The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 36

User Info Menu

Are there any bands/guitar players who use a lot of Jazz Chords
    but do not play in a jazz "style"? Rock/Pop ect ect?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

bobby weir of the dead was probably the most underrated rhythm guitarist of all ime--he knew his inversions.

i'd also reccomend steely dan. lotsa great chords.

User Info Menu

Jobim?

joni mitchell
    bruce cockburn to name a couple...canucks

User Info Menu

Stevie Ray Vauaghan
    Allman Brothers Band
    Steely Dan

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Jobim?
    jobim not jazz? really?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by randalljazz
    jobim not jazz? really?
    Well, I used a question mark. Bossa Nova, you know.

User Info Menu

ya, it's cool. the lines are blurry, and we all see it a little differently.

User Info Menu

Andy Summers
    Tom Verlaine
    Leon Redbone

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by janepaints
    Andy Summers
    Tom Verlaine
    Leon Redbone
    Tough to call Andy Summers a non jazz guy. He calls himself a jazz guy stuck in a rock band. He has more discs that could be called jazz than rock stuff. His recording of Monk tunes (Green Chimneys) is one of my favs. Certainly not a traditional type jazz or rock guy.

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by derek
    Tough to call Andy Summers a non jazz guy. He calls himself a jazz guy stuck in a rock band. He has more discs that could be called jazz than rock stuff. His recording of Monk tunes (Green Chimneys) is one of my favs. Certainly not a traditional type jazz or rock guy.

What's a "jazz chord" anyway? 4 notes or more?

The Allman Brothers used major and minor 7ths, as did Santana and Clapton. Hendrix had his 7#9 chord ad nasuem. I'm sure even the Grateful Dead used a few Major7ths.

Does Robben Ford count as a "non-jazz" player?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzarian
    What's a "jazz chord" anyway? 4 notes or more?

The Allman Brothers used major and minor 7ths, as did Santana and Clapton. Hendrix had his 7#9 chord ad nasuem. I'm sure even the Grateful Dead used a few Major7ths.

Does Robben Ford count as a "non-jazz" player?
    Not sure who said, "Jazz lives above the 7th.", but that seems right. Robben Ford did time with Miles, so I can't imagine calling him a nonjazz guy. Sometimes such labels work and sometimes they don't.

Trey Anastasio of Phish is a guy who was very obviously trained in jazz, but is doing the jam band thing. Jimmy Herring is another in this genre.

User Info Menu

Brian Setzer. He took lessons from from a jazz player when he was a teenager, and it shows.

George Harrison--he liked to use a lot of diminished chords...he called them 'nasty' chords!

Jazzarian Guest
    Not sure who said, "Jazz lives above the 7th.", but that seems right. Robben Ford did time with Miles, so I can't imagine calling him a nonjazz guy. Sometimes such labels work and sometimes they don't.

Trey Anastasio of Phish is a guy who was very obviously trained in jazz, but is doing the jam band thing. Jimmy Herring is another in this genre.
    Herring is a Berklee grad.

User Info Menu

Paul simon has had some really good guitarist play with him in recent years. Vincent Nguini from cammeroon is the only one i know off hand though.

User Info Menu

Robben Ford isn't a jazz guitarist, even if he does have some experience there.
    But it really depends on what you define as a jazz chord, personally I dont believe such a thing exists.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dalton
    Robben Ford isn't a jazz guitarist, even if he does have some experience there.
    But it really depends on what you define as a jazz chord, personally I dont believe such a thing exists.
    So inspite of the of the work he did with Miles and the Yellowjackets you don't think he is a jazz guy? I know he choses the blues, but Robben is one guy whom I believe can walk in both worlds and be authentic. Interesting take.

Jazzarian Guest
    So inspite of the of the work he did with Miles and the Yellowjackets you don't think he is a jazz guy? I know he choses the blues, but Robben is one guy whom I believe can walk in both worlds and be authentic. Interesting take.
    Indeed.

Now if we could get him to break out his Super400 now and then.

His "unplugged" "Authorized Bootleg" CD recorded at Yoshi's is about as jazzy as I've heard from him play.

User Info Menu

Jeff Beck!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskywheels
    Jeff Beck!
    Good call.

User Info Menu

I think chords are simply chords...and it would be a misplaced sentiment for any musical 'faith' to claim possession of any. In my own songwriting, (unpublished), l found certain chords: maj7, m7, aug, dim etc. perfect and appropriate to the nature of the lyric, yet thestyle in these is a long way from jazz. Mind you, there is one that has a diminished run up the bass in the chorus, and in writing this and since l understand a bit more than l did about jazz (thanks to all on this site), l just had the idea of jazzin up the solo on it...coz l can! Wow! I'll shut up now. Sorry for rambin!

Jazzarian Guest
    Good call.
    Actually it was probably the late Max Middleton who brought the jazz chords to the Jeff Beck Group (e.g. "Jodie"from 1970, really nice Rhodes work from Max).

I saw Beck open for Santana in the mid 1990s, twice. He was terrible. Not the fusion-Beck I once knew.

User Info Menu

A joke; Q; What's the difference between rock and jazz?
    A; Rock consists of the same 3 chords listened to by thousands of people, whereas jazz consists of................

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskywheels
    A joke; Q; What's the difference between rock and jazz?
    A; Rock consists of the same 3 chords listened to by thousands of people, whereas jazz consists of................
    And the opinion of laymen en masse means what exactly to you?

You know how far "Hendrix was the greatest" talk will go around here?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzarian
    You know how far "Hendrix was the greatest" talk will go around here?
    Who?