The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 63

User Info Menu

Really getting into (the late) Eddie Diehl's playing. It's somewhat understated, no showboating, almost what we might call pure bop, as far as I can make out. In this video he is clearly improvising, with some parts working better than others - but you can tell he is really improvising.

I was showing the above to a student, and then we noticed a Pasquale Grasso video, and it's quite a contrast. It was hard not to make a comparative judgement - I hate doing such things, but it was impossible not to.

Pasquale is the more accomplished guitar player - more so than possibly any other jazz guitar player at the moment. I can see why Pat Metheney rates him so highly.

But if I were to be stuck permanently in the afterlife with either man, I'd rather it was Eddie. Despite his little rough edges here and there, the guy has swing galore, and isn't out to impress. I said nothing to influence my student's opinion, but when asked what he thought of both performances, he also couldn't resist giving a preference: Eddie.

I've nothing against Pasquale, and can only concur with those who say he is an astonishing player. Wow, what chops he has! It's just the contrast between these two videos has helped me focus on core values. It is possible to put in too much, and you don't have to put everything in to every piece.

A good groove, and some cool lines is all I need.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I agree with you, Rob. Grasso knows lots of notes, and tends to play all of them. I think it was Count Basie who said something like "You don't have to play every note you know on every solo." I usually prefer players (not just guitar players) who use more space, fewer notes, but choose them wisely. Grasso is undoubtedly one of the more accomplished guitarists extant, but I would like him more if he played more economically. But he has his style, and is unlikely to change.

User Info Menu

I'm with you Rob, I've been listened to Pasquale for a long time on Small's stream with many people. He has amazing chops and knowledge, but for me a lot of his play can get cold and machine like. I find myself listening to him and wishing he'd take a breath and put more feeling in his phrases.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    I'm with you Rob, I've been listened to Pasquale for a long time on Small's stream with many people. He has amazing chops and knowledge, but for me a lot of his play can get cold and machine like. I find myself listening to him and wishing he'd take a breath and put more feeling in his phrases.
    I agree, it's a bit like the Joe Pass solo records for me. I have nothing but respect for it, and would never say I don't like it or that it's "bad," but it's not something I'd choose to listen to on a regular basis.

Eddie's someone I've not checked out enough, I need to remedy that.

User Info Menu

If you are curious about the D'Angelico Eddie Diehl is playing (I would like to know more about the added pickup or pickups):

User Info Menu

eddie had a lot more mileage...if it don't kill you, it eventually comes thru as soul

he was never about flash

cheers

User Info Menu

Grasso is still relatively young, he may slow down as the years go on.
    I remember when Jimmy Bruno first hit the scene everyone said he played way too fast, way too many notes.
    even before his medical issue, he was slowing down a bit.

User Info Menu

ps- was recently talking about this lp in a thread with fass...eddie is credited as rhythm guitar... and there are some solo part overdubs by grant green on certain songs...but it's all eddie on this one ...just groovin along..no flash

crenshaw west from george braith - laughing soul

braith often played multiple horns at once ala roland kirk

cheers

User Info Menu

Confession: I'd never heard of George Braith until now. Thanks for the video, neatomic.

User Info Menu

yeah rob, braiths pretty obscure player..shows up on some blue note organ soul jazz stuff...ala john patton...alongside grant green often too.. cut quite a few records but relatively unknown

eddie didnt really record much at all...

cheers

User Info Menu

The movie about Eddie is interesting in places:

User Info Menu

eddie was also big influence on the great doug raney...people often think that doug got his guitar knowledge from his dad jimmy..but this was not the case...they were somewhat estranged...eddie was key figure ( he was about 20 years older)...wasnt until later father jimmy and son doug got together and recorded many nice things together

real old school nyc characters!

cheers

User Info Menu

That's it: NYC Jazz, through and through. It's not how I play (even if I wanted to) but I love listening to it.

User Info Menu

And what great tone Eddie had. It's not just the 80 year old D'Angelico (which appears to have a pickup with no on-guitar controls- he must have used a volume pedal and maybe an EQ box or just the amp's EQ?). His approach to the songs is approachable. I like his songwriting on Semisamba, too- a nice flowing tune that seems to be based on the Autumn Leaves changes. As was mentioned upthread, I'd like to know a smidge more about the pickup, controls, amp setup that Eddie used. Since he was a guitar tech of some repute, I assume he made the adapter for the pickup himself- placing the pickup really rather far from the neck, not quite Ibanez JP20 far but at least as far as an ES-175. He sounds great in those videos. His album "Well, Here It Is" seems very honest- there are flubbed notes here and there, awkward rhythms in some of the lines, pick getting caught between strings, etc., and he didn't go back and fix it. That takes some guts.

But I find Pasqual Grasso quite enjoyable too. His technique is phenomenal, even a little frightening. His relaxation with the guitar is really impressive- his hands show no tension. I think that he tends to play set or mostly set arrangements on the heads, an approach also used by Gene Bertoncini, since there are different performances of some tunes on YouTube that sound very similar. As Gene said, "Duke Ellington used arrangements so why not?" It will be interesting to see what Pasqual does as he gets older and matures. When Pat Martino started out he was a competitive, blazing young gun and he matured into a remarkable elder statesman. Or look at Pete Berstein's maturation over his career- comparing say Earth Tones withHis Monk record. Pasqual's career may be very interesting to watch.

User Info Menu

Rob -

When I first came here I started a site on Eddie Diehl. He only made one LP of his own but it wasn't on YouTube. It is now because I've just put it there - about two minutes ago! Enjoy.

My Heart Stood Still
    Swedish Schnapps 5.59
    Semisamba 10.58
    Swinging Till The Girls Come Home 17.20
    Aquarian Melody 22.43
    Love You Madly 30.57
    My Romance 40.33
    Be Bu 48.08

Eddie Diehl (g)
    Hank Jones (p)
    John Webber (b)
    Mickey Roker (d)

Last edited by ragman1; 01-12-2018 at 02:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Rob -

When I first came here I started a site on Eddie Diehl. He only made one LP of his own but it wasn't on YouTube. It is now because I've just put it there - about two minutes ago! Enjoy.

My Heart Stood Still
    Swedish Schnapps
    Semisamba
    Swinging Till The Girls Come Home
    Aquarian Melody
    Love You Madly
    My Romance
    Be Bu

Eddie Diehl (g)
    Hank Jones (p)
    John Webber (b)
    Mickey Roker (d)

Thanks, that's some great stuff!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara

But I find Pasqual Grasso quite enjoyable too. His technique is phenomenal, even a little frightening. His relaxation with the guitar is really impressive- his hands show no tension.
    I too gravitate more to Eddie's musical style but while I don't aspire to PG's his relaxed, flowing, confident, never rushed left and right hand technique is something I am actively trying to emulate.

Will

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    And what great tone Eddie had snip> I'd like to know a smidge more about the pickup, controls, amp setup that Eddie used. Since he was a guitar tech of some repute, I assume he made the adapter for the pickup himself- placing the pickup really rather far from the neck, not quite Ibanez JP20 far but at least as far as an ES-175. He sounds great in those videos. .
    Beautiful guitar ....
    Re the pu
    It appears to be in the standard (virtual 24 fret) position
    A la 175 etc etc ....

That's interesting in itself ... as he , or someone ,
    intentionally put it there , making up a bracket with a spacer

Most of us would probably just mount it straight on the end of the fb
    (Cp Peter Bernsteins guitar) for a fatter sound , maybe it
    Was too fat ? dunno

I believe its an old Gibson humbucker , don't know what year
    tho sorry

Nice honest sound tho

User Info Menu

If a jazz box can be 'too fat' !

Ha

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Beautiful guitar ....
    Re the pu
    It appears to be in the standard (virtual 24 fret) position
    A la 175 etc etc ....

That's interesting in itself ... as he , or someone ,
    intentionally put it there , making up a bracket with a spacer

Most of us would probably just mount it straight on the end of the fb
    (Cp Peter Bernsteins guitar) for a fatter sound , maybe it
    Was too fat ? dunno

I believe its an old Gibson humbucker , don't know what year
    tho sorry

Nice honest sound tho
    I just acquired a Dearmond FHC "monkey on a stick" pickup setup that I have on my acoustic 51' Gibson Super 300 - it is quite amazing how much difference it makes moving the pickup closer too or further from the end of the fretboard and really makes the "monkey on a stick " design fun to have as it is a simple matter of sliding the pickup back and forth to experiment.

Will

User Info Menu

Ragman, many thanks for the upload. I'll have a good listen.

Will, I'm sure emulating PG's technique will do you no harm at all. Good luck!

Yes, Eddie has a great tone with that D'A. It has great mojo, as does he. Made for each other. He looks very relaxed when playing, sitting without a strap, the instrument grooving along with him. It's all flow. Yes, he fluffs quite a few notes, but the soul comes through loud and clear, which is what I like to hear.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Ragman, many thanks for the upload. I'll have a good listen.

Yes, Eddie has a great tone with that D'A. It has great mojo, as does he. Made for each other. He looks very relaxed when playing, sitting without a strap, the instrument grooving along with him. It's all flow. Yes, he fluffs quite a few notes, but the soul comes through loud and clear, which is what I like to hear.
    My pleasure. It was always a wee bit strange to me why that album was never on YouTube! I'll get round to linking the tracks properly when I've more time.

Yes, he fluffs a few notes but who cares? Joe Pass did that too and I've never thought it mattered. It's his real-deal style I like, eminently listenable.

User Info Menu

Pasquale Grasso -he is playing solo guitar...fantastic!
    Eddie Diehl he is plaing guitar with bass...great player!

have you any clip of Pasquale with bass only?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I'll get round to linking the tracks properly when I've more time.
    It just needs a colon instead of a period between the time values: 5:59 instead of 5.59.

Cheers.

User Info Menu

I really, really like Eddie's playing, from the very first time that Joel Fass shared his story. Some may call it outdated, and that is probably fair, but he captures something special and lyrical that I really like.

Pasquale had some nice playing also, in his own style and interpretation. I wonder how he plays and sounds with a bass player, as kris mentioned?