Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 51 to 56 of 56

User Info Menu

Louis Armstrong, Art Tatum, Charlie Parker, Bud Powell, Monk, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Bill Evans, McCoy Tyner, and Herbie Hancock have been major innovators. I can't think of any jazz guitarists who have been as innovative. I think it has something to do with the nature of the instrument

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop
    Louis Armstrong, Art Tatum, Charlie Parker, Bud Powell, Monk, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Bill Evans, McCoy Tyner, and Herbie Hancock have been major innovators. I can't think of any jazz guitarists who have been as innovative. I think it has something to do with the nature of the instrument
    Poor Charlie Christian - he never seems to get the kudos I think he deserves for being hugely influential - not just on other guitar players (in many styles I might add), but also other instrumentalists. Miles mentioned CC as a heavy early influence too...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop

my wife said what a horrible mean nasty man Tin Tin is even i have had to put up with 40 years of CC Raney Tal and the rest. Jus u go over there burn his house down, . teach him not to mess. wid us .stoopid boy. tell da boy unblock dem ears.

Lets a pray he gets better............................................ ........

Tin Tin im gonna giv you one chance my man...... jus you pologise kid..............................................

User Info Menu

Listening to Miles Okazaki's "Work" recording of 70 Monk tunes. Holy smokes. Absolutely astonishing. Such an unadorned guitar sound with just nowhere to hide from the listener- it is all right there. Just the guitar, maybe right into the desk, with no reverb or anything to soften or camouflage (ES-175CC). If there's a mistake you're going to hear it cuz there is no cover. Not sure how Miles even got some of that music to fit on the guitar! Listening on a good set of headphones is wildly immersive.

I had been thinking about getting this for a while now, and decided to buy during the Great Jazz Gig Shutdown. Buy some music from the jazz musicians you want to support! They're not working, so they need the money!

User Info Menu

It's written up either on his site, Facebook or Bandcamp: if I remember right what you're hearing is a mix between and ambient and a miked Twin. I love Work. It's amazing to me that he put it together in a year. It really shows who he is.

User Info Menu

Django Reinhardt.