The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 45

User Info Menu

phew

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great technique but this reminds me of what I use to listen to 30 years ago when I first got into jazz guitar.

E.g. version of Cherokee by Tal, Jimmy, etc.... I.e. the faster the better. Today I don't even listen to those recordings.

Hey, I still like up tempo music but mainly I listen to, and play at medium tempos; I just found this to be more musical .

User Info Menu

Not impressed. He's raping the tune and the situation.

User Info Menu

This reminds me of a local Flamenco guitarist I can't stand who guys by "Blondie".

User Info Menu

He is actually a Greek bouzouki player in the states, he plays guitar on the side.

User Info Menu

I got the impression he doesn't want to play with another guitar player, or he's trying to bully him with the technique, or he just don't care about communication. Either way, it didn't work IMO. But great technique yea, could've done better with it though.

User Info Menu

Playing music is an art, not an athletic event.

User Info Menu

Sorry, this won't lead me to give up playing. 30 sec and I was fed up.
    Even if I'm far from being able to "play" that fast
    I just intend to play some music, with my heart, and it's hard enough for me !

User Info Menu

Damn fast. That's about it, really. Nothing interesting melodically or harmonically.

Are they playing the same song?

User Info Menu

I think fast, virtuosic playing can be very exciting and inspiring.

This clip in particular didn't do anything for me, didn't really have anything interesting or inspiring going on musically.

User Info Menu

Makes me want to quit playing for the opposite reason implied by the OP.

User Info Menu

So this means this must be the best shakespeare. NOW I get it!

User Info Menu

His technique allows him to get into a mood which sometimes reminds me of the term "sheets of sound". The notes take on a different meaning if played at that speed. Sometimes i can almost perceive it as floating. With a suitably strong rhythm section it might actually work out. In this context it doesn't.

User Info Menu

I don't think he's that fast actually. Fast is Al Di Meola, or in the rock world the players like Paul Gilbert or Buckethead, having flawless picking and absolute control over what are they doing over the harmony and rhythm. Whereas this guy is turning on the autopilot and hoping he'll have the time to land on a more or less correct note. Not to mention that his playing is stiff and harsh, no dynamics, which is result of him trying to be the fastest guy in the world.

EDIT: Or listen to Paco De Lucia, for a more "acoustic" comparison. Not to mention classic players who play some etudes so fast, I mean, I can't even hear the melody in my mind that fast.

User Info Menu

i hung in there for 43 seconds. he can move his hands fast but i prefer guitar players who play music

User Info Menu

I did give up ... listening (also after 43 seconds).

User Info Menu

The big problem with you guys .... you all have good taste!!!

User Info Menu

You guys are too harsh. I can hear the bouzouki in this. Try shredding a bouzouki, record it, then post your recording.

Waiting...

Having said that, it's an interesting technique, just not my taste. I will listen to Paco or the Gipsy Kings if I want some fast acoustic stuff, or McLaughlin in his post-electric phase.

User Info Menu

I’m not a Yngwie fan, but I’d rather listen to Yngwie.

User Info Menu

Put me in the "I didn't want to stop playing, I decided to stop listening" camp.

User Info Menu

Mmh, after listening to this I want to stop trying to play fast :-)

... honestly, that was a really unpleasant listening experience that I also quickly stopped. Give me Gilmour any day who plays 10 notes or so a minute ... but they move me ... this just makes me want to run away.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    You guys are too harsh. I can hear the bouzouki in this. Try shredding a bouzouki, record it, then post your recording.

Waiting...

Having said that, it's an interesting technique, just not my taste. I will listen to Paco or the Gipsy Kings if I want some fast acoustic stuff, or McLaughlin in his post-electric phase.
    He should stick to bouzouki then.

I mean, I could play a guitar like a drum, but it aint.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    Great technique but this reminds me of what I use to listen to 30 years ago when I first got into jazz guitar.

E.g. version of Cherokee by Tal, Jimmy, etc.... I.e. the faster the better. Today I don't even listen to those recordings.

Hey, I still like up tempo music but mainly I listen to, and play at medium tempos; I just found this to be more musical .
    You found this to be more musical than Tal Farlow and Jimmy Raney playing up tempo tunes?
    Add another name to the ignore list...

User Info Menu

This kind of fast picking is idiomatic to the bouzouki instrument, where players often play melodies picking notes as fast as possible (kinda like death metal style ).
    Here are some better videos with the Rosenberg trio and Al di meola, and with his music

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    You found this to be more musical than Tal Farlow and Jimmy Raney playing up tempo tunes?
    Add another name to the ignore list...
    The 'this' (that I found more musical) was medium tempo over up tempo recordings (by all the players I like, e.g. Tal, Jimmy etc...).

I didn't find this performance to be very musical (and not just because he played fast but because he wasn't playing with the other guitar player).

I only mentioned Tal and Jimmy's version of Cherokee as examples of when I was young and was fooled by the faster-the-better and that today I like their more lyrical recordings (as well as more lyrical \ in-the-pocket guitar playing).

I.e. 30 years ago I might have been impressed by this performance but not today.
    Last edited by jameslovestal; 05-19-2018 at 03:27 PM.