The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 120

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    "
    Gene Puerling"

I have to admit I had to google that name, but now I see he was in the Hi Lo's etc..
    Genius vocal arranger for The Singer's Unlimited.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Man that's tough. So many I hate to leave off. But if I had to carve it all down to 5....

-Bill Evans
    -Chet Baker
    -Miles
    -Monk
    -Aaron Parks

User Info Menu

Feels weird leaving off all the drummers. I am drawn so heavily to lush harmony and lyrical melody... but drummers really make the music dance in ways that harmony and melody can't. And if I'm being honest, I feel like drummers have influenced me more than any other instrument in the way they teach us to FEEL and swing. Art Blakey, Philly Jo, Elvin, Tony, Billy Higgins... good lord... there should really be a whole separate "which 5" thread just for discussing how important and influential the drummers in our tradition have been on us.

*I just realized I listed 5 drummers above. I didn't intend to start the 5 drummers list with that. They were just the first ones that came to mind. Which I guess means that's probably a good starting point. Though I might fight with myself to try and squeeze in one or two modern players to make things feel more balanced and authentic for me if I were going to make an official list.

User Info Menu

I can’t believe I forgot Vince Guaraldi! Had to go back and edit my list.

Last edited by zcostilla; 06-20-2019 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Spelling

User Info Menu

Good to see some love here for Hank Mobley , underrated player ( except amongst elite hipster cognoscenti )

User Info Menu

Only the famous ones seem to make it to those kinds of lists. I'm never gonna feel compelled to put "Coltrane" on such a list just because you're supposed to. What counts for me ultimately is what moves me. So many greats don't get the fame they deserve. A space of five is a little short but here goes. Two singers. One arranger - people like Quincy Jones are sorely missing in today's jazz.

Frank Sinatra
    Anita O'Day
    Clifford Brown
    Mulgrew Miller
    Quincy Jones

User Info Menu

Oh well, Sinatra isn‘t exactly unknown...

As far as I‘m concerned, naturally I started listening to the big names first because they were the ones that were most readily available. But guess what - they weren‘t big names for nothing.

You wouldn‘t know most of the people I listen to now, but I‘m too old to be moved by them in such a big way as I was moved by Dexter when I was nineteen.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Louis Armstrong (trumpet)
    Bobby Hackett (trumpet)
    Art Van Damme (accordian)
    Urbie Green (T-bone)
    Toots Theilman (harmonica)

And.... sneaking these in under the obscure fusion rule

Chic Corea
    Joe Zawinul

That was hard... I left off band leaders, composers, drummers... (et al)
    Last edited by geogio; 08-04-2019 at 07:05 AM.

User Info Menu

1. Keith Jarrett
    2. Bill Evans
    3. Duke Ellington
    4. Monk
    5. Wayne Shorter

Not necessarily in that order, except for Jarrett

User Info Menu

1. Thelonious Monk - rhythmically, melodically and harmonically
    2. Miles Davis - say it with less
    3. John Coltrane - say it with more
    4. Jon Hassell* - creative use of technology can bring you to timbres never imagined
    5. Kenny Wheeler - gorgeous music with gorgeous tone

User Info Menu

It is interesting, how influence and like differ as Christian stated in the original post.
    Maybe I am wrong, but it seems some answers do not differentiate, and list poster's heroes.

I really like drummers, DeJohnette, Tony Williams, Billy Higgins, Paul Motian, Dave Weckl, but their execution of rhythm is so different compared to either guitar solo or accompaniment I can not imagine how they could influence me (except "everything influences what we hear regularly")

Anyway here is my list:

Keith Jarrett
    Bill Evans
    Charlie Haden
    Miles Davis
    Dexter Gordon
    Freddie Hubbard (sorry I can not leave him out)
    Last edited by Gabor; 07-23-2019 at 02:15 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jbear
    1. Keith Emerson
    Reading this I recognized, I left Emerson from my list. There is no way I was not influenced by him, because after more than 30 years I still recall every note in Tarkus or in The Barbarian, when re-listening any LP.
    Last edited by Gabor; 07-25-2019 at 01:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87

9. Glen Gould--though, hopefully not his posture
    It is interesting you mentioned Gould, but not mentioned neither Jarrett, Bill Evans, or Mehldau. I think there is some connection, 1) the poetry, and the arc of the lines 2) the clear execution of counterpoint and in general polyphony. (Unfortunately this is way hardest to do on guitar, but Kreisberg and Jesse van Ruller did some amazing stuff on that territory.)

User Info Menu

Non-guitar...hmm.... maybe I'll also do non-vocal, because that would be a big one as well...

Benny Goodman's clarinet
    Harry Connick Jr's piano
    Clarence Clemons' saxophone
    Louis Armstrong's horn
    ...then I'd have to generically say ALL the big band horn sections from Benny Goodman, Glen Miller, and Tommy Dorsey

User Info Menu

Mose Allison
    Keith Jarrett
    Bill Evans
    Thelonius Monk
    Tom Jobim
    Last edited by rhl-ferndale; 07-23-2019 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Correction

User Info Menu

Thelonious
    Sonny
    Miles
    Steve (Swallow)
    Gary (Burton)

User Info Menu

Stan Getz
    Bill Evans
    Joao Gilberto
    Antonio Carlos Jobim
    Nat Cole

Bill Evans seems to be a recurring name.

User Info Menu

Ron Carter
    Bill Evans
    Ahmad Jamal
    Bobby Hutcherson
    Charles Lloyd

User Info Menu

1. Hoagy Carmichael
    2. Dizzy Gillespie
    3. Nat King Cole
    4. Count Basie
    5. Donald Fagen

6th place:
    Duke Ellington
    Miles Davis
    Herbie Hancock
    Ella Fitzgerald
    Victor Young
    Wayne Shorter
    George Gershwin
    Jimmy Giuffre
    Horace Silver
    Arif Mardin

User Info Menu

I think a more interesting thread would be adding clips to go with the answer. Influence should be noticeable to some extent in one's playing. For example Rene Thomas and Jimmy Raney. Or Tal Farlow and Dan Axelrod. Just to name some very clear examples. I realise sometimes it is way more subtle than in the aformentioned cases but still. If there is no discernable effect on or trace in one's playing what exactly is the influence?

Seems to me most people here just state a few guys they like or admire or find inspirational. That's ok but that is not influence IMHO.

I mean I could state I am deeply influenced by Bird, Bill Evans and Coltrane and still sound like Jerry Garcia on a bad day. What is that influence worth?

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JCat
    1. Hoagy Carmichael
    2. Dizzy Gillespie
    3. Nat King Cole
    4. Count Basie
    5. Donald Fagen
    Just love Hoagy - a man of many talents that really made a mark. Of course there is the many fine songs he wrote, with Stardust often being sited as one of the 'best' structured songs and Georgia on My Mind, where each generation offers up a timeless cover of this classic. Add to this the many first-rate films he was in (Young Man With A Horn being a must-see for those into jazz).

Hoagy was often the life of a Hollywood party; E.g Lauren Bacall recalls a time that Bogie and her had a party and the informal entertainment; Hoagy and Judy Garland!

User Info Menu

Don Stiernberg. I play mandolin (classical, fiddle tunes) and sort of rediscovered jazz through Don.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog
    If there is no discernable effect on or trace in one's playing what exactly is the influence?

Seems to me most people here just state a few guys they like or admire or find inspirational. That's ok but that is not influence IMHO.

I mean I could state I am deeply influenced by Bird, Bill Evans and Coltrane and still sound like Jerry Garcia on a bad day. What is that influence worth?

DB
    I've read the thread from the top. Current standings:

1 Miles Davis
    2 Bill Evans
    3 John Coltrane
    4 Thelonious Monk
    5 Dexter Gordon
    6 Charlie Parker
    7 Charles Mingus
    8 Sonny Rollins
    9 Stan Getz
    10 Louis Armstrong

My wife (in this context a paraphrase for the average middle age pop consumer) could have made this list by random name dropping. These are just very well known names in jazz and for good reasons. We are all influenced by these guys one way or another.

MIke Moreno said "People don't know what influence is. They think they know, but they don't. You should be able to play the music created by the guys that inspired you." ..."Think about your influences. -Are they really an influence to you? Can everybody in this room get up and for 3hours, without repeating themselves, play the music by their favorite composers?" ..."You start by learning pop-tunes by ear. You got to make use of the inspiration to take it to the next level. I've been learning from what I've been listening to. Listening to records, copying note by note. Then I started to listen to music without guitar and for me that was the shit, much more than any jazz record made by a guitar player."

Before we move on, let's just stop and reflect over the fact that we are talking about non-guitar jazz musicians in this thread. I'm personally more influenced by the writers, arrangers and producers, rather than the performers. But rest assured I've been copying my guitar heroes note by note (and some players of other instruments too for that matter).

An artist inspires someone to pick up and learn to play an instrument. The music I like to listen to influences my perception of music, regardless if I plan to make it part of my repertoire or not. The more I play, the less time I spend listening to records/performances. The more time I spend composing, the less time I spend studying other peoples work. So I need to recharge every now and then. The cycle typically goes; 1. I look for inspiration and absorb material made by my influence and train my ears; 2. I express myself (practice/gig/compose/record); 3. Recharge/look for new influences/train ears, and so on.

User Info Menu

Sonny Rollins!

I like everything about the guy's playing. Intellectual yet accessible. Virtuosic, but only in pursuit of an idea - never to show off. His tone implies an ironic sense of humor, to my ear.

When I want to hear jazz, I listen to his recordings. This is who I would emulate.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtfree
    Sonny Rollins!

I like everything about the guy's playing. Intellectual yet accessible. Virtuosic, but only in pursuit of an idea - never to show off. His tone implies an ironic sense of humor, to my ear.

When I want to hear jazz, I listen to his recordings. This is who I would emulate.
    Do you prefer his early period (say until mid 60's?) more so than what he's done since?