The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36
    Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskywheels
    Who?
    Rock people seem to need popular opinion polls for "direction" They often will cite popularity as a reason for saying someone is "good".

I've found people en masse tend to do very stupid things. Like tell a jazz musician "Hendrix was the greatest". Or (c)rap-hop doesn't suck because it sells so well.

To paraphrase Barbara Steisand, "People who need people, are the stupidiest people, in the world...."

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A lot of the roots and rock a billy guys use "jazz" chords like Setzer who was mentioned or the Rev Horton Heat. Most have never strayed too far from the hollowbody or single coil pickup ( or something pretty close to it)
    p-90's, dearmonds, CC pickup, or a filtertron.

I have had a chance to meet a lot of them and in spite of the tatoo and hot rod image they would rather talk about Charlie Christian and Stuff Smith

There are a few good western swing guys out there now as well .Whit Smith from the hot club of cowtown is a amazing player. not a rock band but firmly in the roots camp. they can also go from tearin down a honky tonk to playing at a gypsy jazz festival.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzarian

Q:You know how far "Hendrix was the greatest" talk will go around here?
    A:not as far as "Benson was the greatest"

were the people en masse all saying it together?like "HENDRIX WAS THE GREATEST"?

must of been a fan club.and for them maybe hendrix is the greatest.what's wrong with that?live and learn.
    Last edited by Metal Fingers; 09-15-2009 at 09:12 PM.

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Fingers
    A:not as far as "Benson was the greatest"

were the people en masse all saying it together?like "HENDRIX WAS THE GREATEST"?

must of been a fan club.and for them maybe hendrix is the greatest.what's wrong with that?live and learn.
    I suspect you think rock charlatans are "on par" with jazz musicians.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzarian
    I suspect you think rock charlatans are "on par" with jazz musicians.
    you suspect wrong.I think people are "on par" with people.

~layman?Lame man~wack in fact.

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Fingers
    you suspect wrong.I think people are "on par" with people.

~layman?Lame man~wack in fact.

OK, you just keep on thinking Yngwie Porkstein is "on par" with George Benson.

That and (c)rap-hop is real music.

User Info Menu

Danny Gatton

User Info Menu

Nick Drake, Van Morrison, David Bowie (from time to time), Tim Buckley, Jethro Tull, Zappa, Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, UK (espcially because of Allan Holldsworth), JOan Armatrading, Brand X, Pink Floyd (Dark Side of the Moon was influenced by Miles) Brian Wilson (Beach Boys), Bee Gees, ABBA, Stevie Wonder, Curtis Mayfield, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Elvis Costello, Cat Stevens, tango musicians..and a large etc.

User Info Menu

Durutti column first two albums he plays the bass notes with his thumb its not a bass guitar.Bossa jazz Classical jazz getz montgoery and mjq.Siouxsie and the banshees john mcgeoch era very wierd chords there are many bands who like complex chords to convey complex emotions

User Info Menu

John Mayer uses alot of jazz chords in his playing. He is more of a Blues influenced musician.

Before anyone questions Robben Ford's credentials I recommend a keen listen to the great Rickie Lee Jones recording ' Pop Pop'. It features Charlie Haden, Joe Henderson and Ford playing the most beautiful understated accompaniment. Not to mention Rickie singing her ass off. I wouldn't be surprised if this CD was responsible for inspiring Hayden to initiate the recording of Missouri Sky.