Dave Brubeck
    Paul Desmond
    Joe Morello
    Eugene Wright
    John Coltrane

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    1) All time it's T Monk. Like half his catalog is in my head. I like how he mixes tradish playing with adventurous harmonies and he was a great composer.
    2) Jimmy Smith. I really like his aggressive use of rhythm. Not the most lyrical player ever, but it really teaches you to use rhythm.
    3) Charlie Parker. I like how he outlines the chords in his solos.
    4) Milt Jackson. His lines have a really great combo of rhythmic momentum and catchy and melodic phrases.
    5) Bill Evans. Can lack an earthy sound of the more bluesy greats, but is silly good at times. His autumn leaves is one of the best recorded tunes and solos of all time imo.
    Yeah man, Jimmy Smith!
    What a great musician, very influential player and composer.

I've reflected on what I've been doing since I posted my list over two years ago:

• Hoagy Carmichael
    • Thelonious Monk
    • Dizzy Gillespie
    • Pat Metheny
    • Tom Jobim
    • Blossom Dearie
    • Herb Ellis
    • John Coltrane
    • Paul Desmond
    • Charles Mingus
    • Horace Silver
    • Miles Davis
    • Jimmy Smith
    • George Benson
    • Wes Montgomery
    • Victor Young
    • Cole Porter
    • Billie Holiday
    • George Gershwin
    • Joe Pass
    • Fats Waller
    • Ella Fitzgerald
    • Bird
    • Sonny Rollins
    • Jim Hall

I'm influenced by all these people! For the past 2,5 years I've been studying and playing material from their catalogues. It's impossible to rank them in order of priority, but Hoagy is still up there and Dizzy and Miles and Wes and...

-Could I stand up and play any of them for 3 hours without repeating myself? No way.

But I could play all of them for 3 hours without repeating myself. I'm a shameless cherry picker.

User Info Menu

Mostly Monk and Miles here, with a bit of a twist of Cole Porter.

User Info Menu

Every week - Lester Young, Paul Desmond - they'd be in my list every week.

This week - Miles Davis, Gary Burton, Thelonious Monk - they could well all be gone from the list next week, but would probably return again at some future date.

User Info Menu

1. Bill Evans
    2. Miles Davis
    3. John Coltrane
    4. Wayne Shorter
    5. Stan Getz

User Info Menu

1. Bill Evans
    2. T. Monk
    3. Charlie Parker
    4. Bud Powell
    5. Miles Davis

User Info Menu

1. Dexter Gordon
    2. Miles Davis
    3. Kenny Drew
    4. Hoagy Carmichael
    5. Stan Getz

User Info Menu

Probably

John Coltrane, for everything.
    Ben Webster, for his style and feel.
    Curtis Mayfield, I basically want to play electric guitar the way he sings.
    Red Garland for his touch.
    Sonny Stitt, great lines.
    Charles Mingus, for his sound.

.. I know it's supposed to be five but... I managed to leave drummers, singers out, I left Monk out, I left Stevie Wonder out, ....

Also, most of the well known older gospel singers (like Mahalia Jackson), have been a big influence on my playing, I used to do transcriptions of vocals.. Gospel is the one style of music I like more than Jazz..

User Info Menu

One jazz musician not yet mentioned who would definitely make my list is Joe Henderson. He covered so much ground yet always had his own sound. A great composer and improviser, Joe was comfortable in just about any musical situation either as leader or sideman. I feel the same way about Jesse van Ruller and it’s no surprise that JVR’s last guitar trio record was dedicated to Joe Henderson.

If I was to make such a list, my first thought might be to include a bunch of the usual suspects. However, as a working player, I’d have to say that I’m even more influenced by the incredible musicians I get to perform with each week.

User Info Menu

Miles Davis
    John Coltrane
    McCoy Tyner
    Bill Evans
    Charlie Parker

User Info Menu

It's hard to pick 5, but these are the ones that first came to mind:

Carla Bley
    Charles Mingus
    Herbie Hancock
    Steve Lacy
    Elvin Jones

User Info Menu

Not sure if there’s “influence” or not. I wish!

But I always come back to the sounds and expressions of these non-guitarists most of all:

Ahmad Jamal
    Miles
    Lester Young
    Ella Fitzgerald
    Billie Holiday

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    One jazz musician not yet mentioned who would definitely make my list is Joe Henderson. He covered so much ground yet always had his own sound. A great composer and improviser, Joe was comfortable in just about any musical situation either as leader or sideman. I feel the same way about Jesse van Ruller and it’s no surprise that JVR’s last guitar trio record was dedicated to Joe Henderson.

If I was to make such a list, my first thought might be to include a bunch of the usual suspects. However, as a working player, I’d have to say that I’m even more influenced by the incredible musicians I get to perform with each week.
    Joe's amazing.

User Info Menu

Tubby Hayes
    George Shearing
    Marian McPartland
    Victor Feldman
    Humphrey Lyttelton

And Dave Tough, even though he was not British.

User Info Menu

I'll be honest, I would be hard pressed to name 5 jazz guitar players that influenced me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vintagelove
    I'll be honest, I would be hard pressed to name 5 jazz guitar players that influenced me.
    It's not about guitarists ...

User Info Menu

Lessee now….

Ray Brown
    Jeff Palmer
    Sam Ulano
    Dexter Gordon
    Giovanni Hidalgo

at least in this moment.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vintagelove
    Different topic, but I agree.

User Info Menu

Desmond, Getz, Ron Carter, Oscar Peterson, Shirley Horn. Desmond and Getz as much for the guitarists they worked with as much as their own incomparable playing, Ron Carter for his drive and teaching me how to play the 7-string guitar by example, Oscar Peterson for his arrangements and drama as well as his ferocious swing, and Shirley Horn for her seemingly endless patience, especially when playing or singing ballads.

User Info Menu

In thinking about this again, I'm not sure.

I think Paul Desmond would be one, because I wore out one of his albums when I was a teenager.

I play a bunch of stuff in 4th voicings, which I didn't get directly from McCoy, but I got it from a guitarist who was influenced by McCoy. Is there a transitive property to it?

I think that hearing the Basie band's swing feel helped. So did James Brown.

I studied for years with a multi-instrumentalist who mostly played kb. Does that count?

I fell in love with Brazilian music after hearing a Rosa Passos (vocal and guitar) album.