The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 27 of 27

User Info Menu

I never met him, but he was playing a gig @ JC Dobbs on South St and my friend the late great pianist Ted Gerike recorded him there, I think the clips are on youtube, but not 100% sure they're the ones Ted recorded. I had cassette copies of them and lent them to a guitar playing friend in NY to rip onto cd's but he claims he doesn't have them.
    another friend of mine bought a guitar and dropped it off at Billy's house after learning that he had fallen on his 175 and crushed it. I believe the guitar he dropped off was sold soon after as Billy was too far gone @ that point.
    haven't heard of the other 2 cats, although Strong sounds vaguely familiar.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

the always great prepared guitar site has posted great 3 part interview with zoller

he goes into detail about jutta..very interesting

"Did you join Jutta Hipp after you left Vera Auer's group?

AZ: That was in Frankfurt with Jutta then. I met Jutta when I went to Frankfurt, and we became friends. It was in that hillbilly club, you know. It was Nashville music in Frankfurt. They played things like "Steel Guitar Rag." (Laughs) That was the NCO club there, and there were mostly soldiers there. So it was good experience for me. Also, an accordion player played there who knew all the tunes and so on; I don't remember the accordion player's name any more. Jutta played piano. Later, I had to get some other engagements in between with other bands where I can make some money. So I went to Holland with a dance band, which was a good Jazz band actually. But they played their program for dance music. That was good; I made some money. That was not with Jutta then, however. After Holland, I went to Nuremburg. It was the end of a summer engagement in Holland, and that started for six months. We worked until March, you know. That was a great engagement. They paid three times the salary the other group paid. And after that, I went back to Jutta (in Nuremburg) because we had too many fights, you know. She was already in Germany a very established Jazz piano player. And it was like she was almost the only one on (Jazz) piano in Germany. There weren't a few good players; I mean, none played the caliber that she did. We played in Sweden and a few American club engagements in Frankfurt in '55. She came to the States in November of '55. And then I played in a Dutch band in France in different American clubs for soldiers who were stationed there. I finished with that Dutch band. Of course, I didn't work after that, and so I followed Jutta in January or February. That's why I came here in '56 - we were engaged and supposed to get married, you know. We broke up. With Jutta, I made some contacts. "

much more @

PREPARED GUITAR: Interview with Attila Zoller 1/3

cheers