The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29

User Info Menu

Crying inside.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I never really got into Mundell's playing during his lifetime but recent listening to Julie London and Sarah Vaughan backed by Mundell gave me new appreciation for him. I just received "The Incomparable Mundell Lowe" on CD and it's really good. Very swinging, great tone, highly recommended.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    I never really got into Mundell's playing during his lifetime but recent listening to Julie London and Sarah Vaughan backed by Mundell gave me new appreciation for him. I just received "The Incomparable Mundell Lowe" on CD and it's really good. Very swinging, great tone, highly recommended.
    I saw Mundell often from the early 80s up until he passed since he played gigs in the Southern California area. E.g. at Donte's in North Hollywood. I had just purchased The Mundell Lowe Quartet album. He was very open and friendly. Check out that recording because it is a first rate example of 50s jazz guitar playing. Nice standards but there is one Mundell original - Far from Vanilla. The title says it all! So of course during the last set when Mundell asks for request, this 19 year old punk asks for this song. Mundell just laughs and says the bass player doesn't know the tune and he didn't have chart.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzz

Bob Boss's living room... I was there for that lesson which was really more of a performance.