The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 67

User Info Menu

mark, how is the jimmy bruno different than before? i know for a while he had some other guy respond to submissions. Is he still responding mostly woth text? is he putting up new content now that he’s recovering? I was enrolled around the same time as you before I believe

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    mark, how is the jimmy bruno different than before? i know for a while he had some other guy respond to submissions. Is he still responding mostly woth text? is he putting up new content now that he’s recovering? I was enrolled around the same time as you before I believe
    Good questions. I don't have all the answers.
    My understanding is that the webmaster who used to be there is no longer there.
    Jimmy had planned a change to the site but according to one of his recent videos, I understood him to say it wasn't going to change. The Forum is closed. I don't think that's coming back.

For my recent submissions, I upload the videos to YouTube and send him a link. (Not the way it used to be, which was a little convoluted.) He responds via YouTube. (Comments on the video.)

I'm not sure how things will be in a few months.

You know, I wonder who else here is enrolled now and may know a lot more about what to expect in the near future.

User Info Menu

What kind of things does Jimmy teach? Is it all related to jazz guitar or other subjects like rhythm, ear training etc...?

Thanks

User Info Menu

If you join Frank's channel do you get access to all of the videos he has on Truefire or only the content in the new channel? I have a few of his courses I purchased on Truefire and they are pretty good, it would be nice to have access to a few of the others.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ah.clem
    If you join Frank's channel do you get access to all of the videos he has on Truefire or only the content in the new channel? I have a few of his courses I purchased on Truefire and they are pretty good, it would be nice to have access to a few of the others.
    As a member of Frank's Jazz Studio, you only have access to material that he has uploaded to the channel, which does not include his course material. Some of that material includes content he sells on his website (the purchase of which is handled through Truefire). For example, he has something he calls "101 ways to play a C scale" on his channel, which is also available for purchase on frankvignola.com. There are a couple of others, including some chord melody arrangements, that he sells on his site that have migrated to the channel.

Truefire is having a sale on all of his courses today only if you want to stock up.

User Info Menu

I am a member of Frank's Channel. It is different from the courses. There is a lot of great stuff there. There is some stuff for absolute beginners to Jazz guitar. There is a listening Room, which seems to be a collection of Frank's favourite guitarists. The concert features videos of Frank in various group settings. A song Bank with many Jazz Standards lead sheets and mp3s of Frank playing so you Jam with the man himself. The Improv section features lead sheets and simple solos that you can play along with Frank. The workout room has studies written out by Frank. Riffs and Licks is exactly what it sounds like. There is also a play along section and a chord melody club. A lot of great stuff.

I recently had a private lesson with Frank through True Fire. That was excellent !! For $39, I (video) recorded myself playing a few songs from his channel. He (video) responded a few days later with some constructive criticism and some exercises that I should work on.

A real bargain at $39. I highly recommend it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    I recently had a private lesson with Frank through True Fire. That was excellent !! For $39, I (video) recorded myself playing a few songs from his channel. He (video) responded a few days later with some constructive criticism and some exercises that I should work on.

A real bargain at $39. I highly recommend it.
    I'm doing a private lesson with him now and it's doing me some good. I already know I'll do another. (A lesson of this sort may take a month or more to complete.)

He really stresses songs. Learn songs. Lots of songs. "You learn 50 songs and you're a player." And what he means by learning a song is learning the sh*t out of it! ;o) I'm playing tunes on a single string, then the same tune on another single string. (Scales too, and arpeggios.) You really learn the fingerboard well and it seems to help my hearing of intervals. Frank is a great guy and a great teacher. He will put you to work, though. ;o)

User Info Menu

Looks like Frank Vignola is a great teacher. I'm actually looking for a teacher that has a lot of jazz knowledge but is also into rock, fusion stuff. Anyone come to mind on the truefire teachers list that you would recommend?

User Info Menu

Does Frank do anything in his lessons with ear training?

Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnjohnsonsfsd
    Does Frank do anything in his lessons with ear training?

Thanks
    Frank's lesson are catered to your needs at your stage of development. I sent him a couple of video clips of me performing a couple of Jazz Standards.

He sent back a video with a couple of suggestions of technique exercises that I should apply to another set of Jazz Standards. He also sent me about a dozen Standards (pdf) that I should learn ( I already know most of them ).

Once I have learned to apply those new techniques, I will send him another video of me performing a few of the suggested standards.

Frank's video was not a Standard pre recorded video like you see in some situations (Lesson 1 - do this, Lesson 2 - do that). It is a direct response to my video. It looks like Frank is in his home office responding to my specific needs.

I can not express how great this is. AND FOR $39.

Local Jazz Guitar Professors in Toronto are charging $80 to $100 per lesson.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    Frank's video was not a Standard pre recorded video like you see in some situations (Lesson 1 - do this, Lesson 2 - do that). It is a direct response to my video. It looks like Frank is in his home office responding to my specific needs.

I can not express how great this is. AND FOR $39.
    I agree. He usually calls you by name, right? "Hey, Mark!" I like that.
    I'm working on "When You're Smiling" from the Song Bank. I had heard the tune before but never tried to play it. It's not hard but I don't know it. When I learn these simple tunes, my ear improves. (Barney Kessel suggested playing folk songs by ear, "Happy Birthday," "Down in the Valley," anything you've heard forever and know well. Picking those things out---and playing them in several different places on the guitar---has really helped me.

As for private lessons, I'm working on fretboard knowledge. Playing melodies on a single string. (This is tough with melodies with a wide range, such as "ATTYA" or "On The Sunny Side of the Street")

Also playing a lot of things with downstrokes only.

User Info Menu

I wasn't going to post this here but one thing Frank said shocked me: he loved the sound of my guitar! He liked the sustain and presence. Imagine Frank Vignola liking the sound of my old $300 Ibanez!

The assignment was to play the bass note and melody for "All the Things You Are." He provided a lead sheet with the changes but nothing specific about fingerings, chord voicings, positions. (Even though I wasn't playing full chords, I was aware of the "shape" I was in at any time.)

I'm still learning how to do this, so this is by no means a polished performance. Indeed, Frank told me not to wait for that. "I need to see your mistakes," he said. And boy did I oblige.

The comp chorus is muted and quiet---it was early in the morning.

Recorded with my iPhone. Amp was on its cleanest setting. (There's a trick to this on a Fender Mustang amp: press the power button and the setting selector button at the same time and the amp comes on clean as it gets. It's not a specific setting: it's the sound without any specific setting.)

User Info Menu

Got the email that the price for Frank's "Jazz Studio" at True Fire will go up. Those who started at the 5 bucks a month rate will stay at that rate.

I have no financial stake in True Fire but I think this is a great deal. Get in while the getttin' is good (and cheap)! ;o)

User Info Menu

nice playing Mark...

User Info Menu

Nice playing Mark. I'll not put mine here. It's too bad. hahahahaha.

And about the price from Jazz Studio, well, run folks, 5 bucks is too cheap and there is a ton of lessons there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I wasn't going to post this here but one thing Frank said shocked me: he loved the sound of my guitar! He liked the sustain and presence. Imagine Frank Vignola liking the sound of my old $300 Ibanez!

The assignment was to play the bass note and melody for "All the Things You Are." He provided a lead sheet with the changes but nothing specific about fingerings, chord voicings, positions. (Even though I wasn't playing full chords, I was aware of the "shape" I was in at any time.)

I'm still learning how to do this, so this is by no means a polished performance. Indeed, Frank told me not to wait for that. "I need to see your mistakes," he said. And boy did I oblige.

The comp chorus is muted and quiet---it was early in the morning.

Recorded with my iPhone. Amp was on its cleanest setting. (There's a trick to this on a Fender Mustang amp: press the power button and the setting selector button at the same time and the amp comes on clean as it gets. It's not a specific setting: it's the sound without any specific setting.)

That was great Mark !!

User Info Menu

Got the email that the price for Frank's "Jazz Studio" at True Fire will go up. Those who started at the 5 bucks a month rate will stay at that rate.

I have no financial stake in True Fire but I think this is a great deal. Get in while the getttin' is good (and cheap)! ;o)
    Tried to register yesterday but the payment wasn't getting through - looks like they have a problem with that right now....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Tried to register yesterday but the payment wasn't getting through - looks like they have a problem with that right now....
    Dang. Hate to hear that. Hope it's squared away soon.

User Info Menu

Dang. Hate to hear that. Hope it's squared away soon.
    There's a public announcement on the site that they're working on straightening that out - almost a week to go...

User Info Menu

Payment finally made it through - I'm in!

User Info Menu

Payment finally made it through - I'm in!
    Great. Glad to hear it.

User Info Menu

There's a public announcement on the site that they're working on straightening that out - almost a week to go...
    Which site is that?
    If there's a problem with Frank's site, you can sign up for the channel via the True Fire site.

User Info Menu

Which site is that?
    If there's a problem with Frank's site, you can sign up for the channel via the True Fire site.
    Was on the Truefire site - a "Public Announcement" so I was prepared to have problems. Got in touch with "WonderWoman" which didn't help much but eventually today my PayPal payment went through.

User Info Menu

Was on the Truefire site - a "Public Announcement" so I was prepared to have problems. Got in touch with "WonderWoman" which didn't help much but eventually today my PayPal payment went through.
    Glad to hear it. I was at the site earlier and all seemed normal.

User Info Menu

This has been lying dormant for almost a year....

So I'm curious: who is actually in and working with this and how are y'all doin'?