Just saw someone post this on TGP.
    Figured others would like this.
    Much respect.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

O, man, that's good stuff! Thanks.

User Info Menu

Excellent, thanks!

I saw those guy a couple times back in that period; i was a high school rocker just getting into jazz, and those "old guys" blew us away!
    Some of you LA cats remember "Hop Sing's" club, right? We went there for a Great Guitars show, we walked into the restroom, and Herb was in there, getting violently ill! "Mr. Ellis, are you OK?" we asked. "Yeah, yeah, thanks." [He looked horrible!] Minutes later, he was on stage, not missing a beat, giving the show of a lifetime! What a pro.

User Info Menu

I got to hear The Great Guitars play together in Annapolis, MD a bunch of times at The King Of France Tavern during the late 70s and early 80s and believe me those guys were always downright exciting to see!

In spite of them being 3 stylistically unique jazz guitarists they always played together so well. And then as an extra treat, each one of them would play a couple of solo arrangements alone so you really got to hear what each was capable of doing.

I feel so fortunate that I was there to hear these 3 incredible guitar players multiple times. They were constantly hitting it out of the park!

User Info Menu

the 1st jazz show I attended was the Great Guitars in the 70s.
    I was too young to get in but mom took me even though she didn't know jazz from blank.
    I got to meet them and chat for awhile.
    I remember telling Barney, "you're my favorite guitar player next to Joe Pass!"
    open mouth, insert foot.....silly kid.

User Info Menu

Two of my favorite Herb Ellis performances were in a bossa nova setting, both from the same album.

User Info Menu

I grew up on these guys. They were great showmen--all three.

User Info Menu

I was lucky to see Herb, Charlie and Tal live at individual gigs. I regret never getting to see Barney. Herb always had a mean case of guitar mouth - LOL!

User Info Menu

Yep. Herb had uncontrollable guitar mouth.

User Info Menu

His mum taught him to always chew his notes properly before playing them.

User Info Menu

lol you guys slay me

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Yep. Herb had uncontrollable guitar mouth.
    He was doing what he said other good guitar players he knew and liked (incl Barney Kessel and Joe Pass) were doing, which was to 'sing what you are playing.' It was more pronounced with Herb (though not as pronounced as it was with Oscar Peterson)

User Info Menu

In the late 70s to mid 80s Charlie Byrd had a club in Georgetown. I saw Great Guitars there numerous times and was in the audience for the recording of one of the live albums, fantastic memories!!!

I really miss the "clubs" like Charlie's.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    He was doing what he said other good guitar players he knew and liked (incl Barney Kessel and Joe Pass) were doing, which was to 'sing what you are playing.' It was more pronounced with Herb (though not as pronounced as it was with Oscar Peterson)
    I had seen Joe Pass and Barney Kessel many times but the one time the Ellis\Byrd\Kessel team came into town (at a very fancy place in La La Land), Kessel was sick and so it was only the two of them. Still was an enjoyable evening.

I saw Peterson with Ella, Joe Pass and Ray Brown on bass. They played in various settings like they did for Pablo records; Peterson, Pass and Brown. Peterson piano trio backing Ella (but no Brown on bass since he was her X). etc.. Great concert but it was a dress up affair and more like a classical type gig.

User Info Menu

Yes. When I sat close to Ellis you would notice that he was humming his melodic lines. You are right, though, OP was MUCH louder in this respect.

User Info Menu

And not even in the ballpark for Errol Garner and Keith Jarret (in his orgasmic moan prime)! George Benson turned singing along with your guitar into the ultimate meal ticket.

User Info Menu

For the longest time I hadn't checked out Byrd's playing because I was under the misapprehension that his music would be too cerebral/ difficult/ abstract. Was I ever wrong!

Somebody posted this great live concert of his trio from the German TV. Amazing interplay by all members of the trio, with dynamics ranging from whisper-quiet to full-on psychedelic freakout. Byrd's brother plays bass here (he had accompanied him for many years), and the drummer is great too. A most entertaining performance.

Byrd's Takamine sounds good *most* of the time, with the pickup lapsing into typical piezo quack when pushed too hard. 7/10, most acoustic-electrics of the time sounded much worse.

And the guy's technique! Very little flash, but amazing control of the instrument, playing chords, bass and melody at the same time. Makes me want to work on my classical chops.

Bonus points: Byrd singing some of the tunes. I want to say, this is how you introduce jazz to an unfamiliar audience (although I'm sure most of the audience at the "Subway" jazz club was hip to the scene).

User Info Menu

Charlie swung as hard as any guitar player I've ever heard, no exceptions. I got into him in the '70s, and loved his playing ever since. His first amplified guitar, AFAIK, was an Ovation, and he played one for several years. His brother Joe, whose real name is Gene, stayed with the Ovation bass. IMO he got as good a sound from the Ovation as it's possible to get. I still have my (steel string) Ovation, bought in ~1972. If you haven't, check his work with The Great Guitars, consisting of him, Herb Ellis, and a rotation of other guitarists, including Barney Kessel, Tal Farlow, Mundell Lowe, and others. That was a killer group.

User Info Menu

Thanks, I'll give the Great Guitars a try.

User Info Menu

Hello,
    It's long time I don't write in the forum and the pleasure to share with you a killer bridge of Mr. Kessel on Flying Home convinced me to transcribe it and post here for your comments.
    The phrase is taken from the video of the Great Guitars posted here, from minute 48:10.
    I have not watched the video during the transcription, so the positions might be different from the ones Kessel actually used (but I hope not the notes ).
    The shapes are clear inheritance from Charlie Christian, but Mr. Kessel use them in creative way.
    In particular, it is very elegant the resolution from half step above from Gb7 to F7 in measures 5 and 6.
    I'm currently studying the improvisation on rhythm changes and try to "stole" as much ideas as I can from the great guitarists, and Barney Kessel is on top of my list. This video is a great resource.
    Your comments are appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vinz; 09-27-2021 at 08:16 AM.