The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SFRanger
    When I was in High School, I was in a band playing Rock/Blues. I secretly listened to Classical, Country, and Jazz players. I noticed that I loved listening to players that played songs as if they were the vocalist and accompaniment regardless of genre. In essence , I preferred a complete song with a strong recognizable, even memorable melody. I suppose that came from the tendency to when performing as a soloist for people, it always entailed a song rather than just improvisation over chord progressions. Non-guitarists enjoy songs with a strong melody much more than improvisation. (my opinion of course - and, it's what I enjoy most).

So, Tony Mottola was one of the best for me if not the best. I still listen to him frequently and have even decided to learn quite a few of his arrangements. He wasn't a fingerstyle player I noticed from video and when I saw this, I am amazed at how well he used a pick, even with Latin songs where 16th - 32nd notes were played like in Flamenco.

Amazing musician and gleaned respect from the best in the industry (Frank Sinatra in particular). He is hardly ever mentioned in polls and articles rating top guitar players and face it, the majority of the people that make those lists could never do what he did in the industry and he could if he wanted, fit right in with those that primarily improvised in the Jazz scene.

His recordings are easy to list to and enjoy - impeccable musicianship. I love his playing! Also, he seems like he was a great person.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Rob, try the Hank Garland version. It's on "Jazz Winds From A New Direction". Every guitar player should own that one.
    For all Hank Garland fans Steve Vai produced a movie named " Sugarfoot" I think that is a very good bio-drama about Hanks life and why it was cut short. Like I mentioned earlier I bought an amp from Nancy Sinatras guitar player and it kind of thrilled me to know it had been onstage with those guys in Franks Orchestra as he let Nancy open alot of his concerts.

When My father was teaching me guitar at about age 11 I asked him who the greatest guitar player in the world was and he said Tony Mottola.
    Not my cup of tea now but it brings back some nice memories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk