The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

I always had a certain amount of respect for Emily, and her live take of Tenor Madness is something I have been coming back to for years for blues study. She's a champ, but yesterday I heard this and was just blown away. My respect and admiration skyrocketed. May she rest in peace.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think she's the one I miss the most. Oh what could have been!

I love the way she comes in on this track. Those harmonics followed by the double stop octave lick. Sweet, sweet, sweet.

Thanks for the clip, pushkar000!

User Info Menu

*that* is jazz music I really really enjoy and could listen to all day long.
    so much soul, feeling, swing, sense of melody and phrasing. Just lovely.

User Info Menu

That is sooooo gorgeous! Is that from the East to Wes release?

User Info Menu

Emily's one of those players we lost way too early. There's so much more she would have done...the recordings she left us are an iceberg tip...

User Info Menu

I heard that on the radio the other day and didn't know who it was.
    she could really play, rip

User Info Menu

Emily...
    I/ve bought her VHS edu tapes in 1991 ...as I remember - It was in USA.
    Great player !!!
    Best
    Kris
    ps.
    She/s been in Poland with Larry Coryell.

User Info Menu

I felt the same way until I recently took this course on positive psychology. The subject is not just happy talk.

Regarding the loss of Emily, it is also worth being grateful that we had her at all and that there are recordings to savor.

Still I wonder whether she'd have continued to advance her music and to what new realms. I more often wonder about Jimi Hendrix and Bird, but there are so many who flamed out early.

On the other hand, it seems that most artists hit their peaks fairly young, or at least their rate of change slows down by 40.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Emily's one of those players we lost way too early. There's so much more she would have done...the recordings she left us are an iceberg tip...

User Info Menu

Well, the mind always wants to go there, especially after the loss of someone so young. But reality tells us anyone is here as long as they should have been. How do we know? She's gone.

User Info Menu

What a waste, one so talented to die aged 32, not helped by the frequent use of
    heroin, she might well be still regaling us without it.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzereh
    That is sooooo gorgeous! Is that from the East to Wes release?
    Not sure, just stumbled across it on youtube.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    I felt the same way until I recently took this course on positive psychology. The subject is not just happy talk.

Regarding the loss of Emily, it is also worth being grateful that we had her at all and that there are recordings to savor.

Still I wonder whether she'd have continued to advance her music and to what new realms. I more often wonder about Jimi Hendrix and Bird, but there are so many who flamed out early.

On the other hand, it seems that most artists hit their peaks fairly young, or at least their rate of change slows down by 40.
    It makes sense. You do your early learning and assimilating, and your style emerges. If you've done your learning in your 20s, your major innovations are probably going to happen in your 30s and 40s. After that, it's mostly going to be refinement, unless you're really extraordinary like Miles or something.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pushkar000
    Not sure, just stumbled across it on youtube.
    I'm almost positive it is. I know I've heard it before, and East to Wes is the only thing of hers I have.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    I'm almost positive it is. I know I've heard it before, and East to Wes is the only thing of hers I have.
    Yes it is on that record.

User Info Menu

I love Emily and this song. Wow!

Yes, it's from East to Wes.

User Info Menu

And here's a transcription...from All Things Emily...

http://www.allthingsemily.com/pdfima...yRemlermus.pdf

User Info Menu

Just found your post and I wanted to thank you for this transcription. I have been taken with the re-harmonized intro she created and want to play it ...

What a treasure Emily is. This tune epitomizes the immense feeling she brought to her performances. For those that are interested - here is a podcast featuring Emily and Larry Coryell. You can find it on iTunes, as well.

Talking Jazz Vol 21
    Last edited by Bflat233; 11-05-2018 at 12:25 AM.

User Info Menu

Crazy huge talent that leaves us all wondering what could have been !!!!!!!!! and thankful for what we have . I have never heard this so thank you for the gift

Will

User Info Menu

As Neil Young sang in The Needle and the Damage Done, “every junkies like a setting sun”. It’s a shame she went down that road...such a waste. Leave the heroin and all other crap alone, it just isn’t worth it. At least we have some good recordings to remember her by, but there should have been so much more.

User Info Menu

That may the best performance of her I have ever heard...just beautiful

User Info Menu

I’ve loved the East to Wes album for many years - a lot of material on there that an intermediate player can transcribe and learn a great deal from - artistically also really strong player. There were some audio recordings of lessons by Emily on allthingsemily.com - not sure if they are still there but if so evidence of a wonderfully generous and witty human being, with *practical* solutions for us lesser players!

User Info Menu

Amazing that this thread popped up again.

I've been hooked on her version of Horace Silver's "Strollin'"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bill C
    I’ve loved the East to Wes album for many years - a lot of material on there that an intermediate player can transcribe and learn a great deal from - artistically also really strong player. There were some audio recordings of lessons by Emily on allthingsemily.com - not sure if they are still there but if so evidence of a wonderfully generous and witty human being, with *practical* solutions for us lesser players!
    Thanks for the site. This is amazing material.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Vinnie
    Amazing that this thread popped up again.

I've been hooked on her version of Horace Silver's "Strollin'"

Great choice! Whenever I hear Emily Remler play I think “why didn’t I think to play that over this tune” - supremely tasteful and *accessible* playing ...

User Info Menu

Are there any other female jazz guitarists of the same renown as ER?

Gone at such a young age. I would like to hear what her playing would sound like today maturing and developing from 1990.