• John Pizzarelli
    • Hanna Richardson
    • Katie Cavera

This list is incomplete.

Yea, you forgot Brian Setzer!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by morekiller
    How about the Pizzarelli's?
    Bucky is a giant, one of the solid rocks, and son John is a chip off the old block!

Enjoy them both.

User Info Menu

Frank Vignola. Diverse player, great swing, and great taste in voicings while comping. Great teacher too. To top it all off, he's a nice guy.

User Info Menu

What about...?
    Pierre Dorge
    Lenny Breau
    Mike Stern

User Info Menu

ray crawford swung

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nick1994
    George benson for sure
    Absolutely !

Here is absolutely ridiculous chops and Swing on Oleo :

No Guitarist I have heard swings as hard as Benson.

As a Guitarist mixing R&B with Jazz and getting closer to really being able to actually do this ( lol )..
    Benson is an Inspiration and even an influence ...( which was not possible previously).

Here is Mister B on a Stevie Wonder Ballad - listen to the Vibrato ( more than he usually does ) and Masterful Playing with fills and embellishments and the way he can throw vituoso stuff in without messing up the Mood...

Also great Tension/ Release in the Tune both in the Writing and Benson's interpretation .

Last edited by Robertkoa; 05-16-2017 at 01:00 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    What about...?
    Pierre Dorge
    Lenny Breau
    Mike Stern
    Yes on Mike Stern- I was just listening to Guitarists playing Giant Steps ( not sure I actually like the Tune ) and Stern actually sounds extremely good on it and swings very well on it- super fluid too.

Stern swings great on Giant Steps here.And really nice melodic Contour on his Lines- very melodic to my ears.

Last edited by Robertkoa; 05-16-2017 at 07:44 PM.

User Info Menu

Benson is the most swinging of anyone living imo

User Info Menu

Yeah- of course it's somewhat subjective...

Charlie Christian swung so hard it sounds Rock&Roll to me (in the best sense ).

And Wes had a slightly relaxed Swing but he didn't sound 'lazy' like some relaxed Players to me - he sounded like he had a "larger pocket" kind of.

And those Funky Chord things he did were awesome

odd how very few Jazzers continued that forward...
    And extremely beneficial for me ...lol.

I have to listen to more of Wes' funkier stuff...just for inspiration.

Mike Moreno really Swings great too- he says he wasn't the best Player in his High School - but I don't think he went to a 'Normal ' High School.
    He has a LOT of talent on Guitar...strong rhythmically
    and very 'free' conceptually.
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 05-19-2017 at 03:33 PM.

User Info Menu

Yeah I like Moreno's feel a lot.

Jim Hall's feel is often overlooked....

User Info Menu

A masterclass from Frank Vignola and Vinny Raniola, two guys who can sure swing.

User Info Menu

if we're including modern players, then adam rogers

don't forget kurt

User Info Menu

Pat Metheny! Who Are Some of the Best Swinging Guitarists in Jazz History?

(Sorry i couldn't resist)

In seriousness what is the difference between this thread and a list of people's favourite guitarists?

Btw i like Adam Rogers feel a lot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Pat Metheny! Who Are Some of the Best Swinging Guitarists in Jazz History?

(Sorry i couldn't resist)

In seriousness what is the difference between this thread and a list of people's favourite guitarists?

Btw i like Adam Rogers feel a lot.
    This is exactly the question I was asking myself. In seriousness, too: I am interested in the replies.

User Info Menu

Some of the most perfect straightahead playing I have heard for a long time btw can be found in early Lage Lund. Check out his album Mis en Boutielle New York (sp? Apologies francophones.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fasstrack
    Teddy Bunn
    Eddie Diehl
    Ray Macchiarolla...
    Teddy Bunn!!!!!

User Info Menu

Which is why I always rail on about what "swing" means.

It really just means "I like it." Or rather, the lack of it is a put down to something we don't like. "That cat doesn't swing."

Just like "warm" guitar tones.

User Info Menu

There has to be more to this than a rod for mouldy old figs to beat modernists with. Modern cats don't swing. Etc.

On the other hand, I get a bit bored of the defensive backlash - 'well x could swing if they wanted to' - to which I always, think, well who cares? I mean you have to judge a musician by what they are actually doing.

I don't care if Wayne Krantz can play bebop for instance. Why would I care about that?

Does Krantz's music swing? No? Has he got amazing time and a fantastic sense of groove? Yes.

Anyway I'm loathe to get into the sort of thing where I say 'x doesn't swing as much as y yadda yadda.' Swing is a difficult word to define. For example player z might play with a swing feel and play swing music, but might not actually swing all that hard. And so on. The difficulty in unpicking this type of thing on the internet appears to lead to heated flame wars lol.

But progress in music is not like progress in science or sports - one thing is emphasised and something else is discarded.

For instance at some point it became fashionable to play mostly 8th notes in jazz lines, so we lost some of that push and pull you get from triplet embellishments, but other things become possible - perhaps it's easier to use odd groupings against the beat for instance. When we went over to bop, we lost the basic dance beat that made swing accessible. When a modern drummer metrically modulates with a soloist's cross rhythm it dissipates the tension of traditional swing polymeter, but opens up new possibilities for improvisors.

And so on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Which is why I always rail on about what "swing" means.

It really just means "I like it." Or rather, the lack of it is a put down to something we don't like. "That cat doesn't swing."

Just like "warm" guitar tones.
    … and ‘chocolatey’ distortion (oops wrong forum; besides: I swear it’s in a published book).

If we wanted to rehash the old thing, we could ask: 'tell us what you mean by “that cat swings”: does he make you dance, do you mean he’s got a nice swing style……’.

I would myself be unable to answer since I am struggling with getting a good swing feel in my lines instead of BA-DA BA-DA BA-DA… mostly because I haven’t yet figured out exactly what it is I am looking for… oh well. But Remo swings! He makes me tap my foot and smile (yep, that’s what I’m at more or less).

As Barney does, and Charlie, and …

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by radiofm74
    … and ‘chocolatey’ distortion (oops wrong forum; besides: I swear it’s in a published book).

If we wanted to rehash the old thing, we could ask: 'tell us what you mean by “that cat swings”: does he make you dance, do you mean he’s got a nice swing style……’.

I would myself be unable to answer since I am struggling with getting a good swing feel in my lines instead of BA-DA BA-DA BA-DA… mostly because I haven’t yet figured out exactly what it is I am looking for… oh well. But Remo swings! He makes me tap my foot and smile (yep, that’s what I’m at more or less).

As Barney does, and Charlie, and …

It's kind of the difference between "This guy's music swings." and "This guy swings."

The former, I'm expecting to hear music that literally swings. The latter, I'm expecting to hear a guy play really well.

User Info Menu

Wow..Teddy Bunn really had a Groove !

The ' Missing Link ' between Robert Johnson and very early Jazz Guitar ? Kinda ?

Seems unusually Polished and Slick for wayyy back then ...

Never heard the Guy before.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robertkoa
    Wow..Teddy Bunn really had a Groove !

The ' Missing Link ' between Robert Johnson and very early Jazz Guitar ? Kinda ?

Seems unusually Polished and Slick for wayyy back then ...

Never heard the Guy before.
    Sure, Bunn was very blues oriented and a single note player which was not so common back then. If you want to trace that link back, you get to Lonnie Johnson:

Polished and slick? The 1930s/early 40s were all about polished and slick...

And there was this fellow called Django, right?

The 1930s were the golden age for jazz guitar. The bop era did a lot to REMOVE the guitar from the music, until the jazz fusion era.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    There has to be more to this than a rod for mouldy old figs to beat modernists with. Modern cats don't swing. Etc.

On the other hand, I get a bit bored of the defensive backlash - 'well x could swing if they wanted to' - to which I always, think, well who cares? I mean you have to judge a musician by what they are actually doing.

I don't care if Wayne Krantz can play bebop for instance. Why would I care about that?

Does Krantz's music swing? No? Has he got amazing time and a fantastic sense of groove? Yes.

Anyway I'm loathe to get into the sort of thing where I say 'x doesn't swing as much as y yadda yadda.' Swing is a difficult word to define. For example player z might play with a swing feel and play swing music, but might not actually swing all that hard. And so on. The difficulty in unpicking this type of thing on the internet appears to lead to heated flame wars lol.

But progress in music is not like progress in science or sports - one thing is emphasised and something else is discarded.

For instance at some point it became fashionable to play mostly 8th notes in jazz lines, so we lost some of that push and pull you get from triplet embellishments, but other things become possible - perhaps it's easier to use odd groupings against the beat for instance. When we went over to bop, we lost the basic dance beat that made swing accessible. When a modern drummer metrically modulates with a soloist's cross rhythm it dissipates the tension of traditional swing polymeter, but opens up new possibilities for improvisors.

And so on.
    You've got three choices in jazz:
    1) You play in the Swing Era style of swinging-Eddie lang, Django, Freddie Green,Charlie Christian
    2) You swing in the Bop, Cool and Hard Bop style of swinging- Tal Farlow, Wes Montgomery, Jimmy Raney, Johnny Smith Kenny Burrell, Joe Pass, Jim Hall, Bruce Forman and Peter Bernstein
    3) You swing(groove) in the Fusion and Post-Jim Hall Stylists- John McLaughlin, Larry Coryell
    Pat Metheny, John Abercrombie, John Scofield, Mick Goodrick, Bill Frisell, Mike Stern, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Ben Monder, and Pat Martino.

This list was taken for the Essential Listening section of Scott Reeves, "Creative Jazz Improvisation".

When someone says some major player doesn't swing, it probably means the musician they're talking about doesn't swing in the style of one of the three styles of playing mentioned above.

An example- one older guitarist I know was given a CD of a younger, talented player.
    I asked him how it was.
    He said, " It doesn't swing", and flung it in my direction saying, "I don't want it, you can have it".