The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 34

User Info Menu

Between his death and the early fifties (Jimmy Raney etc). I'm only aware of Tiny Grimes regarding this period. Any players and their recordings worth checking out? Please help close a gap in my education...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

1940's?

Barney Kessel
    Herb Ellis
    Tal Farlow

User Info Menu

the war probably curtailed a lot of recording, so your options are limited during that era.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    1940's?

Barney Kessel
    Herb Ellis
    Tal Farlow
    Thanks, any recordings? Tal Farlow with Red Norvo?

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    the war probably curtailed a lot of recording, so your options are limited during that era.
    Yes, you're probably right...

User Info Menu

I vaguely remember someone's quote that if there was no recordings of any jazz guitar between the death of Charlie Christian and the first appearance of Wes, the jazz world wouldn't lose much, or something like that... I found it harsh, but realistic
    Last edited by Hep To The Jive; 03-24-2017 at 01:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    I vaguely remember someone's quote that if there was no recordings of any jazz guitar between the death of Charlie Christian and the first appearance of Wes, the jazz world wouldn't lose much, or something like that... I found it harsh, but realistic
    Not only harsh but extremely untrue. There have been a lot of master players between Charlie and Wes.

Back to the first question, I have in mind Oscar Moore or George Barnes for instance.

Cheers.

User Info Menu

I may be wrong but the first appearance of Wes would be in the late fifties (at least on record)?, so we would've missed Jimmy Raney, Barney Kessel, Jim Hall, Herb Ellis, Kenny Burrell and a few others.....

...not to speak of Django's late fourties electric recordings....

User Info Menu

In addition to Herb, Tal, and Barney, here are a few more worth checking out:

Oscar Moore with the Nat Cole Trio : King Cole Trio: Transcriptions (1946-1950)
    Billy Bauer with Lennie Tristano: Intuition (1949)
    Oscar Aleman
    George Barnes: Vol. 1: Quiet! Gibson at Work
    Mary Osborne
    Eldon Shamblin with Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys
    Allan Reuss with Benny Carter: The Complete Benny Carter

User Info Menu

Oscar Moore,
    Irving Ashby,
    John Collins,
    Dave Barbour,
    George Barnes,
    Les Paul,

and the early beboppers
    Barney Kessel,
    Remo Palmier(i),
    Arvin Garrison,
    Chuck Wayne,
    Bill DeArango,
    Mary Osborne,
    Joe Sinacore,
    Jack Hotop,
    Barry Galbraith,
    Billy Bauer,

A couple of good resources on this subject are,
    a 4 CD box set by Proper Records titled "Hittin On All Six" which traces the history of Jazz Guitar from it's beginnings up to the early 50's. It's actually out of print but you can still pick up copies pretty easily. Not too expensive either.
    Hittin' on All Six (4CD): Amazon.co.uk: Music

There's also this book which I haven't seen myself but gets good reviews.
    The Great Jazz Guitarists: The Ultimate Guide: Amazon.co.uk: Scott Yanow: 0884088569853: Books

and also Maurice Summerfield's book "The Jazz Guitar-Its Evolution, History and Personalities since 1900". Also out of print, but he puts out a new revised edition every few decades

This era is actually something I've spent quite a lot of time researching, I've got a real thing about the swing/bebop crossover. A previous thread you might find of interest.
    Early Bebop Guitar Transcriptions.

Delighted to recommend/discuss further details on recordings on the above players.

User Info Menu

Thanks Fred and snailspace - will check those out. I love Billy Bauer's playing but only have his "Plectrist" album. A lot of those players between (roughly) 1941 and 1951 probably didn't make recordings as leaders so it's tough to find recordings unless you know how their careers developed. I dig vintage Jimmy Raney and just recently bought a Stan Getz Box set for his contributions to his albums.

eta: thanks a lot pubylakeg - much appreciated - lots of stuff to look into!
    Last edited by TOMMO; 03-24-2017 at 02:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Teddy Bunn (actually a contemporary)
    Chuck Wayne
    Ronnie Singer (a lot like Raney back then, but w/a fatter sound)...

User Info Menu

Will check 'em out fasstrack - thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pubylakeg
    a 4 CD box set by Proper Records titled "Hittin On All Six" which traces the history of Jazz Guitar from it's beginnings up to the early 50's. It's actually out of print but you can still pick up copies pretty easily. Not too expensive either.
    Hittin' on All Six (4CD): Amazon.co.uk: Music

Maurice Summerfield's book "The Jazz Guitar-Its Evolution, History and Personalities since 1900". Also out of print, but he puts out a new revised edition every few decades

Delighted to recommend/discuss further details on recordings on the above players.

Thanks again. Found both of the above used for a good price and ordered them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    I love Billy Bauer's playing but only have his "Plectrist" album. A lot of those players between (roughly) 1941 and 1951 probably didn't make recordings as leaders so it's tough to find recordings unless you know how their careers developed.
    The best choice for recordings on which Billy Bauer makes a significant contribution as a side man are the Lee Konitz album "Subconscious-Lee" (actually, one of the best recordings by the Tristano school)

Subconscious-Lee - Lee Konitz: Amazon.de: Musik

and the tunes contained on "The Essential Keynote Collection Vol 2"

Essential Keynote Collection 2: Complete Lennie Tristano - Lennie Tristano: Amazon.de: Musik

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

this fresh sound label compilation cd of three great guitarists, has given me hours of repeated listening..great (obscure) stuff!

amazons got it! highly recommended

Jazz Guitar after Charlie Christian-3-swinging-guitar-sessions-3-10-en-1-cd-jpg

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    this fresh sound label compilation cd of three great guitarists, has given me hours of repeated listening..great (obscure) stuff!

amazons got it! highly recommended

Jazz Guitar after Charlie Christian-3-swinging-guitar-sessions-3-10-en-1-cd-jpg

cheers
    Can't believe I left Wayne off my list (mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa). Good find, neatomic!

User Info Menu

Bill DeArango be-Boppin' with Diz....

User Info Menu

Thanks one more time for your recommendations and input. Will check everything out!

User Info Menu

Got both of these - excellent stuff - thanks for the recommendations!

Jazz Guitar after Charlie Christian-51tgesqcwzl-jpg

Jazz Guitar after Charlie Christian-image-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pubylakeg
    The best choice for recordings on which Billy Bauer makes a significant contribution as a side man are the Lee Konitz album "Subconscious-Lee" (actually, one of the best recordings by the Tristano school)

Subconscious-Lee - Lee Konitz: Amazon.de: Musik

and the tunes contained on "The Essential Keynote Collection Vol 2"

Essential Keynote Collection 2: Complete Lennie Tristano - Lennie Tristano: Amazon.de: Musik
    There's also this oddity - a pre-Aebersold (1955) play along album:

User Info Menu

Has anyone mentioned Sal Salvador? He doesn't get much mention but every time I hear him play I grin.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Has anyone mentioned Sal Salvador? He doesn't get much mention but every time I hear him play I grin.
    Have to check him out.

User Info Menu

If you are considering 1959 as the year of Wes' arrival (first Riverside date) I think you can make the point that there are no guitarist led recordings that are essential to the history of Jazz. Much as I love Kessell on the Poll Winners discs, or Burrell/Coltrane, or Tal and Johnny Smith at their peak, I think your right about their lack of historical impact on the development of Jazz overall.

Nonetheless, the quote goes too far in ignoring the guitar's central role in to seminal rhythm sections of the 1950s.

First, Herb Ellis and Barney Kessell in the original Oscar Peterson Trio, which also served as the house rhythm section for Verve. The Trio was critical to the Verve sound during the 1950s and a lot of classics like For Musicians Only, Diz & Getz, Sonny Side Up, Ella & Lois, etc...would sound very different without Herb's comping.

Second, guitar is integral to the emergence of the Hammond Organ trio format pioneered by Jimmy Smith. This includes both Smith's regular groups with Quentin Warren or Eddie McFadden, and, of course, the classic Blue Note recordings with Burrell like The Sermon, House Party, Softly, etc... Yes there were later trios, like Shirley Scott or Larry Young, who didn't have guitar, but they're known for being a departure from the definitive B3-guitar-drums sound.
    Last edited by ingeneri; 04-04-2017 at 11:04 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ingeneri
    If you are considering 1959 as the year of Wes' arrival (first Riverside date) I think you can make the point that there are no guitarist led recordings that are essential to the history of Jazz.
    Hmmm. Getz & Raney at Storyville. That was a brand new sound for a band. Something never heard before that changed the music to come. Many giants from that era confirmed they were blown away by this 5tet which made a lasting mark in jazz history. I don't agree with your statement.

Cheers.