The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

I'm wondering who plays currently the guitar in the language of Derek Bailey, be it called free, free jazz, free noise, free music or whatever...excluding Fred Frith, who plays more or less with the same spirit.
    I saw him in Paris in 1982, he already was a senior musician and I was a 26 years old kid, impressed by his musical audacity and by his guitarristic skills...
    Last edited by Pierrot; 08-11-2018 at 12:38 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

His style was influential in Japan. Check out Otomo Yoshihide, Taku Sugimoto, and Tetuzi Akiyama. There’s also famous players who seem to have been influence by his spirit if not by his particular style: Nels Cline, Mary Halvorson, Jeff Parker come to mind. Adam Levy (from guitar tips, believe it or not) also has some Bailey-esque moments in his album of Monk interpretations, Worry Later. There’s a fantastic guitarist named Nicola Hein who was based in Ny until very recently whose videos I highly recommend. Finally, forum member Rob Mackillop has shared some of his free improvisations, exhibiting a sensitivity and creativity reminiscent of Baileys music.

There are plenty of other “free” players, but I think the ones above are the ones who specifically exhibit elements of the Bailey style and/or cite his as an influence.

User Info Menu

I have couple of students show promising signs. They are too young to mention though.

User Info Menu

John Zuma Saint-Pelvyn sails in those seas...

User Info Menu

Tisziji Munoz ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    His style was influential in Japan. Check out Otomo Yoshihide, Taku Sugimoto, and Tetuzi Akiyama. There’s also famous players who seem to have been influence by his spirit if not by his particular style: Nels Cline, Mary Halvorson, Jeff Parker come to mind. Adam Levy (from guitar tips, believe it or not) also has some Bailey-esque moments in his album of Monk interpretations, Worry Later. There’s a fantastic guitarist named Nicola Hein who was based in Ny until very recently whose videos I highly recommend. Finally, forum member Rob Mackillop has shared some of his free improvisations, exhibiting a sensitivity and creativity reminiscent of Baileys music.

There are plenty of other “free” players, but I think the ones above are the ones who specifically exhibit elements of the Bailey style and/or cite his as an influence.
    Thank you very much, omphalopsychos, that's very useful.
    I'll listen to them carefully.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by curbucci
    John Zuma Saint-Pelvyn sails in those seas...

Yeah, that's the spirit.
    This gentleman makes me understand the interest of a bigsby...;-)

Just kidding, of course. Bigsby is a great tool, even if I just don't imagine myself using one.

Thank you very much, curbucci.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    Tisziji Munoz ?

Too bad the first link is broken and the second one is "only" sound with no image, but ...

Thank you too, medblues. Very interesting music as well.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

dereks classic book on improvisation..good read!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Yeah, Ribot can be considered sometimes as a free-jazz player, mainly when he plays with John Zorn. I wouldn't say the same regarding his playing with the prosthetic cubans. Even with Zorn, I think he remains a little more tonal than his companions.

Interesting musician, though.

User Info Menu

A couple names not mentioned yet, are Dom Minasi and Joe Morris, who was a mentor of Mary Halvorson.

Marc Ribot enters this territory, as already mentioned.

User Info Menu

a more obscure first generation player ala bailey, frith era...was gerry (g.f.) fitgerald

in duet from 1975 with the great improvising soprano saxman lol coxhill

it'll either have you running out of the room gasping for air or entirely zen relaxed!! haha

cheers

User Info Menu

Thank you very much to all the persons who kindly answered my question. I really appreciate.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    dereks classic book on improvisation..good read!

cheers

Downloaded. Now no excuse for not to read it haha...

Thanks a lot.