The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 64

User Info Menu

Okay...I realized, I do not own any particular album of solo jazz guitar playing. I do have a lot of individual tracks. I am looking for two things. One, the best listening experience...but two, something that I can learn from. So preferably someone playing standards than originals or just noodling.
    Someone who plays with some space so I can more easily analyze some of the harmonic choices. I do have some Joe Pass, and Martin Taylor. I like them to some extent, but maybe a little busier playing than I prefer. I like a few tracks from Ted Greene I have. So I am looking for suggestions that don't include those guys. Or maybe a recommendation on a good video website or book. But I am thinking this aspect of playing may best be studied if you do a lot of your own work. Thanks in advance.

Brian

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hmm besides Ted Greene, Martin Taylor, and Joe Pass? Those are definitely the big names for solo guitar...

Nelson Veras has a new solo album out. It requires attentive listening but the playing is of a very high caliber.

Marc Ribot, saints is one of my favorite albums and definitely my favorite solo guitar playing. If the other guys are too busy for you, you might like Saints.

User Info Menu

I would vote for any of the Joe Pass "Virtuoso" albums.

-Scott

User Info Menu

Mimi Fox has some incredible solo material. She's also a great teacher and some of her videos are accessible online. She's obsessed with solo guitar and she actually studied with Joe Pass. I gave her a ride from the ATL airport to Athens for the Jazz festival a couple years ago and was fortunate enough to have been able to pick her brain for a couple hours. It was like taking a guitar lesson. She recommended listening to classical string quartet pieces for solo guitar ideas.

User Info Menu

George van eps' "soliloquy," luiz bonfa's "solo in rio" and barney kessel's "solo" come to mind.

Bucky pizzarelli's "one morning in may" has some good stuff too, but I don't love the sound quality.

Funny, for a guy who plays as much solo guitar as I do, I find most solo guitar albums really boring.

Oh, one more I actually like is jack grassel's "guitar smoke."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    ... Funny, for a guy who plays as much solo guitar as I do, I find most solo guitar albums really boring. ...
    that's because solo guitar is boring, LOL! for me, solo guitar isn't boring when it's live (when the guitarist is really good and really engaging). and of course it's not boring when you're the guitarist because you're concentrating on the song and not on how it sounds to anybody else.

User Info Menu

John Zorn put out a record of solo guitarists playing Klezmer Jewish folk songs. But check out who's playing

Bill Frisell playing solo. Marc Ribot playing solo. Tim Sparks playing solo.

Not Joe Pass, but I love it.
    David

User Info Menu

^^^

Ok, wow, I need that record. Thanks for sharing. Now that's not boring!

User Info Menu

Oh yeah... (headslap to the forehead) How about Ralph Towner? He did tons of solo stuff. All good and all a veritable treasure chest of ideas.

Composer, guitarist, pianist extraordinaire.
    Worth a check out
    David

User Info Menu

I love Lenny Breau's solo records, especially Five O'Clock Bells, if you like Ted Greene you'll really dig Lenny.

User Info Menu

I really like Gene bertoncini and Eric Skye.

User Info Menu

I think Gene Bertoncini is the least boring. About as close to hearing someone doing a kind of Bill Evans thing on guitar as I have heard.

I think I would like it 10X better if he was playing an archtop though. Not loving the tone he gets on the classy.

User Info Menu

Not mentioned here so far, one of my favorites is Ron Affif's "Solotude". I've played this one over and over again thru the years. (I also have a few of his other group efforts, although I seem to keep coming back to "Solotude".)

Just checking over at Amazon, it dates back from 1999, is still available (at a very reasonable price, I might add), and yet is apparently Ron's most recent recording. Hmm. Unfortunately, he seems to have dropped off the radar. Anybody know anything more?

User Info Menu

I know and/or have all what you mentioned (of course I like Breau & Pass as great solo players, too) but I thought I also should name the fingerpicking Martin Taylor or the great Bossa Nova player Baden Powell. Louis Stewart also does great solo playing (Out on his own) or Joe Diorio ...

Yeah, Nelson Veras - the solo sessions volume 1
    Hope there's a volume 2 coming soon!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Funny, for a guy who plays as much solo guitar as I do, I find most solo guitar albums really boring.
    Do you also feel that solo guitar has way more potential to develop than what's out there? I'm dying to hear a solo jazz album with better orchestration. Compelling basslines and melodies in classical guitar fashion. Less single note lines and busy walking basslines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF
    Do you also feel that solo guitar has way more potential to develop than what's out there? I'm dying to hear a solo jazz album with better orchestration. Compelling basslines and melodies in classical guitar fashion. Less single note lines and busy walking basslines.
    As recommended above, Ralph Towner.

Also John Stowell and Bruce Dunlap

Steve Herberman is an excellent solo guitarist. He has great contrapuntal movements, george van epps Triadic concepts and baroque approaches as I think he had some lessons with Ted Greene.
    A very sensitive player, no flashy stuff just gorgeous weaving chordal lines..

User Info Menu

Peter Leitch - Self Portrait

Peter Bernstein - Solo Live at Smalls

Ralph Towner - Open Letter

Jonathan Kreisberg - One

Last edited by David B; 05-24-2014 at 05:59 AM.

User Info Menu

+1 on Baden Powell (if you're going in the Latin/Bossa direction)

+2 on Ralph Towner (not traditional jazz, but a great composer & soloist)

Tuck Andress

User Info Menu

My first recommendation is Ted Greene Solo Guitar, not boring at all, he knew how to use the guitar as an orchestra. One of the last solo guitar albums that I find very interesting is Jonathan Kreisberg's.
    I find most of the jazz solo guitar works boring. The players don't know or not want to use all the capabilities of the guitar. This is a poliphonic instrument and can be auto sufficient, as a piano. Recently I have bought Peter Bernstein's Solo. He is one of my favourite players and I admire him for his tremendous talent, but in the most part of the record I feel the lack of something, the movement is not continuous, there are irregularities in the density of the music, alternating chords only with single lines only. The playing is of course superb but I think he can develop a better solo style, combining both things.
    Last edited by malanzas; 05-24-2014 at 10:47 AM.

User Info Menu

Kenny Burrell - Tenderly (Live Solo Concert) one of my favourite solo guitar records, though seldom mentioned
    Jimmy Bruno - 'Solo' not Jimmy's fan, but I really liked this record

User Info Menu

John Stowell has more laid back feel than a lot of Joe Pass' solo work.

User Info Menu

not a fan of chord melody, the only chord melody stuff I could tolerate is Joe pass' virtuoso albums, that and a little bit of lenny brau.

User Info Menu

I love jazz on a nylon string. I should get this Earl Klugh album.