The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 110 of 110

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I think Bruce Forman really swings
    Nice vid of Forman with Josh Smith playing Super 400s in Norman's Rare Guitars.

I remember seeing Josh Smith live when he was too young to drive. He did a lot of Stevie Ray Vaughan stuff back then. (Well, too.) He's come a long way.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

How you define swing is an argument that's been going on for over a hundred years. For my personal taste, the guitarists who play long strings of not-very-inflected 8th notes - like Farlow and Ellis - even if they are playing them in jazz triplet rythms don't seem to swing as hard as those like George Barnes, who played more syncopated, very inflected types of runs. Charlie Chrisitian played long lines but they swing like crazy so maybe it's just a factor of where on the beat they occur?

User Info Menu

So, can you be "swinging" if you play even 16ths at 125+bpm with predominately accenting downbeats (but not in a regular way)? For me it's not exclusively about lop sided 8ths or accenting off beats, but can also be how the content of the line itself helps to kinda hug the groove (with chromatic approaches or enclosures etc). Of course, a strong rhythmic right hand is the key to any kind of swinging, but with a fluid ability to vary the accents to keep the groove "alive", if you know what I mean. But these accents can still fall on downbeats, eg- lets say you're double timing, so basically 4 notes to the beat, then consider;

1234 1234 1234 1234 1234 1234 1234 1234 1234 1234 1234 1234 1234 1234 1234 1234 ...

... so straight, even 16ths, with accents on downbeats. Insert the wrong notes, maybe not. Insert boppish language, then we're getting close, maybe. Now add a killing, supple right hand. Are we swinging yet?
    Last edited by princeplanet; 10-27-2019 at 12:10 PM.

User Info Menu

I think I said it above, but I'll say it again. Charlie Byrd swung as hard as any guitar player I've ever heard. I got into him back in the 70s, when he was playing with Keeter Betts on bass. IMO he outswung both Ellis and Kessel.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I think Bruce Forman really swings
    He's one of those guys who's so much better live than on recordings (not that there's anything wrong with his albums). Incredible flow, command of narrative and dynamics, great sense of swing (and humour!)...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nick1994
    if we're including modern players, then adam rogers

don't forget kurt

See, the Adam R clip just doesn't swing in the way that I take the word to represent. The Kurt one does a bit, but not really in the pocket enough compared to the mid century greats. To quote Miles "It just doesn't go into my body" ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    With the recent thread on swinging, I was wanting to hear some examples of Jazz Guitarists who swing hard. I think I know a few (Early Pat Martino on "East"). Can you name a few and give some examples for me to hear.

I always took my knowledge of swinging for granted, but now I want to hear some examples.

Thanks.
    How you define swing is totally subjective and has been under debate for ages but I would say that ANY accomplished guitarist (and so all the big names now and from the past) kind of swings hard in his own way.

DB

User Info Menu

Like most things swing eludes a binary distinction. Classifications are either so loose as to be effectively useless or so specific as to be restrictive and exclude many players who clearly do swing.

So I think there's a spectrum. Body time, as mentioned elsewhere is a bifg thing, as opposed to clock time, metronome time. Regardless ofg style it's immediately obvious which players learned timing on the bandstand, playing for dancers and so on, and who perfected their time feel in isolated practice. Most fall in between...

Wes is the most swinging. Just saying....

Feels a bit like this old skit: Even in the future nothing works! | SNL “Quien Es Mas Macho?” sketch from 2/17/19...