Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 38
    Jazzarian Guest
    Kurt Rosenwinkel (modern jazz?)
    John Abercrombie
    John Tropea
    Pat Kelly

Riteneour comes to mind, but I find his style far too "pop" for my liking these days.

I can't say I've ever heard Holdsworth play archtop. He's as much "modern jazz" as he is fusion.

As I've said before, I'm not wild about Metheny's straight ahead efforts. I liked him in the PMG, I liked him with Brecker and Tyner.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Tim Miller is great... His compositions are mainly fusion, but ive seen him play live a few times and he plays standards very nicely, but he puts his own twist on them... I really like it, but hes not a traditional player..

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Innerurge1
    Tim Miller is great... His compositions are mainly fusion, but ive seen him play live a few times and he plays standards very nicely, but he puts his own twist on them... I really like it, but hes not a traditional player..
    Can't say I've heard him.

Jazzarian Guest

BTW, Tropea does a fabulous job with Montgomery's "Full House". Tropea with Ronnie Cuber and the rest of the Blues Brothers Band.

User Info Menu

Boston native... Teaches at Berklee... Has 3 cds and is considered one of the best teachers at Berklee, and by many considered the best... Is coming out with a book with Mick Goodrick very soon... Great player... IMO top 3 best guitarists technically...

User Info Menu

but actually, hes very modern, i wouldnt consider his playing straight ahead at all, but nonetheless great player...

Jazzarian Guest
    but actually, hes very modern, i wouldnt consider his playing straight ahead at all, but nonetheless great player...

I take it you get to see the Berklee wonderkind fairly often?

Tropea was one of the early Berklee grads, being there during the time of Corea, who didn't graduate apparently.

User Info Menu

personally... Im not a huge fan of Tropea... Just not my style...

I think the only fusion player with real straight ahead chops is mr.John Scofield.everyone else is a hack or they just suck.no one can even come close to sco.(imho of course)
    except Metheny.in fact they should do another record together.

Jazzarian Guest
    personally... Im not a huge fan of Tropea... Just not my style...
    You've heard him play straight ahead jazz on an L5? He's really good, but conventional.

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Fingers
    I think the only fusion player with real straight ahead chops is mr.John Scofield.everyone else is a hack or they just suck.no one can even come close to sco.(imho of course)
    Well maybe next year Santa will bring you some new CDs to change your "mind".

User Info Menu

not sure if fusion player is the right description but John Etheridge covers most styles with panache

User Info Menu

Tim miller is just awesome. What standards did you saw him playing? I know only of Fall.

User Info Menu

How about Stern. He can play straight ahead, I just don't hear him do it much.

User Info Menu

Ive seen tim play ESP and Nefertiti as well as Fall... Ive only seen him 2 times and these are what ive seen along with his compositions...

User Info Menu

Tim is my favorite player, he is the one with more originality these days.

User Info Menu

Hes really great... so unique... I want to get some lessons with soon...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by derek
    Stern has a standards cd out that is great. He also plays standards on a cd w/ bassist Harvie Schwartz. Both are really nice cds worth looking for if you like Mike.

=-) PJ

User Info Menu

Corea's best hired gun is Carlos Rios. See "Cool Weasel Boogie" on Electrik Band. I believe he's playing w/Stevie Nicks these days but his fusion stuff is smooth.

User Info Menu

Guthrie Govan is a fusion player who is really quite phenomenal.... The whole album Erotic Cakes is really good. Slidey boy is really good the nylon solo in that song is just insane.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by derek
    I'm not a huge fan, but Mike Stern has developed into a very strong straight ahead player. Scott Henderson is almost there. John Mclaughlin, Larry Coryell can do it. Seems like any of the fusion guys that want to be authentic have put in the work to do it.

User Info Menu

Al di Meola

User Info Menu

LARRY CORYELL!!!!

Go back and listen to 11th House.

He needs to get more mention on this forum (as well as Vic Juris)

User Info Menu

Allan Holdsworth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

I was recently hipped to John Abercrombie a few months ago. A fine player indeed. I am also a big fan of Pat Metheny. I especially like his work on Pilgrimage by Michael Brecker. Allan Holdsworth is up there on my list, too, though his idea of playing "standards" is far from falling within the straight ahead vein.