The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 38 of 38

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by musicjohnny
    Al di Meola
    I have never heard Al play anything close to straight ahead jazz. No knock on him, but just never see that.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hmm. As far as "straight ahead" jazz, I would pick Wes, or Al Martino, or Kenny Burrell. I thought we were talking "fusion" here...Dimeola is awesome, but I really believe that Holdsworth kind of defines the genre...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzophobe
    Hmm. As far as "straight ahead" jazz, I would pick Wes, or Al Martino, or Kenny Burrell. I thought we were talking "fusion" here...Dimeola is awesome, but I really believe that Holdsworth kind of defines the genre...
    My mistake...I went back and reviewed the subject line...my bad! Sorry!

I still stick to Holdsworth as being a very good straight ahead player (when he wants to be)...

Adam Rogers
    Scott Henderson
    Ben Monder
    Frank Gambale

User Info Menu

Interesting thread to unearth ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patlotch
    Marc Ribot, Julian Lage, Miles Okazaki... can do it. They even skipped the fusion period, for my delight
    Marc Ribot admits to not being that adept as a straight-ahead player, and expresses quite a bit of disdain for it in a recent interview.
    Julian Lage could play it better than anyone on the planet, before he was stricken with that neurological disorder. Maybe he can still play that way today, but I haven't heard any evidence of it on his recordings.

Like Ribot, Di Meola is another hater of straight ahead jazz, calling it "uncreative, museum music" in an interview.
    Coryell also admitted that he couldn't play straight-ahead, until he started studying it more in the late 70s. Everything he played before was fusion.

User Info Menu

Some folks wouldn't know straight ahead if it bit them on the nose.

User Info Menu

And now, heeeeeere's Johnny!

User Info Menu

Agree with all mentioned and add Bill Connors.
    I've seen Scott Henderson in some small venue settings...he can absolutely tear up the joint playing straight ahead.

User Info Menu

Frank Zappa called them gnat notes.

User Info Menu

Allen Hinds

John Landeau

User Info Menu

What does 'staight-ahead' mean here? playing authentic bebop or swing? being able to play old standards? playing in trad combos? playing archtops? wearing suits? or is it just personal feeling - 'hm it is straight ahead'?

I am saying that because I think 'straight ahead' is very broad thing...

Fusion player playing Stella in acoustic combo with mainstream swinging rythm group of upright bass , piano and drums... but this fusion player sounds great though he does not play bebop idioms? Is it considered staight ahead?
    Mike Stern or even Metheny can tear it up in standard setting on standard tune playing mostly fusion/jazz rock idioms..

By the way Jim Hall starting from 70s.. is he really straight head ? His soloing thinking, his melodic ideas and development are not really idiomatic for be-bop and related style..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzophobe
    By the way it is Pat Martino. A musician who can straddle the genres is Biréli Lagrène. He is also a very good bass player in the Jaco mold.