Posts 51 to 66 of 66

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

(3 or 4 threads have now been merged.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RonD
    jaco,
    I didn't want to click the like thing, but wanted to acknowledge and express that I'm so sorry for your loss.
    I'd love to hear some memories, when you're ready.
    My thoughts are with you.

Ron
    class, all the way Ron.
    I am sorry you lost your friend Jaco. And Larry, you were a legend. Most of us live long lives and never really live at all. You lived. And you left behind a legacy. We will remember you. I wish I had a quarter of your ability.
    Rest forever in peace and harmony.
    Joe D

I was going through some of the recorded lessons that I had with Larry today...He liked to through a tune at you..."you play this one? (me) "well not really"..."Good, it's in BFlat,1,2,3,4...there's one lesson where we're going over "there will never be a never you" . Now this is a guy who recorded with Chet Baker... and he wants me to sing the melody with him...I will honestly say it's the most horrendous
    vocalizing ever recorded...God I miss him already...

User Info Menu

This morphs into a blues....priceless!

User Info Menu

God Bless Larry! What a cat!

User Info Menu

Another sad loss ... saw Larry when I was in college, solo acoustic, just blazing away for 2 hours. Had that on cassette tape, listened to it a lot.

User Info Menu

I find it heartwarming that so many here have been moved by the passing of this master guitarist. He was a special human being. Here is a picture of Larry and I sharing a joke during one of the concerts we played together:

Larry Coryell, RIP-marc-larry-joking-jpg RIP Larry C. and thanks for the inspiration

User Info Menu

A minute ago I got onto YouTube to dial in some music to work by. Found a Larry Coryell record from the '70's I never heard that was put up on the site very recently. The first remark was "RIP Larry". He died I guess yesterday at 73 of heart failure in NYC. One of my favorites since the early '70's, I managed to see him twice. The first time was at a small seminar in a classroom at the University of Maryland around 1974 and the second was several years later when the Eleventh House came to a roadhouse saloon in the northern suburbs of Baltimore.

User Info Menu

Stringswinger,

Great photo. Must've been a fun gig.

Jaco,

Sorry for the loss of your teacher--what a teacher!

Everyone,

Wow! It's tough to lose a figure like Larry Coryell. He combined great musicality _and_ great humanity/humility in one package. To me, this is a true musical icon.

Here is a sweet track that Larry recorded (double-tracked) on his LoPrinzi LR-15 acoustic for "The Guitar Player Album" in 1976. It's Chick Corea's "Spain," which became a staple in LC's repertoire.

We will all miss you, Mr. Coryell.

User Info Menu

LC died Sunday night, after a gig at the Iridium...peacefully in his sleep.

User Info Menu

sad news

User Info Menu

Man oh man, another true hero of mine personally. Is now gone. At least I got to see him perform several times live over the decades.

User Info Menu

And just a couple of weeks ago, Al Jarreau. Not a guitarist, but a fine jazzy musician. It's been a bad month for this.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu