The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 45 of 45

User Info Menu

Already posted in 2 other threads, but it was this discussion about Rosenwinkel's sound that inspired me to tweak some parameters in Boss SE70 and come up with the following sound:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Cool sound Vladan! Interesting articulation and horn-like tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythmisking
    Cool sound Vladan! Interesting articulation and horn-like tone.
    Thanks for listening and watching!

User Info Menu

I am not a Kurt R studier...

But he did mention he has a 'Device' / Pedal of some
    sort which takes much of the front end attack off his notes - it was a Video with him mentioning it.

Guys like Rosenwinkel , Kriesberg , Moreno etc. are doing what Rock and Pop Guitarists have been doing for many decades...essentially bringing their Studio Sound to the Stage.

I guess Metheny did the same thing - but his 'Delay sound' was a product of Stereo Delay from 2 Amps often .

The younger Generations of Jazzers are more aware and slightly influenced by Players like Holdsworth ,(Tim Miller etc. ) Eric Johnson, Metheny, Larry Carlton and even
    Eddie Van Halen ( legato from' Tapping' then emulating that with a super soft pick attack and Delay - a la Kriesberg etc.).

Anyway- there's a Video where Rosenwinkel mentions the Pedal he uses and I think he held it up-
    don't recall which one or why I watched it ..just find it on Youtube.

To the OP or whoever asked about not wasting money on Pedals..- the most predictable way to shave off front end of attack is a Studio Compressor -dynamics unit, not necessarily an expensive one.

A good Recording Engineer can show you which ones and how to set threshholds etc.

But there will always be tracking issues etc on
    different program material and possibly chords versus single notes .

The fact that that Pedal works consistently onstage is a good endorsement for it especially in that tangled pedalboard ...

Call the manufacturer and ask a few questions...then maybe order one with unconditional return Policy to try it for a few days.
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 02-03-2018 at 11:25 AM.

User Info Menu

IDK, I don't mind his tone--pretty distinctive--I just don't think it works for me--I'm more of a Kenny Burrell/Grant Green kind of guy.

He's obviously a gear freak, but seems like if slowing the attack and prolonging the decay is the goal, a bit of overdrive, rolling off the treble on the guit, medium reverb and medium chorus will get you most of the way there, i.e., a cheap man's Metheny ("I get annoyed when people refer to my sound as chorusy...").

Sometimes I do just this when I'm playing around, or accompanying a singer solo, for instance, when staccato notes aren't always ideal.

As far as a horn- or organ-like tone, I have an EHX B9 pedal, and one can combine the dry guitar output and the rock or jazz organ output for a pretty cool sound.

I started out loving a very processed tone, ala Belew and Fripp and Holdsworth and Metheny, but lately I have been going the other direction. I still admire someone who can rock a good processed tone though.

User Info Menu

Vladan, enjoyed the song and the tone and the video--you should work on Ferry Cross the Mersey next...

And, of course, play that song (HHTM) up to the tempo of the Les Paul recording, which as I recall is about 280 bpm...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Vladan, enjoyed the song and the tone and the video--you should work on Ferry Cross the Mersey next...

And, of course, play that song (HHTM) up to the tempo of the Les Paul recording, which as I recall is about 280 bpm...
    Thank you Doctor.

Can not find that Les Paul's version, I found couple on the fast side, but not that fast. Whatever, I can not play CD at that BPM, let alone guitar.
    Merry Christmas, happy New Year... (and to all fellow forum members) ...

User Info Menu

Hi all!
    Sorry for resurrecting this oldish thread.
    I'm new to the forum btw, looking forward to learning a lot!

To those who like Kurt's music and might have a little experience in trying to recreate his sound:

1) Do you have any recommendation regarding the compressor he suggests to use AFTER the POG2 ?
    I have a POG2 but no compressor. I consider getting one but I'd like to start with something not super expensive (maybe aound 100$ used)

2)Do you have experience with the TC electronic chorus/ flanger? I find this to be a very intriguing pedal. Kurt has had it on and off his pedalboard for 10 years or more, but he seems to have it on a very subtle setting. There are several other pro players that use it as well (Eric Johnson, Joe Bonamassa), also on very low settings. Almost like a secret wepon that very slightly alters the sound. Unfortunately it is quite expensive, and there don't seem to be any reissues from TC in a smaller enclosure and with 9V DC input.

I'd love to hear about your experiences, cheers!!

User Info Menu

IIRC he used to use a Boss compressor, a blue one.
    Which setting does Kurt use on TC SCF? Pitchshit? I don't hear chorus or flanger sound in his tone. I used to have one but didn't like it. Although I didn't try to replicate Kurt. It was a very subtle effect unit by itself. What I wanted at the time was a fake Leslie and apparently I bought a wrong one. lol

User Info Menu

I remember hearing Kurt talk about singing with his lead lines. One day someone said you should do that all the time.
    Kurt said he liked the sound and noticed he could achieve that same sort of thing with a flanger set low in the mix.

But regarding compressors the TC Hypergravity is really cheap and super tweakable.
    also the Xotic SP1 is small and sounds really good.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, that's some really helpful feedback.
    I noticed his sound had this vocal quality, even if he was clearly not singing along. It definitely sounded like an effect to me, not something he did with his actual playing. The flanger is a great suggestion in that direction.
    Also, the three compressors you mentioned are really rather affordable, so I'll wait and see if one comes up for sale locally.
    Cheers!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    He seems to keep it pretty basic, just 10-15 pedals connected in every way imaginable.

Read this for the first time today; love your sense of humor.

User Info Menu

Often discussed, I know.

But, I was wondering if someone can help identify the signal chain to create this Kurty tone?

Flavio Silva on Instagram: “Solo over Larry Willy’s “To wisdom the prize” during a concert with maestro @bigsolid11 a few months ago at @jazz973clementsplacejazz .…”

Delay, reverb, maybe gain? Curious about the specific attack also. Done with delay?

User Info Menu

Kurt uses the attack control on a Electro Harmonix POG2 to soften the attack of each note and get that 'flutey' sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitar2020
    Often discussed, I know.

But, I was wondering if someone can help identify the signal chain to create this Kurty tone?

Flavio Silva on Instagram: “Solo over Larry Willy’s “To wisdom the prize” during a concert with maestro @bigsolid11 a few months ago at @jazz973clementsplacejazz .…”

Delay, reverb, maybe gain? Curious about the specific attack also. Done with delay?
    cool. thanks. What about the effects order? and specific settings? would like to know. thanks

User Info Menu

Here's a YT video with a fairly convincing take on Kurt's flutey tone:

In the comments, the guy who made the video *only* mentions the HOG 2 (no other pedals), and says he gets the flutey sound using +1 octave and the glissando effect, and that he removes the pick attack using the filter.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    He seems to keep it pretty basic, just 10-15 pedals connected in every way imaginable.

I can not imagine how the noise amplified enourmusly in such amount of pedals, I mean the noise signal ratio. All his records are free of such an artifact.... puzzler.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    He mentions (2:00 - ) he is shaving the attack off "with this thing", then use a compressor to make it very quick.

In the light of this, any guess in later posts (and also the common sense) what recommend that the tool to shave the attack is a compressor, is invalid, is not it? Just make no sense to use two compressors, first is shaving the attack, the second is trying to reverse what the first did...

The mystery what is "this thing" remains.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    He mentions (2:00 - ) he is shaving the attack off "with this thing", then use a compressor to make it very quick.

In the light of this, any guess in later posts (and also the common sense) what recommend that the tool to shave the attack is a compressor, is invalid, is not it? Just make no sense to use two compressors, first is shaving the attack, the second is trying to reverse what the first did...

The mystery what is "this thing" remains.
    No mystery. He says “this thing, this Pog”, then the camera cuts to a Electro Harmonix POG 2 on the floor. He’s still using that pedal today.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor

Compressors don't shave the attack anyway. If anything, they accentuate it. There are volume swell pedals that can hide the attack though.