompanied single note stuff on guitar, but I appreciate the work this guy has put in and the talent. It's definitely worth listening to all the tracks.

User Info Menu

The more I listen to this the more I like it. The originality of the interpretation is really something on some of the tracks. Pannonica is another really interesting one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rfmando
    I know this techno age we live in can be baffling....but its certainly not all bad.

In the last few minutes I've ordered this collection via .Flac and .Wav from band camp for a (very) reasonable price and also for fun Matt Chamberlain's latest from Loop Loft...

To have 6 CD's of Miles O. doing Monk and Matt "Biscuit" Loops to jam with....wow. :-) Almost makes all the media digital noise worth sifting thru, thank you to the artists!

I'll still say hugely brave of Miles O. for going for it with this, he seems one not backing from the challenge and that seems worth supporting. I feel the same of his music book which is still whistling at me near the music stand....time...need more time! ;*)

Be well..

RF
    Does the Artist still get paid when you order them via 'Download ' ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robertkoa
    Does the Artist still get paid when you order them via 'Download ' ?
    Yes, as long as you order via bandcamp site, the artist is getting paid.

User Info Menu

Good...I would never use download sites to sell Music ...they are a huge ripoff...

User Info Menu

Bandcamp is a much better deal for independent artists than iTunes, Amazon etc.

User Info Menu

Thelonious Monk is one my favorite jazz players/composers ever!! I just heard the Fretboard Journal podcast with Miles and sampled the tracks on Bandcamp! Wow! What a labor of love!

User Info Menu

Thought I would give this a discussion a boost back up as Okazaki has just released the Work recordings as a six CD set, for those who prefer a physical purchase.

Available from the Bandcamp page: Work (Complete, Volumes 1-6) | Miles Okazaki
    (You'll see on that page a discount code for those who had already purchased the set as a download - honours system)

User Info Menu

I see he's done a couple of solo Monk repertoire shows in Europe last week. This week he's performing Monk solo in the States in teh Cambridge/Boston area on Saturday 18 May: mandorla music series

User Info Menu

Hi guitar heads,
    Miles Okazaki here. Some people here and elsewhere have asked me about the arrangements for my Monk recordings (Work (Complete, Volumes 1-6) | Miles Okazaki)

The thing is, I never wrote anything down. But now I'm preparing for some concerts where I'll play all 70 tunes from memory, and I'm going back through the tunes to figure out what I did. I'm doing this in a video diary on patreon. If you'd like to check it out, it's here and it's just five bucks. Work, with Miles Okazaki | Practicing the music of Thelonious Monk on guitar | Patreon. There are five tunes up so far with my (very informal) instructional videos.

Best,

MO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by salishsea
    Hi guitar heads,
    Miles Okazaki here. Some people here and elsewhere have asked me about the arrangements for my Monk recordings (Work (Complete, Volumes 1-6) | Miles Okazaki)

The thing is, I never wrote anything down. But now I'm preparing for some concerts where I'll play all 70 tunes from memory, and I'm going back through the tunes to figure out what I did. I'm doing this in a video diary on patreon. If you'd like to check it out, it's here and it's just five bucks. Work, with Miles Okazaki | Practicing the music of Thelonious Monk on guitar | Patreon. There are five tunes up so far with my (very informal) instructional videos.

Best,

MO
    Well this is ridiculously cool. Thank you!