The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

Just thinking about Emily and watched this video of her. Sure miss her, her first album came out when I was in GIT and I became a fan then. Love all her albums especially her tribute to Wes and the album with Larry Coryell. Everyone I've talked to that knew her said she was the sweetest person you'd ever want to meet. One guy was taking lessons from her and his work schedule change and he could only fit in a lesson at 6am. Emily said she'd do it. He said he'd show up and ring her doorbell and she'd answer in her pajamas from getting out of bed. She tell him come in, but I have to make a cup of coffee first. So she start some coffee and come back and start the lesson.

I remember she said when she finished Berklee she wasn't really playing that well. Then she moved to New Orleans and got a steady gig and playing every night in NOLA is when her playing really came together the rest is history. I believe this video is from her last tour that did her in. What I was told is she had switched record companies and new album out so they wanted her to do a promotional tour. Problem was they where real cheap so could take her band, they would pay for here boyfriend to come visit her on the road, she was in another country by herself. Everyday was get up, rehearse pickup musicians, do some promo interviews, and play the gig at night and go back to hotel. So was very depressed and one thing led to another and we lost her. So sad, but we still have her albums and videos to remember her with.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

When she did the album with Larry Coryell, they toured as a duo. I got to see them (mid 80's) at a little jazz club in SF called Milestones (long gone, sadly) and was blown away by Emily's taste, chops and phrasing. I own all of her recorded output. She left us too soon, but her voice is one of the legends of the jazz guitar to be certain.

User Info Menu

I had the chance to see her at that time at The Bach in Half Moon Bay, CA but missed it. A great talent.

User Info Menu

Learned the head of "Tenor Madness" from that clip. What a loss.....

User Info Menu

"I may look like a nice Jewish girl from New Jersey, but
    inside I'm a 50-year-old, heavy-set black man with a big thumb, like Wes
    Montgomery."

rip Em....

User Info Menu

I'm a big fan of Emily. Yes, she was gone too soon. Her death still makes me sad.

From what I understand she died from heroin. I don't think she intentionally killed herself. Maybe I got that wrong.

Regardless, she was a gem.

User Info Menu

One of the first CD's on jazz I ever picked up was something from Hot Licks with Emily teaching her approach to swing.

I keep the metronome and her close.

Bad thing drugs and music.

Remembering Emily Remler today-er-png

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    I'm a big fan of Emily. Yes, she was gone too soon. Her death still makes me sad.

From what I understand she died from heroin. I don't think she intentionally killed herself. Maybe I got that wrong.

Regardless, she was a gem.
    Everything I've heard it was accidental.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I worked with Emily demonstrating Borys guitars at various jazz clubs, I accompanied her on 7-string, a great instrument. We became friends when I was booking her into clubs I was producing at, and I took a shot at managing her, but her "problems" made that impossible. She was sweet and kind, and playing music with her was very special: she was open to challenge and curious, enthusiastic and always searching, but very assuredly. A great player and a lovely soul, much missed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    I worked with Emily demonstrating Borys guitars at various jazz clubs, I accompanied her on 7-string, a great instrument. We became friends when I was booking her into clubs I was producing at, and I took a shot at managing her, but her "problems" made that impossible. She was sweet and kind, and playing music with her was very special: she was open to challenge and curious, enthusiastic and always searching, but very assuredly. A great player and a lovely soul, much missed.
    I was a major Borys customer and a huge Emily Remler fan and was thrilled when Roger introduced me to her at one of his workshops, in a Boston jazz club. Another guitarist went with me and took these photos:

I was greatly saddened at her loss, since I felt that she represented the future of jazz guitar, or at least, the type of jazz guitar I enjoy. On the night the photos were taken, she blew away some really good area players.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Another jazz great, gone too soon.

Thanks for this thread.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W.
    I was a major Borys customer and a huge Emily Remler fan and was thrilled when Roger introduced me to her at one of his workshops, in a Boston jazz club. Another guitarist went with me and took these photos:

I was greatly saddened at her loss, since I felt that she represented the future of jazz guitar, or at least, the type of jazz guitar I enjoy. On the night the photos were taken, she blew away some really good area players.

Danny W.

Roger said that she and Larry Coryell were living together when LC bought
    his B-120. They were both doing drugs.
    Based on the tone of his autobiography, I think LC felt partly responsible for her ODing.

Herb Ellis thought so highly of her, that he called Roger up and worked out a deal where she could pay for the guitar in very small installments, over the course of a few years.

User Info Menu

"We've noticed, how people of great creative talent often have a dark side that wants to destroy it and themselves. I'd say that the biggest fear for an artist is that if they stop destroying themselves, they won't have that other, good side." - Emily Remler

(from: Jazz Profiles: Emily Remler: Jazz Guitarist )

Emily knew very well what hard drugs can do: kellerfrau / Moni Kellermann: Photo of the Day 2009-08-10: Emily Remler live 1985
    Last edited by Ol' Fret; 05-23-2017 at 05:31 AM.

User Info Menu

I also admired both her playing and the instructional videos she made on jazz improvisation and Bossa Nova Rhythms. Her explanation of target notes was very helpful to me and simplified things quite a bit when learning improvisation.

I think the Borys guitar was a great fit for Emily - the softness of tone and lyrical nature of Rogers guitars complimented her playing style in a positive way.

I'm also a fan of Rogers guitars and currently nearing completion of a B120 Deluxe.

User Info Menu

Well couldn't stop thinking about her today.

User Info Menu

I met her in seattle in 90 or 91 she was playing at jazz alley her bass player on the gig was a friend of a friend who asked her if she would like to go sailing she said she would so he called me and we wnt out on the lakes in my boat while we were getting ready she went below and found a funky classical guitar.I kept on board. and asked what we wanted to hear I said Jobim and she started to play amazing what came out of that junker , a few minutes she called out hey I wrote a new tune I call it bobs boat. we had a great sail she had never been sailing and really had fun, and I went to the club every night to hear her my buddy was totally in love with her and really took it hard when a few months latter we heard of her passing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Fret
    "We've noticed, how people of great creative talent often have a dark side that wants to destroy it and themselves. I'd say that the biggest fear for an artist is that if they stop destroying themselves, they won't have that other, good side." - Emily Remler

(from: Jazz Profiles: Emily Remler: Jazz Guitarist )
    I've thought and reflected on that topic in the past because I frankly can't understand it and it saddens me deeply. I've never heard it articulated in such a clear and succinct manner.

Thanks for sharing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Emily was such a lovely, soulful player and I learned a lot from her Bossa video. I was very saddened to hear about her death and now, many years later, it's still sad ...

For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been
    - John Greenleaf Whittier

User Info Menu

Da DAH DAH Da DAH DUH, "UNH!"

User Info Menu

Another great jazz guitar player from NJ, never had the chance to hear her live back in the day. I remember hearing tracks from "Firefly" on the radio and thinking what a fresh sound she had.
    A few months ago I saw the family was raising money to restore her 335 that had been badly damaged in a fire.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JGinNJ
    Another great jazz guitar player from NJ, never had the chance to hear her live back in the day. I remember hearing tracks from "Firefly" on the radio and thinking what a fresh sound she had.
    A few months ago I saw the family was raising money to restore her 335 that had been badly damaged in a fire.
    It was a 330 that she got from her brother so a lot of family connection to that guitar.