The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

I started listening to Pat Martino more lately. I just finished hearing the Road Song. This was a take on a Wes classic. But Pat went further without seeming, well, unseemly. He added quite a bit of complex chording in the background that was both amazing and tasteful.

He's someone who can do long runs of 16th notes and make each one count.

I focused on his tone and really like the sound of each note. I wondered how these notes could be so fat coming from his skinny guitars. Then I remember he uses ropes for strings.

I have some heavy Labellas, and they're no too bad. Has anyone tried the GHS Martino strings?

GHS Custom Shop: Pat Martino Flatwounds

GHS Stainless Steel Precision Flats™ deliver a traditional deep percussive tone due to the unique cross-winding process. They are made with a highly magnetic stainless steel flat wrap for greater volume, longer durability and a smooth satin finish. These are specific gauges put together specifically for guitar legend, Pat Martino.
    GAUGE GUIDE
    MODEL# 1st-E 2nd-B 3rd-G 4th-D 5th-A 6th-E
    CU-MARTINO-L .015 .017 F24 F32 F42 F52
    CU-MARTINO-M .016 .018 F24 F36 F46 F56

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I thought he described his strings as set of 12's that he replaces the high E and B with heavier strings the rest are normal. The normal strings move around too much when he picks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    I thought he described his strings as set of 12's that he replaces the high E and B with heavier strings the rest are normal. The normal strings move around too much when he picks.

That looks like it's true with the "light" set. The mediums are pretty heavy.

Here are Labella's heaviest flats. They are similar to the Martino mediums.

Pat Martino's Strings-la-bella-electric-guitar-stainless-steel-flat-wound-015-056-20ph-png

User Info Menu

I ordered a couple of sets. They are not easy to find, which reflects their popularity or lack thereof. I ordered them from Strings By Mail. They're only about $12 a set.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    I ordered a couple of sets. They are not easy to find, which reflects their popularity or lack thereof. I ordered them from Strings By Mail. They're only about $12 a set.
    Please report back, MG? I've looked at these strings, too, but I'm still in the land of the nickel-wrapped.

User Info Menu

I'll report back.

GHS is only a few miles from my home, yet I have a love-hate relationship with their strings. One good thing they got going for them is that they are not expensive.

User Info Menu

Other factors in PMs tone on that LP and I'm assuming we are talking about the Road Song from the LP "The Visit" , was his use of a very heavy pick, strong/hard attack and his oval holed Koontz archtop. In the late 70's I tried the heavy top strings e.g. .15s etc and since I wasn't PM and didn't hit the strings that hard,and played with a 25.5 sale, it was just plain hard to play.

User Info Menu

There's a music store in the Philly suburbs near where my office was, the proprietor told me Pat comes in there- and he uses a 17 E string.

User Info Menu

When I was studying with Pat a bit in the late 80's, he was using GHS 15, 18, 26, 36, 46, 56 on that intricately carved Rivera "Les Paul". He was not a 'try my guitar' kind of guy, so no idea how a setup like that really felt.

PK

User Info Menu

I studied with him in the late '70s and he used .016 .018 .028 .038 .048 .058

User Info Menu

He also used extremely high action. he once demonstrated that he could barely play an F barre chord in 1st position with the string height and guage.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paulkogut
    When I was studying with Pat a bit in the late 80's, he was using GHS 15, 18, 26, 36, 46, 56 on that intricately carved Rivera "Les Paul". He was not a 'try my guitar' kind of guy, so no idea how a setup like that really felt.

PK
    Did he explain why he used those strings?

User Info Menu

He liked pick hard with a heavy plectrum (I don't recall exactly what..) and would break a lighter string. He did cop to the fact that it was a tradeoff, he was giving up any legato phrasing possibilities rather than lighten up on his picking attack. He used to call his right hand "The Dropout" and his left hand "The PhD"...

PK

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    Please report back, MG? I've looked at these strings, too, but I'm still in the land of the nickel-wrapped.
    I've used nickel rounds for years, mainly to combat fret wear. On my one guitar with flats they are 13 chrome. Since flats are not like tiny files grinding away at feet material I feel assured that non-nickle flats shouldn't present a problem.

And... while PM uses 15 gauge, which I think is pretty hefty. As much as I like the idea, I really wouldn't want to cut another nut just to try them out. Wound G strings are really nice though.

User Info Menu

Be aware that La Bella strings are made specifically for guitars with an archtop/violin style tailpiece. If you put them on a guitar with a stoptail or string through/ top loader the windings at the ball end may likely extend over the bridge. In short, they don’t fit Les Paul ‘s or telecasters. I was ready to buy some and saw the warning on one of the online string dealers.

User Info Menu

Hey guys,
    Reviving this thread, as I just purchased a 2010 Gibson Pat Martino Custom and am curious to try it with a similar gauge that Pat uses

A friend has a Gibby Martino and uses Benson 14 Thomastik's and likes them with the shorter scale guitar.
    I play thomastiks on my L5 & Super 400 and love them, so thinking these might be a good (but expensive), match, Has a wound G though:

amazon.com/Thomastik-Infeld-GB114-Jazz-Guitar-Strings/dp/B001631N9M

The GHS 15s seem pretty close and way cheaper:
    pat martio GHS: Sets - Pat Martino Flatwounds - GHS Strings

Any With a Gibby or Benny Martio model have any insights? I guess I'll have to potentially have the nut adjusted if I go super thick, as it has rounds on it right now:

Thanks in advance!

User Info Menu

big difference in design and materials between thomastik and ghs flats...thomastik uses pure nickel wrap on a thin round core...for low tension...a pricey string to make

ghs are great strings, but the martino flats are standard stainless steel wraps on hex core

way different...in tone and feel

i'm longtime thoms fan..they last , feel and sound great...

cheers

User Info Menu

I just admire the unmitigated crust (as P. G. Wodehouse put it) it took to call a .015-.052 set "light gauge."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robertito
    I just admire the unmitigated crust (as P. G. Wodehouse put it) it took to call a .015-.052 set "light gauge."
    I do enjoy thinking about that as my fingertips bleed with the mediums.

User Info Menu

I do enjoy thinking about that as my fingertips bleed with the mediums.
    Swayed by Martino's influence, I used to string my '68 Les Paul Custom with a set of 15p, 19p, 24p, and then 40w, 50w, and 60w. Nobody ever asked to play my guitar for more than 30 seconds. Or even twice.

Nice.

User Info Menu

Hi, M,
    This string discussion reminds me of my baseball days when some players wanted to use the same weight bat as their Major League superhero irrespective if the bat fit their body size, strength, or even "feel." In Music, it doesn't matter what size you choose if they fit your natural/acquired hand strength, size, and feel. I play D'Addario EJ46 HT Classical strings on my Classical guitars but play D'Addario EPN115 MT on my Gibsons. Why? Because the feel is right and I can play 3-4 hours daily without hand fatigue. How can you gain facility if you're always struggling against your strings? How can you push for an extra hour play time is your hands are sore and fatigued? Strings should be like good children: polite and not irritating.
    Play live . . . Marinero