The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 110

User Info Menu

With the recent thread on swinging, I was wanting to hear some examples of Jazz Guitarists who swing hard. I think I know a few (Early Pat Martino on "East"). Can you name a few and give some examples for me to hear.

I always took my knowledge of swinging for granted, but now I want to hear some examples.

Thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'd start with Charlie Christian, the Billys (Bean and Bauer) and the immortal Wes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I'd start with Charlie Christian, the Billys (Bean and Bauer) and the immortal Wes.
    Great list. Charlie is the source of so much that followed. And he still sounds great.

Freddie Green swung like nobody's business. His swing is always solid but is never quite metronomic---what he's doing is more subtle and driving than that.

I'd throw in Barney Kessel and Herb Ellis too. Both influenced by Charlie Christian, both had long careers and were recorded in various settings.

User Info Menu

I went back and forth on including freddie...in many ways, he is the rock on which the other members of basie's band swing.

It's not metronomic, but it's close. It's a difference--very slight--in dynamics, tone, and the length of the beat--between 1 and 3 and 2 and 4. It's like Freddie is the root of all that swings, but I'm not sure if I'd recommend a newer player starting there, because rhythm guitar is a whole different beast...

It's like the guys I mentioned are in the pocket, Freddie was the damn pocket.

User Info Menu

Charlie Byrd. He swung harder than any guitarist I've ever heard. Charlie Christian is close behind. The recording of the Swing To Spirituals concert of Oh Lady Be Good is one of the swingingest songs I've ever heard, and Christian takes some great solos on it. It always makes me smile and move. Everything I've ever heard of Charlie Byrd, and I've heard a lot, swings very hard. He swung harder than any of the other members of the Great Guitars, and on anything else he played.

User Info Menu

"He swung harder than any of the other members of the Great Guitars, and on anything else he played."

? wow, I'd suggest the exact opposite
    but I never was a Byrd fan.
    now Donald Byrd or Jerry Byrd.....

User Info Menu

freddie was the rock solid heartbeat, but still swung..his time was so on, that he could play around with it, & still be in... and swing!!

early jimmy raney swung hard...he was huge into bird and really transfered alot of that kc swing feeling to the guitar

here's his quintet-featuring stan getz

cheers

User Info Menu

Maybe that's why there is so much controversy in the other thread. It seems nobody can agree on what swing is. If you can't hear Charlie Byrd swing, we're talking about different things, ISTM.

User Info Menu

charlie byrd was big into charlie christian...did a homage to cc..

swung nicely, tho i dig charlie byrd most for his more eclectic nylon stuff ie getz n byrd

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    charlie byrd was big into charlie christian...did a homage to cc..

swung nicely, tho i dig charlie byrd most for his more eclectic nylon stuff ie getz n byrd

cheers
    This is killing. Never heard this side of byrd...I've heard the bossa stuff (like it) and the great guitars (boooorrrrring) but this is great.

User Info Menu

Here's Herb and Barney doing "Tangerine." Strong swing here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    freddie was the rock solid heartbeat, but still swung..his time was so on, that he could play around with it, & still be in... and swing!!

early jimmy raney swung hard...he was huge into bird and really transfered alot of that kc swing feeling to the guitar

here's his quintet-featuring stan getz

cheers
    Love this..........
    Anyone know the name of the tune?

User Info Menu

Lee is the tune.

Jimmy always swung...but the very straight eight's way...like dex. Well. Dex was lazy 8's. Gasp, like bird. Maybe as close as a guitar player ever got.

Raney was just...incredible. if I could listen to only one guitar player...

User Info Menu

here's session info for that great raney date...it was his date...came out first on his jimmy raney plays disc

getz as sven coolson was the guest, tho in later days he got the session top billing on the reissues due to his popularity

Jimmy Raney Quintet

Stan Getz as Sven Coolson (tenor sax) Hall Overton (piano) Jimmy Raney (guitar) Red Mitchell (bass) Frank Isola (drums)
    NYC, April 23, 1953
    471 Signal Prestige PRLP 156, PRLP 7255
    472 Lee -
    473 'Round Midnight -
    474 Motion -
    * Prestige PRLP 7255; Original Jazz Classics OJC-654, OJCCD-654-2 Stan Getz - Early Stan
    = Prestige PR 7434 Stan Getz - Jazz Classics
    * Prestige PRLP 156 Jimmy Raney Plays

from Jimmy Raney Discography

cheers

User Info Menu

George benson for sure

User Info Menu

So many old school players swung hard, clean, badass chops. Any of these guys on mid to uptempo grooves could kill.

Tal Farlow
    Wes
    Burrell
    Benson
    Martino
    Pass
    Mundell Lowe
    Johnny Smith
    Howard Roberts
    Herb Ellis
    Kessel....

...so many more

User Info Menu

also, grant green

User Info Menu

How about the Pizzarelli's?

User Info Menu

I'll add a relatively obscure but IMO wonderful guitarist: Remo Palmieri. The lovely solo on Dizzy's "Groovin High" is by him. And he has lots of solos - many great ones - on a reissued Teddy Wilson "All-Star Sextet" record (the session was in 46 IIRC). He SWINGS, gracefully.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Philco
    Love this..........
    Anyone know the name of the tune?
    Yes, it's Lee by Jimmy Raney and dedicated jointly to Lee Konitz and JR's wife, Esterlee. I love all the early Raney tunes - Signal, Motion, Parker 51 (named after the pen, not Bird) - and the incredible playing by both Raney and Getz on those sides.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    Yes, it's Lee by Jimmy Raney and dedicated jointly to Lee Konitz and JR's wife, Esterlee. I love all the early Raney tunes - Signal, Motion, Parker 51 (named after the pen, not Bird) - and the incredible playing by both Raney and Getz on those sides.
    While I like early Raney my favorite recordings of his are The Master, since Jimmy plays bebop songs and Porter tunes, and Raney Live in Tokyo (my favorite standard g\b\d trio recording).

Jimmy was so lyrical.

User Info Menu

doug raney also did a killer version of (his dads tune) - lee....organ trio setting with joey defrancesco and billy hart..top band

from doug raney - the backbeat

cheers

User Info Menu

Doug always swung. What a loss...cat had a lot of music left in him.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    While I like early Raney my favorite recordings of his are The Master, since Jimmy plays bebop songs and Porter tunes, and Raney Live in Tokyo (my favorite standard g\b\d trio recording).

Jimmy was so lyrical.
    Jimmy just kept getting better...wish he would have hung around a little longer. He was seriously making some of the best records of his career near the end of his life.

User Info Menu

IMHO, nobody swings harder than George Barnes.
    Below is just one of a "bazillion" examples, when he was playing with Bucky Pizzarelli it was Swing Squared.