The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 64

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    John Stowell has more laid back feel than a lot of Joe Pass' solo work.
    Maybe a little more modern sounding too.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    I love jazz on a nylon string. I should get this Earl Klugh album.
    I've no words for this - from his album Solo Guitar:

User Info Menu

Recently I have bought Peter Bernstein's Solo. He is one of my favourite players and I admire him for his tremendous talent, but in the most part of the record I feel the lack of something, the movement is not continuous, there are irregularities in the density of the music, alternating chords only with single lines only. The playing is of course superb but I think he can develop a better solo style, combining both things.
    I had the same feeling when I first listned to this record... Peter is one of my favourite players (not only modern) in group.. it is never boring to listen to him. But in this case I was surprised...

Nevertheless the otehr day I tried again and I could not stop... somethin probably changed in me.

I think Peter's playing has one very important feature.. He sounds like he wants to make an attempt...

On solo records guitarists often try to secure themselves even unconciously - going more into pre-arranged tunes, or developing vocabulary of practical voicings/shapes/rythm etc to avoid going too far out to be lost, or to make a mistake in bass lines etc in impro. That makes the sound more elaborated and integral but in most cases I have this feel behind it - I kind of admire 'oh how tastefully he arranged it, or how cool he makes voicing' - even if they really 'improvize' I often have this feeling as a listner - like Jimmy Bruno's Solo I love it sounds great, I love it.. but at the same time a bit too in 'comfort zone' (comfort on his level of course)... or Ted Greene's records when I listen to him it is like he is an engneer of chord shapes who shares with me with his new inventions - also great.. (nothing against these great players of course..)

But with Peter I had something different, somthing I really expect from music - he is daring and challenging, he is like giving it a try, he takes the risk, wants to go to an unknown territory right now while playing... and it is fascinating... especially that he does it in such himble way.. mostly using conventional language and tunes, he manages to reveal something really new.

The other side of it that it may sound a bit 'raw'.. but actually that is what I like, it should be like this. If the pro does not make mistakes he is probably good for backing studio tracks but not for musical art.

I would like to metion his sound and technique also - he plays mostly with pick only (seldom hybrid) - so this effects in a certain way of articulation, on texture.
    His sound in chords is a bit heavy, bith in solo in comping, and this sounds even heavier becasue in rythm work he always plays a bit behind the beat like slowing down a little... in solo work these features come out much more and probably also render a bit unexpected effect.

(By the way also fantastic dou record of Peter and Joachim Schoenecker 'Dialogues' - simple but not corney, easy-going but deep.. both players are different but have close mentality and it makes it more inmteresting - I really enjoy listning to it as to a dialogue, a conversation, not just noodling of top players)
    Last edited by Jonah; 01-16-2015 at 07:41 AM.

User Info Menu

Stephen D Anderson's solo record of Bill Evans tunes is just beautiful.
    http://www.amazon.com/Remembering-Ra.../dp/B000HEWFS4

Here he is playing an original:

and if you're looking for an ear opener, Marc Ducret is an inspiration:

User Info Menu

Stephen Anderson is super a talented guitarist He was a close friend of Lenny Breau.
    He also did a nice book on Lenny's style of playing... Very nice stuff about two finger chords and harmonics. I have liked the book "Visions" very much and think it is a nice explanation of how to approach harmonics as a part of melodic expression.

User Info Menu

It isn't solo guitar but Ed Bickert's "at the Garden Party" is pretty amazing for guitar bass duo. While never easy this one is easier to hear all the voicings etc. for transcribing.

User Info Menu

Not to be tedious, but although this is not an album it is pretty nice.

User Info Menu

Francesco Buzzurro "One Man Band"

Jeff Linsky "Solo"

Two lesser known german guys are worth checking out:
    Uwe Kropinski
    Manfred Dierkes

User Info Menu

In addition to Jimmy Bruno and Barney Kessel, the late Howard Morgen did many standards, too and some can be viewed on You Tube.

User Info Menu

I've really enjoyed 2 albums by Jerry Krahn, "No Wires Attached" & "Garden in the Rain". Straight forward acoustic solo jazz with some great arrangements on old standards.

User Info Menu

I'm sure someone already mentioned the Joe Pass Virtuoso albums, so I am gonna add my +1 to that vote.

User Info Menu

Ron Affif, Solotude. Kreisberg's solo album. Sylvan Luc. Anything by Stowell or Sid Jacobs. Barney Kessel. So much great stuff, many already listed above.

destinytot Guest
    I really like his solo album played on nylon strings, I REMEMBER CHARLIE PARKER.

User Info Menu

I mentioned Peter Leitch's 'Self Portrait' back on the first page of this thread. I had it playing as background music before a Peter Bernstein clinic I presented last month. PB was really impressed with PL's performance, so much so that he recently emailed me to ask for the album details.

Last edited by David B; 02-09-2015 at 08:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Here's another excellent recordimg: Howard Alden - 'My Shining Hour'

User Info Menu

Peter Leitch - 'Self Portrait'

Peter Bernstein - 'Solo'

Pasquale Grasso - 'Time on my Hands'

Louis Stewart - 'Out on his Own'

Johnny Smith - 'The Man with the Blue Guitar'

User Info Menu

Some more:

Martin Taylor - Solo

Jonathan Kriesberg - One

Larry Coryell - Private Concert

User Info Menu

Hittin on six
    Julie is Her Name
    Last edited by nopedals; 07-03-2017 at 04:28 PM. Reason: not really responsive to op

User Info Menu

Sylvain Luc - Standards
    Pat Metheny - One Quiet Night
    Earl Klugh - Naked Guitar

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

George Van Eps / Johnny Smith - Legends

Ron Eschete - A Closer Look

Joe Diorio - Solo

User Info Menu

Ron Affif - Solotude
    Tuck Andress - Reckless Precision
    Charlie Hunter - Eight String Guitar

User Info Menu

Joe Pass Virtuoso Vol 1-3

User Info Menu

The incredible jazz guitar of Wes Montgomery

Kenny Burrell Midnight blue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

As new to jazz definitely Midnight Blue and I would add Herb Ellis' Nothing But the Blues

as well as Herb Ellis supporting Hawkins and Webster, listen to every instrument a room full of masters

Also Wes Montgomery's Far Wes and just one more

Grant Green's Grantstand.

Listen to them until they are worn out, until your kids can sing all the solos.

Enjoy