The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 83

User Info Menu

Chuck was not a huge influence on me personally, but his influence in the greater musical world on musicians now working in every genre of popular music is incalculable. Like many artists, he did his best work over the course of a single decade and spent the rest of his career riding it. He melded R&B and country into something fresh and exciting and I can't listen to Johnny B. Goode without feeling happy. RIP.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Each and every solo I play is partly a rip-off from Chuk Berry's legaacy. What an influence!

User Info Menu

I had stumbled on an interview a few days ago.Where Kieth was telling Jimmy Fallon with great pride how he was punched in the face by Chuck.K found himself back stage alone with CBs guitar, case open.K decided he would just strum one chord.Timing stunck.LOL K look like he felt honored.So i decided to look at a few vids. of CB and i wake up to this.Did someone say he was like 90.Great i got 25 more years of playing and hanging around here.God willing.

User Info Menu

We all knew this would come one day. Berry was the man.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    90...thank you Chuck Berry...

you left the world a better place..and thousands of guitars play tribute to you every day..

Calls to mind a line from Bob Seger's "Rock'n'Roll Never Forgets": "All of Chuck's children are out there playing his licks."

User Info Menu

From the London Sessions album of 1972. (Just audio). Odd that this was his biggest hit.

User Info Menu

My Ding-A-Ling, I think, was actually the first Chuck Berry song I've ever heard and for one step more detachetment, it was not his version, but some studio session band playing tributes, "Smash Hits '72". On the cover there was a girl in Karate kimono, one leg lifted, so little boys would wonder if those are her knickers we can see, or maybe something even better.

User Info Menu

"C'est la vie (say the old folks)":
    Last edited by destinytot; 03-19-2017 at 12:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Chuck was the man !

Must watch Hail Hail Rock n Roll again ...

Might be the best documentary ever made
    The section with Chuck teaching Keef is priceless

"I'm gonna learn to dance ,
    If it takes me all night and day"

User Info Menu

Wow, shows you what I know. I thought he was already dead.

RIP

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    "C'est la vie (say the old folks)":

"The coolerator was crammed with TV dinners and Ginger Ale." I love that line.

User Info Menu

"Chuck Berry is the greatest rock lyricist this side of Bob Dylan, and sometimes I prefer him to Dylan."
    Robert Christgau: Chuck Berry

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Chuck was the man !

Must watch Hail Hail Rock n Roll again ...

Might be the best documentary ever made
    The section with Chuck teaching Keef is priceless

"I'm gonna learn to dance ,
    If it takes me all night and day"
    I never get tired of that part (or any of it, actually). Keith might be a rock star, but Chuck wasn't going to let him forget that the boy spent hours copping his licks, not the other way around. Not without his flaws, of course (like the rest of us), but he knew what he had created, and how his contribution had led to countless other bands that (for a bunch of reasons) would be more famous . . . but never more important.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    "Chuck Berry is the greatest rock lyricist this side of Bob Dylan, and sometimes I prefer him to Dylan."
    Robert Christgau: Chuck Berry

They both developed a way to make vernacular speech flow. Chuck's genius was for having a strong rhythmic flow without making the lyrics sound forced. He never sounds sing-songy. (Well, aside from "My Ding-A-Ling")

Dylan writes better about romantic love and loss and remembrance. (Love wasn't a big theme of Chuck's.) Dylan seems to know more chords (!) and has a stronger gift for melody.

User Info Menu

Nice discussion of how Berry "invented" RnR:

Chuck Berry didn’t just invent rock and roll. He perfected it.

Probably the most coherent view of Berry and his accomplishment:

Chuck Berry, dead at 90, invented the idea of rock and roll.

Chuck was the first great lyricist of RnR. He also had, uh, interesting flaws that would almost certainly doom him in today's environment. I mean, Roman Polanski has been crucified for less.

Not to detract from what he did or what he meant. He was a true pioneer.

User Info Menu

The song "Rock and Roll Music" contains the following:

I've got no kick against modern jazz
    Unless they try to play it too darn fast
    And lose the beauty of the melody
    Until they sound just like a symphony

I always thought it was a little wrong-headed but cool and clever anyway. Anyone who can articulate the moldy fig position in the middle of a rock and roll classic has got to be a major dude.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    They both developed a way to make vernacular speech flow. Chuck's genius was for having a strong rhythmic flow without making the lyrics sound forced. He never sounds sing-songy. (Well, aside from "My Ding-A-Ling")

Dylan writes better about romantic love and loss and remembrance. (Love wasn't a big theme of Chuck's.) Dylan seems to know more chords (!) and has a stronger gift for melody.

I always thought that Subterranean Homesick Blues was inspired by Too Much Monkey Business.

"Runnin' to and fro hard working at the mill never fail in the mail yet come a rotten bill"

"Johnny's in the basement mixin' up the medicine I'm on the pavement thinkin' 'bout the government"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrcee
    I always thought that Subterranean Homesick Blues was inspired by Too Much Monkey Business.

"Runnin' to and fro hard working at the mill never fail in the mail yet come a rotten bill"

"Johnny's in the basement mixin' up the medicine I'm on the pavement thinkin' 'bout the government"

I heard "Subterranean" first, but as soon as I heard "Monkey Business," I knew which end was up.

Not one time did I ever wish to be Elvis, Jerry Lee, Muddy, Wolf, or even Johnny Cash -- but I've spent many a songwriting hour wishing I could put it all together (just once) the way Chuck Berry did.

If I had it to do all over -- from the time I first started to play -- I'd play little more than Chuck Berry and Freddie King tunes, and let the chips fall where they may.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snailspace
    I heard "Subterranean" first, but as soon as I heard "Monkey Business," I knew which end was up.

Not one time did I ever wish to be Elvis, Jerry Lee, Muddy, Wolf, or even Johnny Cash -- but I've spent many a songwriting hour wishing I could put it all together (just once) the way Chuck Berry did.

If I had it to do all over -- from the time I first started to play -- I'd play little more than Chuck Berry and Freddie King tunes, and let the chips fall where they may.

You can go a long way with Chuck Berry and Freddie King. And the chips are always going to fall where
    they may.

User Info Menu

When I'm doing Americana type gigs, 90% of my solos' content is Chuck Berry vocabulary.
    Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 03-20-2017 at 11:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrcee
    And the chips are always going to fall where they may.
    I'm finding this out more and more. It's never too late to learn, but I always learn too late.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snailspace
    [...]I'd play little more than Chuck Berry and Freddie King tunes, and let the chips fall where they may.
    Freddie's a badass.

User Info Menu

Ever consider this lineage ? :

Charlie Christian > Chuck Berry > Rock'n'Roll > 90% of todays consumed music.

His influence is just too great to get your head around. Guitar based, exciting, teen rebel music started with Chuck, and led to Stones, Beatles and everything else since, yeah sure, even hiphop. Bigger influence than the Beatles, Hendrix, Sinatra, Parker, probably everyone except Louis Armstrong.

We should build a fucking huge monument. He made our lives so much better! He didn't write the song, but with Chuck dead, we can now safely say, with due sadness, that the thrill is gone. And oh my, what a thrill it was!

Roll over Beethoven....